Unable to connect to Battle.net
I have tried to connect to battle.net for the first time in about 2 months (lost my cd) and it gives me this message:

"
Unable to connect to battle.net. You may
be trying to connect to an invalid battle.net
server. If you are using a modem, you may need to
manualy connect to the Internet before
connecting to battle.net. For more
information go to:
www.battle.net/support/errormessages/
"

I have seen this message before, and i usualy corrected it by turning off my firewalls (McAfee, and Windows) but in this case i get the same message every time? I have also restarted/reinstalled numerous times. Has anyone a cure for this delema?
-Ace360
If it's a fresh Diablo install, you will need to patch the game manually.
Quote:If it's a fresh Diablo install, you will need to patch the game manually.

It is patched to v1.09
Quote:It is patched to v1.09

What server are you connecting to? What does Wireshark show?
Quote:Kp' date='Jul 15 2006, 09:32 PM' post='113810']
What server are you connecting to? What does Wireshark show?

Wireshark?, What is that, i never used a program/application called wireshark to play diablo before?
Wireshark
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Quote:Wireshark

i have dial up so here comes a "long" download...
I have Wireshark but i have no idea how to use it in conjunction with diablo.
Quote:I have Wireshark but i have no idea how to use it in conjunction with diablo.

Historically, Ethereal did not work with dial-up adapters. Unless that has been fixed, you may need to get DSL or cable before you can use Wireshark.:)
Have you tried changing the gateway you're trying to connect to?

Also, are you connecting directly to the internet or do you have a network or router of some kind?
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Have you tried connecting to Battle.net on other games; is the problem only with Diablo, or is something between you and Battle.net? I'd say go grab some shareware if you don't own anymore, but we (especially me) all know how fun that is on dial-up.

Quote:Also, are you connecting directly to the internet or do you have a network or router of some kind?

A dial-up network, eh? There's a hell I hope I never have to experience.

--me
Quote:A dial-up network, eh? There's a hell I hope I never have to experience.

I guess my point was that he used to be able to get on and now he can't, so I was wondering what had changed in the mean time.

--Pete
Yes i have dial up (AOL) and yes it does not work well with ANYTHING that has to do with internet, lol. I tried all my other availible gateways within diablo and could not get past "Connecting to fastest server" on any of them. And no one really awnsered what wireshark exactly does for diablo. I couldnt understand the website too well, not to blunt about it.

EDIT

Another question, how do you set up a "new" or unlisted gateway?
Quote:Yes i have dial up (AOL) and yes it does not work well with ANYTHING that has to do with internet, lol. I tried all my other availible gateways within diablo and could not get past "Connecting to fastest server" on any of them. And no one really awnsered what wireshark exactly does for diablo. I couldnt understand the website too well, not to blunt about it.

EDIT

Another question, how do you set up a "new" or unlisted gateway?

Switch off AOL. That'll do so much good for you right there...
Quote:Another question, how do you set up a "new" or unlisted gateway?

By either editing the Windows registry by hand (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Battle.net\Configuration), or using a gateway configuration tool.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Quote:Kp' date='Jul 18 2006, 02:35 AM' post='113967']
Switch off AOL. That'll do so much good for you right there...

AOL is my only means of connecting to the internet tho (I WANT BITWISE)

Does it have to do with me having windows xp, cause i do know that it runs differently on 98 and below?

Does it have to do with me having windows xp, cause i do know that it runs differently on 98 and below? (Something about the packets recieving/sending differently i think)
Quote:AOL is my only means of connecting to the internet tho (I WANT BITWISE)

Does it have to do with me having windows xp, cause i do know that it runs differently on 98 and below?

Does it have to do with me having windows xp, cause i do know that it runs differently on 98 and below? (Something about the packets recieving/sending differently i think)

I run Diablo on XP.

I would suspect that your problem is that you connect through AOL's network, and I've heard that they do all kinds of funky things to the connection before you get to the actual internet. I don't know, though, because I've never had AOL.

--Pete
I've unfortunatly had to deel with AOL dial-up and diablo before... not fun.
Well my only knowledge about it now, is that AOL has a system where only data through your net browser will be transfered, so no outside program will work. This is a recent addition so the virus protection is at max (I don't know if it can be dissabled, check some net settings). Hope that helps
For any out their who are still reading this, i could not get past the "aol block" thing... Its ben a long time too... *sigh* i'l have to resign to SP and AOEII (as usual).
Hi,

It's 11pm PDT...I was able to join a game on the West & Europe server.

Is your ISP AOL & what speed is your connection ?

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.