D1 europe
i recently acquired a copy of diablo 1 after years of searching (it's gotten to be quite difficult to find... i can't even find that big collection anymore.)

however, what the seller declined to inform me was that this is apparently the european version.

does anyone know if there is/was a censorship issue?

i'd give him a piece of my mind, but if the game is identical to the US version then i'm not really bothered.
Define "censorship issue", as I really have no clue what you mean.

I have a non-US version (the Australian version), and it is identical to the US version.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Quote:Define "censorship issue", as I really have no clue what you mean.

well, really, anything. blood being cut out, for example, or the succubi being edited.
The european version of Diablo is the same as the US/UK/whatever version. In terms of censorship, they're all the same, because there is no censorship in any version of this game.
not even the succubi?

wow, thanks. you just saved someone some verbal abuse.
Quote:not even the succubi?

wow, thanks. you just saved someone some verbal abuse.

Someone seems awefully eager to see those uncensored succubi! :shuriken:
And correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have stricter censorship laws in the US than that of (the majority of) Europe's, when it comes to nudity?
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Quote:And correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have stricter censorship laws in the US than that of (the majority of) Europe's, when it comes to nudity?

In some cases, yes. But I don't think video games would be one of those cases. AFAIK the U.S. video game industry is almost entirely self-regulated (although that could have changed in recent years without me noticing).

Diablo was far more controversial in parts of Europe than it was in the U.S., although I don't think topless succubi were the main cause for concern. Our German posters could probably elaborate more on that.
Quote:And correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have stricter censorship laws in the US than that of (the majority of) Europe's, when it comes to nudity?

we do, but mostly for console games. a good example would be the older castlevania games (SNES and earlier): a lot of statues, obviously hundreds of years old and sculpted in the classical style (complete with nudity, which was considered art back then), had the robes or whatever that they held pulled up over their breasts.

another example is fahrenheit/indigo prophecy. the nudity and sex scenes are cut out entirely of the US release. if the game had been PC only, it probably would not have been cut. (maybe.) however, as it was also released on the console...

violence, on the other hand, has always been a staple, especially with PC games since in the 80s and early 90s they were not as widespread as they are now. remember when mortal kombat made such a gigantic splash for being over-the-top with violence? that was in the days when arcades still mattered, consoles were mainstream, but PCs were still fringe. we'd had slaughterfests in PC games for years beforehand, and nobody kicked up much of a fuss. look at the original system shock: body parts EVERYWHERE. and i do mean everywhere- corpses, limbs, skeletons, gore, what have you. nobody noticed, because the game has, even to this day, never made it to a console or handheld.

mortal kombat, for all the fact that it's crap, pushed the envelope for violence in arcade and console games here in the united states. though i notice it still took a long time for console games to have any amount of foul language beyond the occasional "damn", "hell" or "bastard". meanwhile PC games have been cussing up a storm pretty much this whole time.
pff:Pno, i just don't believe in censorship of games. i'd probably have been angrier if the violence had been cut.
Quote:i'd probably have been angrier if the violence had been cut.

What exactly would Diablo look like without any violence?

Kings Flower of Haste
Godly Hugging Suit of the Whale

:P

Cheers,

Munk

Quote:Godly Hugging Suit of the Whale
Damn cheaters;)
you might be right there, i was almost inclined to say the same as Lenny stating european censorship is much less strict than US, but you raise a good point there, US is strict on sex and nudity, europe (or at least some countries) are more strict towards violence, For instance i still remember Carmageddon, in which, for the German version, the pedestrians were cut out and replaced by zombies with green blood.
Characters: Standard Diablo Rogues: 'Paardenpoep' l36, 'Purechocolade' l31; Sorcerers 'Toverkol' l40, 'Zwarte Piet' l32, 'ZureHaring' l28 (no fb), Warrior 'Klotebeest' l29, LoL characters: rogues 'Roggebrood' l26 and 'Ironvrouw' l7, sorcerer ToverLol l20, warrior LolleBolleGijs l16 ironman character name 'Ironlady', read Toverlol's journey log