Fear in 1.11
Quote:[snippy].... which I still have only participated in maybe 4 times total.

Simulating World PvP 101: Standing in the middle of the field of strife when the zerg is elsewhere easily stands in for roaming pvp in realatively high traffic zones like EPL. While you're there, why not try ganking in front of the portal. It's just like camping the flight master in thorium point!

Dying to try a little Blackrock Mountain PvP? No problem! Just stand under the opposition's graveyard in Warsong Gulch. Defending a flag in Arathi Basin feels a lot like being the only person out front of the UBRS portal: you know something bad's coming, you just don't know when.

Unfortunately there's no equivalent to dressing up as pirates and taking over the Menthil-Theramore boat.

The moral of this story? Battlegrounds are okay, but pirates kick A#$@.

Back slightly on topic: Does anyone have any impressions of fear post-patch yet? I'm dying to have a bash at some warlocks to find out, but won't be able to play for a couple of days.
I hate flags

"Then Honor System came out and I had b*$@& tattoo'd on my forehead and a "kick me" sign taped to my back." - Tiku

Stormscale: Treglies, UD Mage; Treggles, 49 Orc Shaman; Tregor, semi-un-retired Druid.

Terenas (all retired): 60 Druid; 60 Shaman. (Not very creative with my character selection, am I?!Wink
Quote:Simulating World PvP 101: Standing in the middle of the field of strife when the zerg is elsewhere easily stands in for roaming pvp in realatively high traffic zones like EPL. While you're there, why not try ganking in front of the portal. It's just like camping the flight master in thorium point!

Dying to try a little Blackrock Mountain PvP? No problem! Just stand under the opposition's graveyard in Warsong Gulch. Defending a flag in Arathi Basin feels a lot like being the only person out front of the UBRS portal: you know something bad's coming, you just don't know when.

Unfortunately there's no equivalent to dressing up as pirates and taking over the Menthil-Theramore boat.

The moral of this story? Battlegrounds are okay, but pirates kick A#$@.

Back slightly on topic: Does anyone have any impressions of fear post-patch yet? I'm dying to have a bash at some warlocks to find out, but won't be able to play for a couple of days.

I must say I'm a little disappointed that there is no indexing on DoT spells to make them less likely to break fear other than their DoT nature. OTOH, the break on DD sounds good. I pretty much thought fear should break on nukes.
HoT is indeed subject to diminshing returns, and is on the same DR timer as other fear effects... which is the only way it will ever actually be affected by DR.

Lissa is correct though that if HoT is the only fear being applied, DR will not be invoked due to the lengthy cooldown.

So it's more of a coincidence than a "special" fear as far as DR goes.
Less QQ more Pew Pew
Quote:I didn't mean diminishing returns- those spells had the same mechanics for handling duration and break chance with players as with NPCs, meaning they usually lasted their full duration regardless of what was happening. Fear and Psychic scream haven't done that in a very long time, for good reason.

I don't see a reason to nerf Intimidating Shout further. It's on a very long cooldown (three minutes compared to thirty seconds for Psychic Scream and however long Howl of Terror is), costs a significant amount of Rage, and has been reduced to a maximum of five targets, and the primary target is automatically broken out of Fear if he takes any damage of any kind from any source.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Quote:I don't see a reason to nerf Intimidating Shout further. It's on a very long cooldown (three minutes compared to thirty seconds for Psychic Scream and however long Howl of Terror is), costs a significant amount of Rage, and has been reduced to a maximum of five targets, and the primary target is automatically broken out of Fear if he takes any damage of any kind from any source.

Because axe-weilding wrecking balls don't need CC, especially in an environment that is group-centric when they're so easy to heal.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Experimentation over the last week with Fear in PvE seems to indicate that Fear breaks a lot higher than 1500 DPS. Either that or the game is calculating the damage involved by dividing the damage the spell does by the time it takes to cast. I saw a number of times where I was running with Fel Stamina (Sacced VW through Demonic Sacrifice for 3% health returned every tick) where I would have Immolate, Corruption, Curse of Agony and fear a mob and then hit it with a Shadowbolt that would do around 1k damage and see 2 of the 3 DoTs tick at the same time the SB landed and not have fear break (this was definitely over 1.5k threshold if PvE is 3 times PvP). Fear also seemed to not break quite as often although the pRNG did get nasty on a number of occassions (Fear and a DoT at the same time cancelled several fears immediately).

For Testing purposes, I was farming Twilights (close to 20 Robes and 20 shoulders and only like 6 cowls to show for it... :x) and bugs in the Ashi Hive.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Howl of Terror has a 2 minute cool, BTW.
Quote:Howl of Terror has a 2 minute cool, BTW.

40 seconds...20 seconds on the fear.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

What the hell, is that new? I could have sworn it was a couple minutes.
Quote:What the hell, is that new? I could have sworn it was a couple minutes.

Use to be 30 seconds and 15 seconds, now it's 40 and 20.

Quote:Use to be 30 seconds and 15 seconds, now it's 40 and 20.

as of when? Thott still has it listed as 15 second duration on the fear.
Quote:as of when? Thott still has it listed as 15 second duration on the fear.

Several patches ago. Thottbot really only updates new finds, drop rates, and new non-loot items added, but rarely goes back and edits other information that has been in game for a while.

What's the effective PVP duration?
Quote:What's the effective PVP duration?

20/10/5/Immune

They changed both HoT and Fear at the same time. Fear went from a 1.5 s cast to 2 s cast and from 15 s duration to 20 s duration.