How true, how true...
Quote:Also, this has got to be one of the smoothest patches I've ever been involved with simply from a addons perspective. Wow. Not a single one of my addons really is causing me headaches other than AllInOne Inventory.

BTW, if anyone has an addon similiar (I hate having to have seperate bags), let me know. I tire of having to force something into my backpack or doing a /console reloadui to see what's in it.

I will agree, the add-ons not being broken, except in a few cases (I had to go to Nurfed UI Alpha since the original version was totally hosed, but I like the new Alpha, just waiting for Tivoli to get the Alpha HUD out now).
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.

Oh by the way FileFront.com is free, and faster than some other free sites. Got 96K/sec download for the full patch, close to my 'best possible'.
As an aside, I'm not saying that the system is perfect. I think they do need a better solution. I'm just arguing that there is no way to tell if a majority of people had an issue, or a minority, or half of them, or only ewoks, etc.:P
The Blizzard bittorrent client does not appear to support trackerless downloads; therefore, when their tracker is down (as it was for pretty much all of the patch day in Europe, along with the website and the forums - WHY can they not run a low bandwidth site with announcements on throughout the day?), you can leave the window open as much as you like and it won't budge past 83%, which is what the background bandwidth drowner fetched in the days prior to patch day.

Extracting the torrent file out of the downloader file and running it in your own choice of bittorrent client gives you a smoother download with bandwidth limits you can manage and lets you seed for others after download is completed. There really is no excuse for the shoddiness of the Blizzard implementation.
You don't know what you're talking about.
Quote:The Blizzard bittorrent client does not appear to support trackerless downloads; therefore, when their tracker is down (as it was for pretty much all of the patch day in Europe, along with the website and the forums - WHY can they not run a low bandwidth site with announcements on throughout the day?), you can leave the window open as much as you like and it won't budge past 83%, which is what the background bandwidth drowner fetched in the days prior to patch day.

Extracting the torrent file out of the downloader file and running it in your own choice of bittorrent client gives you a smoother download with bandwidth limits you can manage and lets you seed for others after download is completed. There really is no excuse for the shoddiness of the Blizzard implementation.

This I agree with. I actually loved the background downloader and getting the patch this way was the smoothest patch day ever for me, but yes I should be able to manage my bandwidth usage and be able to sit there and let others pull from me when I'm done if I want to.

Go ahead and set the default settings on their client to the crap that it is now if they want, but give a real client.... The concept is sound, but the implementation is blowful.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
The 1.11 patching process was a travesty.

My wife went home early to deal with it; she got a 20 minute download. I came home at 6 and started downloading; I was done around midnight.

During that time, I saw over 50 threads with the themes 83%, can't download, mirrors are clogged, stuck at 99%, it says I have a firewall up and I don't, port fix not working, etc. There were 18 major threads between general and tech support, with a combined total of nearly 1 million views.

For those of you that didn't have a problem, great; but the problems were widespread and it's very clear that Blizzard needs to shell out some money (like every other company does) and get a professional working system.
Quote:The 1.11 patching process was a travesty.

My wife went home early to deal with it; she got a 20 minute download. I came home at 6 and started downloading; I was done around midnight.

During that time, I saw over 50 threads with the themes 83%, can't download, mirrors are clogged, stuck at 99%, it says I have a firewall up and I don't, port fix not working, etc. There were 18 major threads between general and tech support, with a combined total of nearly 1 million views.

For those of you that didn't have a problem, great; but the problems were widespread and it's very clear that Blizzard needs to shell out some money (like every other company does) and get a professional working system.
My son had to wait about 30 minutes for the DL, and then he had a bunch of different error messages that blocked his playing. I wasn't paying much attention, as I just replied with "Go read a book." :lol: I then hung up the phone and went back to doing my work.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:My wife went home early to deal with it; she got a 20 minute download. I came home at 6 and started downloading; I was done around midnight.

It may interest you to know that once one computer has the patch files, you can copy them to any computer and run the patcher (assuming they are both PC's or both macs).

Alternatively you can patch one computer and then copy the entire WoW directory over the other computer's directory (assuming you both use the same AddOns or no AddOns).

It may be possible to patch one computer, and then copy the MPQ files from it to another, even if one is a mac and one is a PC. However this may cause one computer to explode and/or open a rift in space-time.
Quote:It may interest you to know that once one computer has the patch files, you can copy them to any computer and run the patcher (assuming they are both PC's or both macs).

I used to do this all the time since I could only set-up port forwarding on the router to allow one machine to download the patch. I would get it on one and then just copy it over to the other machine and patch from there.

But now that I get 2 dynamically assigned IP's from my ISP I don't bother with the extra layer of the router anymore.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Quote:It may interest you to know that once one computer has the patch files, you can copy them to any computer and run the patcher (assuming they are both PC's or both macs).

Cool, thanks for the tip. :) I'm PC and she's Mac, but I'm willing to risk the end of reality as we know it if there's a remote chance of eliminating 1.11's pain. :D
Quote:Cool, thanks for the tip. :) I'm PC and she's Mac, but I'm willing to risk the end of reality as we know it if there's a remote chance of eliminating 1.11's pain. :D

http://a.wirebrain.de/wow/ saved me a lot of headache.
Quote:I can't believe you bought into that. You should know that the people upset are those most likely to talk about something. I spoke with at least 3 other people on patch day who had similar situations to mine ... started, went to 83% for a bit, got some connection info, then finished quickly.

Yes, it has some problems. No, it's not nearly on the level that some people make it out to be. Remember when the downloader first start and people went nuts? Everyone who disabled it still kept lagging -> it was our server sucking, not the downloader. 1.11 was the smoothest patch day I ever had. That's not coincidental.

damned smooth here, too. 10 minutes, I was *done*
--Mav
Worst patch day ever for me . Used to be fine , smooth and quick . This one was 13% in , refused to go any further for 4 hours and kept telling me I was behind a firewall which was turned off before patching . After 4 hours , gave in and used a third party site , got the patch in minutes .
Take care
Quote:Worst patch day ever for me . Used to be fine , smooth and quick . This one was 13% in , refused to go any further for 4 hours and kept telling me I was behind a firewall which was turned off before patching . After 4 hours , gave in and used a third party site , got the patch in minutes .

Well what happened is probably this:
The tracker was down.
Your client couldn't reach the tracker.
And concluded you were behind a firewall.
Client switches to slow direct download.
Which never gets you anywhere.

My tip:
If the client thinks you are beind a firewall, and you definately aren't: Restart the client. It will try to autodetect again.
Yeah when I say 4 hours , that is 4 hours of constantly cancelling it and restarting , on and off around 30 - 40 times , just did the same thing , went to 13% and stayed there .
Take care
Downloading patch data before the day? Good. Having a BitTorrent client that WON'T THROTTLE THE UPLOAD?! Bad.

My ping quadrupled whenever the BD was on. I worked around it by killing it during WoW and manually starting it outside of WoW, but that's just ridiculous. You think they could design it not to choke out the program it's supposed to run behind.