The Big Ooze
In the worst kept secret in the game department, there's an exploit involving the rare non-combat pet oozling. As part of its cute properties, the oozling casts a minor debuff on you. Sounds harmless, right? Well, the thing is that you can make a macro that activates the oozling quickly thirty-two times, summoning and dismissing it in rapid succession. Doing so so quickly, you end up with 16 oozling debuffs on you, which pushes off any other debuff on you. Priest and warlock dots on you? Gone. Mortal Strike on you? Gone. Crippling poison? Gone.

The biggest place where this comes into play is on the C'Thun encounter. During phase 2 of the encounter, people get swallowed up into C'Thun's belly. Inside the belly, there are two tentacles that you have to kill to make C'Thun vulnerable to attack outside. However, when you're inside the stomach, you get a stacking dot that gradually ramps up to the point that it would kill you very quickly, so normally players who get swallowed only get a short time to lay as much damage on the tentacles as possible before they have to leave the stomach. However, someone with the oozling can just knock off the stomach acid debuff, stay in the stomach indefinitely, burn through the tentacles in rapid succession, and make the C'Thun encounter almost trivial for the people outside the stomach as C'Thun goes vulnerable far more often than he would normally.

This exploit has been known and around for a long time. In fact, the first world C'Thun kill shot has an oozling macro on the guy's hotbar. I've been queasy about reporting this bug here in that I didn't want to encourage more people to use the exploit, but it's so well known now -- and some people aren't even bashful about it -- that it seemed silly to hold back on the information any longer. I can't understand why Blizzard hasn't hotfixed such a major exploit, especially when it's being used so commonly to beat the biggest baddest boss in the game. All they have to do is remove the oozling debuff temporarily until they get their better debuff system put in place.
I would think an easier solution would be to make the Oozling debuff unique, so you can only have one of it on you at once. Then re-summoning it would only refresh/replace its debuff.
Quote:I would think an easier solution would be to make the Oozling debuff unique, so you can only have one of it on you at once. Then re-summoning it would only refresh/replace its debuff.

Or, just make it an aura.;)
Now I'm confused

http://blue.cardplace.com/cache/wow-general/7959055.htm
Quote:Poster: Eyonix at 4/19/2006 2:24:53 PM PDT
Subject: Re: Oozeling exploit?
The bug causing the Oozeling's Disgusting Aura to stack with itself had been hotfixed the moment it was first discovered, so you may once again enjoy the company of your little Disgusting Oozeling, free of both fear and resentment.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Quote:Now I'm confused

http://blue.cardplace.com/cache/wow-general/7959055.htm

It wasn't fixed, and I was confused by that same post. The above referenced fix may have removed some problem that may have caused the oozling to actually be dangerous to the user, but I can assure you that the exploit part of it hasn't been fixed. It may be that summoning the ooze repeatedly so rapidly causes the the person to still get all the debuffs or perhaps each debuff as it comes up gets assigned to a new debuff slot because the old one hasn't been known to have been cleared yet. Whatever the cause, yes, the exploit still very much works.
It's verified that this exploit has not been fixed in the 1.11 beta patch.
Out of frustration, I finally posted a bug report on the Test realm forum, saying that this oozling exploit hasn't been fixed. After a couple of days of being on the forum, the post seems to have been deleted (while other posts I've made haven't been), so I'm hoping that this is an indication that Blizzard is taking this seriously. I don't know what it's like on other servers, but on Tichondrius, all of the high level ooze areas are camped 24/7 with people trying to farm oozlings for themselves. For a while, people were only using the oozlings to speed up PvE encounters, but lately some players have stopped even being embarrassed about using the oozling in PvP. Heck, some groups brazenly give their WSG flag carriers oozlings so that they can knock off any crowd control debuffs cast on them. It's really getting out of hand.

I also filed a formal bug report in game through the game masters a couple days ago and got an actual personal conversation with a GM rather than the usual macro conversation. I hope one of these methods manages to get feedback back to the game coders/designers so that this gets fixed.
Newsflash! The oozling exploit was hotfixed out of the game sometime earlier today. Finally! I guess reporting bugs sometimes does work. I don't know why it took Blizzard so long to fix it or if it was a matter of them not knowing about it why they didn't learn about such a commonly used exploit until now. But whatever, the exploit has been fixed. Guilds can actually fight C'Thun the way he was meant to be fought. It'll be entertaining to see how many C'Thun killing guilds suddenly find themselves unable to kill him now.
Hotfixed on live or test relms?
Quote:Hotfixed on live or test relms?

Live.