Reputation questions
A few questions:

1) Syndicate rep still exists, right?
2) What way(s) can a non-rogue discover or modify Ravenholdt and Syndicate factions?
3) any easier/lower level tricks for rogues and Syndicate?
4) Scarlet Crusade rep still doesn't exist, right?
5) Are there any known examples of substiantially ranking up Ravenholdt or Syndicate rep? (i.e. revered/exalted Ravenholdt, neutral or better Syndicate) Most people seem to assume there's no effect or reward, has this been experimentally confirmed?
6) Now that they've fixed the level 10 Argent Dawn horse in stormwind, what are the easiest ways to lower your Argent Dawn rep--particularly for a low level character?
7) If you lower your Argent Dawn or Cenarion Circle rep below that which normally causes KOS behavior (hated?) do ones hanging out in capitals attack you as you pass by?
8) Are there civilians of the non-playable factions?
9) If they carpeted Florida, how long do you think it would take to vaccuum it?
10) Is there any explanation or use known for the ability to go at-war with Argent Dawn and Cenarion Circle?
11) It's known that the AOE effects of factions neutral to you hurt you; does your AOE catch them? Does it depend on the at-war switch? Can an undead player get in a fight with an ogrimmar guard (for example), short of the weird faction changing debuff?
12) If a player neutral and not at war to a faction gets mind controlled, and attacks a faction guard, does the fight stop when the MC breaks? What if they're friendly or better? At war?

-- frink
Quote:A few questions:

2) What way(s) can a non-rogue discover or modify Ravenholdt and Syndicate factions?
5) Are there any known examples of substiantially ranking up Ravenholdt or Syndicate rep? (i.e. revered/exalted Ravenholdt, neutral or better Syndicate) Most people seem to assume there's no effect or reward, has this been experimentally confirmed?

I'm curious about this, too.

Quote:4) Scarlet Crusade rep still doesn't exist, right?

Correct. However, you can get one of their tabards in the SM Armory for dress-up. Also, if you get a corrupted Ashbringer, you can rp with them for a bit. And then there are the disguises you can get in WPL and EPL that let you hang out with the scarlet crusade a bit.

Quote:6) Now that they've fixed the level 10 Argent Dawn horse in stormwind, what are the easiest ways to lower your Argent Dawn rep--particularly for a low level character?

For high level characters, you can obviously go "At War" with the AD and kill the people at the Bulwark or Chillwind Camp. For lower level characters, I'm not sure. There are a couple of Argent Dawn NPC's who give out quests for BFD in Darnassus. You might check their levels. They might spawn city guards when you attack them, though.

Quote:7) If you lower your Argent Dawn or Cenarion Circle rep below that which normally causes KOS behavior (hated?) do ones hanging out in capitals attack you as you pass by?
8) Are there civilians of the non-playable factions?

If they're like the goblins, some will and some won't. Vendors, for example, tend to be passive unless you attack them first. However, other NPC's will attack on sight. Guards will obviously always attack on sight.

Quote:9) If they carpeted Florida, how long do you think it would take to vaccuum it?

No time at all, because Florida sucks. (rim-shot)

Quote:10) Is there any explanation or use known for the ability to go at-war with Argent Dawn and Cenarion Circle?

To rp. You don't get a cool hat for doing it, however. It used to be that you could go at war with the CC to make it so that your spells could affect the guards. For example, when going after people snipering in Cenarian Hold, I would go at war with the CC so that my psychic screams would affect the guards and buy me some time to run away. I don't know if the guards are still fearable, though, since they've been buffed over time.

Quote:11) It's known that the AOE effects of factions neutral to you hurt you; does your AOE catch them? Does it depend on the at-war switch? Can an undead player get in a fight with an ogrimmar guard (for example), short of the weird faction changing debuff?
12) If a player neutral and not at war to a faction gets mind controlled, and attacks a faction guard, does the fight stop when the MC breaks? What if they're friendly or better? At war?

You can't MC or damage someone of a faction with whom you are not at war. You can't normally go at war with someone of your own faction. However, I've heard that there is some horde quest that involves some disguise debuff that temporarily places you at war with orgrimmar. I've never done the quest and am not sure what it is, but I've heard of stories of people doing funny stuff like MC'ing Saurfang and owning people with him while under the influence of this debuff. I think they changed it so that Saurfang can't be MC'd anymore, though.

