Looting the Eye of Divinity
So I have made a deal with a raiding guild. In exchange for some flask mats, they will let me loot an Eye of Divinity during their weekly MC clear.

Last week I went, got to fight most of the bosses, had some fun, and the Eye didn't drop. So I'm due to come back this week and try again... however here is the problem.

This week we are doing our first attempt at MC. So if I go with this guild, I will be raidlocked out of our first attempt which I'd like to avoid.

So to get to the point about looting the Eye, I have a theory and I want to know if anyone can confirm whether it will work.

My plan:

1. Wait outside the instance (either in or out of the raid) for Domo to go down.
2. Have them check the chest. If the Eye is there, zone in, get summoned, loot it, and trade my stuff to them. I'll be raid locked out of our own trip but it's worth it.
3. If if isn't there, don't zone in and therefore not get raidlocked.

Will this work? I might attempt to try it with a tribute run, i.e. have them kill the king, check the chest, then see if I can come in and loot something (it should be the same).
vor_lord,May 15 2006, 05:06 PM Wrote:So I have made a deal with a raiding guild.  In exchange for some flask mats, they will let me loot an Eye of Divinity during their weekly MC clear.

Last week I went, got to fight most of the bosses, had some fun, and the Eye didn't drop.  So I'm due to come back this week and try again... however here is the problem.

This week we are doing our first attempt at MC.  So if I go with this guild, I will be raidlocked out of our first attempt which I'd like to avoid.

So to get to the point about looting the Eye, I have a theory and I want to know if anyone can confirm whether it will work.

My plan:

1.  Wait outside the instance (either in or out of the raid) for Domo to go down.
2.  Have them check the chest.  If the Eye is there, zone in, get summoned, loot it, and trade my stuff to them.  I'll be raid locked out of our own trip but it's worth it.
3.  If if isn't there, don't zone in and therefore not get raidlocked.

Will this work?  I might attempt to try it with a tribute run, i.e. have them kill the king, check the chest, then see if I can come in and loot something (it should be the same).
[right][snapback]109953[/snapback][/right]

I am 90% sure you need to be present when the fight ends and the chest spawns.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Rinnhart,May 15 2006, 08:23 PM Wrote:I am 90% sure you need to be present when the fight ends and the chest spawns.
[right][snapback]109955[/snapback][/right]

Nope. You can loot the chest whether you were there or not.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Quark,May 15 2006, 08:31 PM Wrote:Nope.  You can loot the chest whether you were there or not.
[right][snapback]109956[/snapback][/right]

Truth. The chest works just like every other chest in the game.
The question is whether zoning in will lock you to that instance. I'm really not sure. They've got AQ and ZG set up like that, but maybe not MC.
See you in Town,
-Z
vor_lord,May 16 2006, 01:06 AM Wrote:Will this work?

Yes. The chest despawns after a short period of time (5 minutes?) but that should be plenty if the raiding guild are on their toes and you're ready and waiting to zone and get summoned.
You don't know what you're talking about.
vor_lord,May 15 2006, 08:06 PM Wrote:So I have made a deal with a raiding guild.  In exchange for some flask mats, they will let me loot an Eye of Divinity during their weekly MC clear.

Last week I went, got to fight most of the bosses, had some fun, and the Eye didn't drop.  So I'm due to come back this week and try again... however here is the problem.

This week we are doing our first attempt at MC.  So if I go with this guild, I will be raidlocked out of our first attempt which I'd like to avoid.

My plan:

1.  Wait outside the instance (either in or out of the raid) for Domo to go down.
2.  Have them check the chest.  If the Eye is there, zone in, get summoned, loot it, and trade my stuff to them.  I'll be raid locked out of our own trip but it's worth it.
3.  If if isn't there, don't zone in and therefore not get raidlocked.

Will this work?  I might attempt to try it with a tribute run, i.e. have them kill the king, check the chest, then see if I can come in and loot something (it should be the same).

Yep this sounds like the best plan. No eye, no raid lock. If you get the eye you get raid locked, but you can go get your benediction and make the early stages of Molten Core a little bit easier to learn. I know I really want you to be there on Necrali for the first run if you can (though having you there on Durambar would be OK)
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Zarathustra,May 15 2006, 08:54 PM Wrote:The question is whether zoning in will lock you to that instance.  I'm really not sure.  They've got AQ and ZG set up like that, but maybe not MC.
[right][snapback]109958[/snapback][/right]

It will lock him to the instance. If you zone into any instance where a boss has been killed or the raid leader is already locked to that instance you will get raid locked. So since the RL will have a lock.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Xukuth,May 15 2006, 05:54 PM Wrote:Truth. The chest works just like every other chest in the game.
[right][snapback]109957[/snapback][/right]

Neat. Too bad I don't play a hunter or priest.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
lfd,May 16 2006, 01:54 AM Wrote:Yes.  The chest despawns after a short period of time (5 minutes?) but that should be plenty if the raiding guild are on their toes and you're ready and waiting to zone and get summoned.
[right][snapback]109959[/snapback][/right]

I don't know how long, but someone from experience (someone was afk) it is atleast 20 minutes.
Ok thanks everyone. I thought that would work, sounds like it's my plan then.
Had a friend do this. He didn't notice a "you are saved" message until the raid happened to kill a mob on the way to rag (jut left barebones folks to summon to avoid delaying the raid).

If you can get in and out fast enough, there may be a small chance of avoiding the lock. Wouldn't bet on it though.

Cache of the Firelord can be looted by anyone standing beside it. The DM Tribute and the Chest of the Seven in BRD work the same way. I had my druid get summoned in to pick up the Impervious Giant from BRD a while back.

Also, I can confirm you'll be raid-locked. I go back from time to time to fill in an 11th hour slot for my old raiding guild on Magtheridon and everytime I step through the portal I get "You are now saved to this instance".

I hope it drops for you soon, though!
To be clear, Vor_Lord:

Yes, you can wait outside the instance, and step in to be summoned if you find out the Eye dropped. You *will* be saved to the instance (raidlocked) *as soon as you step in*, but, you can be summoned to the chest and loot the eye whether you were inside for the kill or not.

The only time you can go into MC and not be saved to the instance is if the one you're entering has 0 bosses down. You get raidlocked as soon as Luci dies, or if you're stepping into one that any bosses are already dead. ZG works the same way.

--Mav