Tips: Customizable?
Is there a way, via a config file or mod, to change the existing tips shown on loading screens? Just a random idea of mine, as it'd be fun to have guild-related jokes and such display for people while they load zones. Especially if I was able to come up with enough and not tell them what they'd say ahead of time.

Any ideas?
See you in Town,
-Z
First tip: Cast waterwalk on your raidmates as they jump down to Buru's pool in AQ20 for loads of laughter and fun!
These are probably stored in one of the MPQ data files - there's no reason to store them server side. They are probably either in the Interface section, along with the standard Blizzard UI code, or in a text file or DBC file (database format file) somewhere else in the MPQ's.

If they are just in an MPQ, then I think you could create a new version and override them. If they are in the interface code, I think you cannot override that code anymore but you may be able to change the text array with an AddOn.

I would suggest you try asking on the WoW UI forum.
I doubt you can. You can't do it with an add-on (mod), since add-ons aren't loaded until you log in by which time the tip has already been displayed. You are not allowed to edit the MPQs directly and I imagine would trip the anti-cheat checks if you did.
Quote:Is there a way, via a config file or mod, to change the existing tips shown on loading screens?

I found an AddOn that did this.
http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info...omedicTips.html

It looks like it uses the file override mechanism to override a DBC file from the MPQ's. This means that it is technically not kosher (although IMHO it is unlikely that it will be noticed).

You can edit the file with a good text/hex editor to say what you want. The only catch is that each line must have the same length as before, to preserve the DBC format. You'll notice the modified file has blank space at the end of each line to match the offical version's line lengths. Just type in "replace" mode instead of "insert" and you should be fine.
Quote:I found an AddOn that did this.
http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info...omedicTips.html

It looks like it uses the file override mechanism to override a DBC file from the MPQ's. This means that it is technically not kosher (although IMHO it is unlikely that it will be noticed).

You can edit the file with a good text/hex editor to say what you want. The only catch is that each line must have the same length as before, to preserve the DBC format. You'll notice the modified file has blank space at the end of each line to match the offical version's line lengths. Just type in "replace" mode instead of "insert" and you should be fine.

Hm... I tried editting the document and got an error saying I had about two thousand too many columns in it... any thoughts?
See you in Town,
-Z
Quote:Hm... I tried editting the document and got an error saying I had about two thousand too many columns in it... any thoughts?

It is a file that has some raw binary data in it, so text editors not made for that may choke on it. I would try a professional text editor or a hex editor. EditPad, UltraEdit, EMACS, etc all have free/trial versions.