No. Which blows, because they have some great foreshadowing. If they add something in, now, it will of course be on an UBER NEW FACTION!!!!111one!1.

Quote:2) What way(s) can a non-rogue discover or modify Ravenholdt and Syndicate factions?

Ravenholdt, go to the manor, talk to an NPC. Syndicate faction doesn't exist to be discovered.

Quote:3) any easier/lower level tricks for rogues and Syndicate?

There's the early ravenholdt lines- but I'm not sure what you're asking for.

Quote:5) Are there any known examples of substiantially ranking up Ravenholdt or Syndicate rep? (i.e. revered/exalted Ravenholdt, neutral or better Syndicate) Most people seem to assume there's no effect or reward, has this been experimentally confirmed?

It is impossible to raise your Ravenholdt faction as a non-rogue. Rogues are limited by available quest lines. I don't recall the level 60 repeatable as raising Ravenholdt faction, so friendly is the limit.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Quote:For high level characters, you can obviously go "At War" with the AD and kill the people at the Bulwark or Chillwind Camp. For lower level characters, I'm not sure. There are a couple of Argent Dawn NPC's who give out quests for BFD in Darnassus. You might check their levels. They might spawn city guards when you attack them, though.
I have not checked recently but there was an Argent Dawn representative in Dun Morogh between Ironforge and the Amberstill Ranch. He (Father Gavin, level 15) is basically by himself so he should be easy to deal with without bothering others.

There is a also an Argent Dawn quest giver in Desolace, Azore Aldamort, level 60. Also this one is off by himself near the shore, so he should be relatively easy to deal without much adds. But be more cautious on this one as you could interfer with some that are trying to do quests.
The goofball hinterlands trolls have their own faction, which is currently as useless as the rogue one.
Quote: However, you can get one of their tabards in the SM Armory for dress-up.

Whats this about ? Ran that place a bazillion times and never heard of this:P
Take care
Quote:Whats this about ? Ran that place a bazillion times and never heard of this:P

They reintroduced them in the 1.11 patch. Back in the beta, you used to get scarlet tabards off the adds that come in after you kill Herod, but for some reason, they removed them in release. Now, they're back! It typically takes a few runs to get one.

Syndicate rep does exist, here is a screenshot of my rogue. I took this screeny today. I got hated with syndicate by completing a repeatable heavy junkbox turn in. For every 5 boxes you get positive ravenholdt and negative syndicate. As well as a stack of green throwing knives. Any items in the box can be removed, the coins have to stay in :(

I then went around killing syndicate mobs in Hillsbrad and Alterac Mountains to see if my rep would go down, but no it didn't.
Quote:Syndicate rep does exist, here is a screenshot of my rogue. I took this screeny today. I got hated with syndicate by completing a repeatable heavy junkbox turn in. For every 5 boxes you get positive ravenholdt and negative syndicate. As well as a stack of green throwing knives. Any items in the box can be removed, the coins have to stay in :(

I then went around killing syndicate mobs in Hillsbrad and Alterac Mountains to see if my rep would go down, but no it didn't.

oooh

How old's your rogue? I know I had a syndicate rep bar on my paladin, ages ago, but it's since vanished. My rogue- I don't think there's one, but I'd have to double check.

How high is your Ravenholdt faction? Do you know if there's a cap?
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Quote:The goofball hinterlands trolls have their own faction, which is currently as useless as the rogue one.

Not any more. The Revantusk trolls were showing as friendly to my undead mage, and had no listed faction, when I was wandering round the village earlier this week. The highest you could get with them before was about two-thirds through neutral; friendly wasn't possible.

Quote:However, I've heard that there is some horde quest that involves some disguise debuff that temporarily places you at war with orgrimmar. I've never done the quest and am not sure what it is

The quest series is the Test of Faith/Endurance/Strength/Lore questline that starts from the tauren npc Dorn Plainstalker in a cave near the centaurs in Thousand Needles. It's a fun questline that takes you to the top of a bluff with only one way down, killing harpies on a hellish respawn timer, hunting down an elite mob, into an underground cave which has the particular preset layout that I absolutely _hate_ and always get lost in, and finally into the Scarlet Monastery. These last two steps have you retrieve books. When you turn them in to the questgiver, he asks you a question, the answer to which can be found by reading the book (which you can only do _before_ you turn it in and get the question). If you answer incorrectly, you get the Mark of Shame debuff, which renders you Unfriendly to the horde faction (so you aren't Kill On Sight, but you can't use vendors etc - and you can attack the horde faction and kill them with no loss of reputation).

