Balance Druid Idol
http://www.thottbot.com/test?i=53722

Supposedly drops on the Test Realm.

Now the questions...

First, is this before +damage gear is factored in? Druid talents are applied as such, and that means +17% before gear doesn't add up to much.

Second, "up to" 17% implies diminishing based on casting time of the spell, which would mean Moonfire wouldn't get much at all. *grumbles*

Any news from the PTR?
See you in Town,
-Z
I think the spell specific ones apply the full benefit. The "upto" phrasing applies to downranked spells. Though I guess its not really necessary since its 17%, not x damage.
Quote:I think the spell specific ones apply the full benefit. The "upto" phrasing applies to downranked spells. Though I guess its not really necessary since its 17%, not x damage.

If only it were so. But looking at the Libram of Divinity we can see that Blizzard doesn't work that way. They gave that item "up to 53" increased healing on Flash of Light. Since it's such a short casting time, you really only receive 23-24 bonus.

The reasoning is that if this item gave "up to 53 healing" to all spells, Flash of Light would still receive the lesser amount. The "up to" portion is to keep it consistent with other items when comparing.

That's what worries me. Moonfire is an instant-cast spell and also has the damage spread between the direct damage and the DoT. Additionally, the Moonfury talent for Druids applies its damage bonus BEFORE gear bonuses. This means you get very little actual bonus out of the talent. I would not be surprised if the relic did the same thing.
See you in Town,
-Z
I kind of hope it has the same meaning of "up to 17%" meaning that it really only does like 40% of that, since moonfire is an instant case spell. Otherwise, that would be far more than a blue item. It'd be a high value epic item at the very least. It would be a lot of power to give from one item slot.
Quote:I kind of hope it has the same meaning of "up to 17%" meaning that it really only does like 40% of that, since moonfire is an instant case spell. Otherwise, that would be far more than a blue item. It'd be a high value epic item at the very least. It would be a lot of power to give from one item slot.

Hard to say until and unless I get my hands on one. "Up to" cast time scaling seems odd on a percentage item to me. That would mean a hypothitical "up to +X% to fire spells" would give the full bonus to a minute's worth of Fireball but half that to a minute's worth of Scorch.
We've often seen anything found through datamining be confused about whether the percent sign belongs in there or not.

My bet is that this is an 'up to +17 damage to moonfire' item, meaning that moonfire actually gets 15% of 17 added to the insta-damage, or 2.5, and 52% of 17 added to the DoT, or 8.8. Total expected damage, 11.3. Not that awesome but not terrible, especially if you're doing the moonfire spam by dropping the max-rank moonfire, then spamming a lower-rank moonfire.