More info on Dungeon Difficulties
In the new Joystiq interview, Jeff Kaplan talks about a lot of things, but in particular goes into more detail on the "Dungeon Difficulty" thing.
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/08/11/exclusiv...ws-jeff-kaplan/
(Also, I wish Jeff Kaplan would do something like a monthly status report. The guy is obviously articulate, intelligent, and highly involved, and his interviews are always informative. I think "Jeff Kaplan Speaks to the People" would really go a long way to helping the communication gap between the players and developers.)

Quote:We will have a dungeon difficulty level setting. Party leaders for groups will have the ability to set the level with two different settings -- normal and hard. For example, a 60 to 62 dungeon on hard will turn into a level 70 dungeon with level 70 rewards in it. In a level 70 dungeon on hard, the enemies will be extremely dangerous but you will definitely be rewarded better for doing the harder difficulty mode.

So it appears there will be two difficulty settings for every dungeon, Normal and Hard. I personally like this and think it's a clever way to extend content. The example they give is a bit like turning Blackrock Depths into an endgame dungeon, which would be cool as long as they don't simply increase numbers (hitpoints, DPS), but do stuff like throw on new abilities to make things more interesting. For example, taking pulls that start out as 4 bruiser melee guys and turning it into a nastier group of 2 bruisers, a healer, and a mage. A boss that starts summoning minions once he gets down to 20% health can summon minions immediately. That sort of thing.

The thing I'm still wondering about is what they're going to do with level 70 dungeons set to hard mode. It's not like they can just throw in level 75 mobs in there without making it glancing blow/crushing blow city, but if the "normal" level dungeons are difficult at all, the hardmode dungeons have the potential to be nightmarish. I'm thinking of the way they nerfed Stratholme and Scholomance to be much more do-able by a motley group of 5... now, instead of defanging the dungeons we'll have something like post-nerf Scholo and pre-nerf Scholo, complete with new loot tables.

I wonder if they'll have quests that can only be completed in the hard versions of dungeons...
The easiest (and imo the most likely) ways to make an instance more difficult are:
More mobs
Bigger mobs , HPs, DPS, AC
Higher mob level.

Anything else will probably be more difficult to implement than they will mess with.
Delgorasha of <The Basin> on Tichondrius Un-re-retired
Delcanan of <First File> on Runetotem
Quote:The easiest (and imo the most likely) ways to make an instance more difficult are:
More mobs
Bigger mobs , HPs, DPS, AC
Higher mob level.

Anything else will probably be more difficult to implement than they will mess with.

And even that could get really hard to tune. Given their past record of playtesting bosses, I have to wonder how much testing they'll bother doing on Hard Mode.
You don't know what you're talking about.
Quote:I'm thinking of the way they nerfed Stratholme and Scholomance to be much more do-able by a motley group of 5... now, instead of defanging the dungeons we'll have something like post-nerf Scholo and pre-nerf Scholo, complete with new loot tables.

Two Things:

1) I sincerely hope that it's not exactly like the difference between pre/post-nerf Scholo, because they also removed a lot of unnecessary trash in some of those nerfs. Harder trash pulls are good; More of the same trash pulls is just annoying.

2) I'd like to see a level beyond hard called 'Epic' where they put level 75 mobs and provide appropriate rewards. Epic instances could be accessed via a quest giver with a cooldown to prevent farming. Here's an example with a current instance: In the power vacuum left by the death of Edwin Van Cleef, someone else has risen to lead the Defias. You go to the instance, talk to a questgiver just inside the door, go through a quest sequence to confirm that you want to face VC Jr. and the instance resets at 'Epic'.