Unfortunately there's a 1.11 patch note which states that the Mark Of Shame debuff has been removed from the game. Apparently too many people were having fun with it, or using it to kill off e.g. that repairing tauren next to the auction house that everybody uses with no consequences. So instead of fixing the problem, they removed it from the game, in a move I like to think of as the Blizzard "De Seis Thief" solution ;-)
You don't know what you're talking about.
Quote:They reintroduced them in the 1.11 patch. Back in the beta, you used to get scarlet tabards off the adds that come in after you kill Herod, but for some reason, they removed them in release. Now, they're back! It typically takes a few runs to get one.

Ahh cheers m8 , bummer , I run Herod and stopped killing the adds , must go check it out:)

Edit : 5 mins later I get one on the first run , well 2 , just unique and can only pick up one:)

Take care
Quote:When you turn them in to the questgiver, he asks you a question, the answer to which can be found by reading the book (which you can only do _before_ you turn it in and get the question). If you answer incorrectly, you get the Mark of Shame debuff, which renders you Unfriendly to the horde faction (so you aren't Kill On Sight, but you can't use vendors etc - and you can attack the horde faction and kill them with no loss of reputation).

Aha, no wonder. I always answered the question correctly. Silly me!
Quote:oooh

How old's your rogue? I know I had a syndicate rep bar on my paladin, ages ago, but it's since vanished. My rogue- I don't think there's one, but I'd have to double check.

How high is your Ravenholdt faction? Do you know if there's a cap?

Sorry to take so long to reply. My rogue is my original 60, but I use him to farm for fish and gold now. My main is a 60 priest. The syndicate/ravenholdt faction change was recently, in the last 4 months I am very sure.

I know this because I finally got around to completing the lvl 50 rogue quest which takes you to ravenholdt mansion. I saw then that there was a repeatable quest and decided to try it out. At this stage I have handed in the quest 3-5 times. Thats 15-25 junkboxes. The knives are cool, only in that you very rarely see them on any rogue:P

My ravenholdt rep is friendly, from memory at each hand in I get -100 syndicate and +25 ravenholdt reputation.
Sorry to bump an ancient topic, but I'm trying to figure out how http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/#charact...agonmaw&n=Warla managed to get Ravenholdt rep as a Warlock and this came up early on the Google results. Has new information come to light?
Quote:Sorry to bump an ancient topic, but I'm trying to figure out how http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/#charact...agonmaw&n=Warla managed to get Ravenholdt rep as a Warlock and this came up early on the Gogole results. Has new information come to light?
I don't know how you came across Warla, but there was a post about this on Blizzard's forums where the player said he put up a post on the realm forums, offering 1g a pop for 2,800 lockboxes. Is it true? I have no idea...
As far as I know, Meadows of my old realm, Thunderhorn, is the only rogue to hit Exalted with Ravenholdt. They address you as "Master" as you walk in and salute, bow, etc., but other than that it affects nothing.

He posted on the realm forums offering money for every lockbox, and it wasn't long before the server ground the rep for him.
See you in Town,
-Z
Quote:The goofball hinterlands trolls have their own faction, which is currently as useless as the rogue one.

No, it's gone now, as is Wildhammer faction in Hinter, also.
--Mav
Quote:No, it's gone now, as is Wildhammer faction in Hinter, also.

Yes, but back in July 2006 when the post you quoted was made, both existed ;-)
You don't know what you're talking about.
Quote:Yes, but back in July 2006 when the post you quoted was made, both existed ;-)

Hehe, I see that now, but, I wasn't the necromancer in this case, either ;P
--Mav
As others have said, there's a repeatable quest to turn in Heavy Junkbox.

The quest, titled "Junkboxes Needed" is offered by Fahrad, the Grand Master Rogue at Ravenholdt Manor. These junkboxes are only obtainable by pickpocketing high level mobs. Hence the need to offer gold in exchange for Junkboxes that can be turned in by non-Rogues. :)
Waltzing through the darkside ... of the lighter side of life.