Cross Server BG
Man, for Kel'thuzud... this makes everything EZ mode.

I'm not casting aspersions on any specific PvE player. It just got real real eeasy for a horde player on a pvp rulem
I guess Gorefiend contains THE GODS OF PVP. Horde and alliance alike.

Honestly. Destroying most of the alliance in Battlegroup 4 has just been effortless. 90 percent of them have been non-threats. (Which sounds funny, as one of the better hunters on my server, who also happens to be one of the biggest asshats, is named Threats.) A few have known their business, but an overwhelming number of them were just fodder. It is disconcerting.

But, then, a number of the horde have been that bad as well.

Now, maybe, with a larger pool of experience players to fight, these people will improve quickly. Or maybe they will give up quickly. Either way, I am hoping that the better fighters of the servers on my battlegroup step up soon.

Great. No longer will us lowbies in WSG have to put up with the Alliance twinks that populate Ravenholdt PvP.

Now we can play against Alliance twinks from all the other realms:D
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Don't drink and post kids.
Can't even get into the game right now. Grr.

Login runs fine, then I get the usual "pick your language and realm type" which is promptly followed by a blank realm list.

Please tell me that this is natural for a fresh patch?
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,

Quote:Can't even get into the game right now. Grr.

Login runs fine, then I get the usual "pick your language and realm type" which is promptly followed by a blank realm list.

Please tell me that this is natural for a fresh patch?
Are you European? If that's the case then you have to wait at least until 16:00 Paris time. Otherwise I have no idea, sorry.
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm!
Ah, misread the notice on the login screen.

2AM. Not PM. AM.

Damn those tired eyes of mine.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,

Quote:Man, for Kel'thuzud... this makes everything EZ mode.

I'm not casting aspersions on any specific PvE player. It just got real real eeasy for a horde player on a pvp rulem

Well, in her first cross battleground AB, my corporal noob carebear nightelf priest, who has been into PvP four days, had 5 killing blows, 12 honorable kills, and not one death. We won. She had 17 honorable kills before they got her once.

So far so good for the Alliance!
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Quote:I'm not casting aspersions on any specific PvE player. It just got real real eeasy for a horde player on a pvp rulem
It's not really all that surprising. The ***average*** skill level of a player on a PvP server tends to be higher than the average skill level of a player on a PvE server. This is due to three reasons:

1) PvE server players have less experience with PvP, since they're not forced to do it on a regular basis.
2) PvP servers attract a more hardcore playing crowd. It's no coincidence that a large percentage of high-end PvE raiding guilds are on PvP servers.
3) PvP'ing helps to make you a better player. You develop more "twitch" skills, and you learn the ins and outs of your class more and see its strengths and weaknesses more clearly.

However, there's some mitigating factors right now:

A) The patch just came out and people's UIs/Mods are screwed up. Become too dependent on them and you're lost.
B) Cross-server BGs are the "hot new thing," and some people who rarely/never PvP are trying them out to see what they're like. On Stormrage, I logged in briefly last night and it felt like 3/4ths of the server was queuing up just to see it.

I wasn't on last night much thanks to numerous server crashes, but I did jump into a WSG game and noticed a distinct lack of play on both sides. This one Horde Warrior just pretty much stood there as I blew him away without using a single Hamstring or stance dance to break my fear, and an Alliance Mage on my side mostly ran around in circles when fighting a 2 on 2 situation (so we got reamed). It was the strangest WSG I've played in months.

Another thing I'm hearing/noticing is that getting in on a PvP match at the outset of a match is rare. People are jumping from one BG to another due to the short queue times, so you often wind up coming in at the middle or end of a match.

Short queue times are nice, but I'll miss being able to queue up and then go farm somewhere for an hour or two, then getting a free ride back to Ironforge when the BG pops. Oh well.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
I really hope the queue times of last night are accurate of what they are going to be from now on. I used to really enjoy PvP and battle grounds. But the queue times of one hour or more just killed it for me. Besides the times I schedual raids I'm usually on for an hour or two at a time. If that's not even enough time for a singe BG I'd rather just play an alt or something.

And remember a lot of the newb PvP players out there might just be a bit rusty from not being able to PvP in the last 10 months;).
[Image: 21740hrsxL.png]
Quote:It's not really all that surprising. The ***average*** skill level of a player on a PvP server tends to be higher than the average skill level of a player on a PvE server. This is due to three reasons:

1) PvE server players have less experience with PvP, since they're not forced to do it on a regular basis.
2) PvP servers attract a more hardcore playing crowd. It's no coincidence that a large percentage of high-end PvE raiding guilds are on PvP servers.
3) PvP'ing helps to make you a better player. You develop more "twitch" skills, and you learn the ins and outs of your class more and see its strengths and weaknesses more clearly.
I agree, but I think there's also a much more important factor that you're overlooking: players on PvP servers spend their time/DKP/whatever getting gear to PvP with. The ability to gear your toon - and the knowledge of how to gear it:)- for PvP is key, and it's something that I don't think PvE server players put as much effort into. This was the main difference I noticed when I rerolled from Terenas to Stormscale: people gear for PvP, plain and simple. There was no real reason to get that asskandi except to whack someone about with it. (On the skill level, I actually felt that a Terenas horde PuG would roll a Stormscale Horde PuG, just because the Terenas crew worked together pretty well. Far too many solo heros and kill #$&^%s on Stormscale. :wacko: )

Also, in my experience high end guilds on PvP servers tend to be a lot more relaxed about speccing than a lot of PvE guilds. (Excepting when they're making a hard push on PvE content, which is fair enough.:))

Finally (okay, so it was three factors) there are a lot more pre-established "teams" on PvP servers. While a PvE server might be able to field a couple of honor farming groups, just about every high-end PvP server guild fields an A and a B team that have extensive experience fighting together and use vent/teamspeak as a matter of course.

In the end, I think the differences are mostly about desire. There's a greater desire to PvP on the servers set up for it, and thus there's a greater wealth of properly geared and experienced players.

PS. Hehe, I just thought of a forth one. Ruthlessness. On a PvE server, camping the enemies spawn point graveyard is - or was in my day - considered bad form. On a PvP server you're considered mad if you don't. It's par for the course and an accepted, legitimate, above board tactic.
I hate flags

"Then Honor System came out and I had b*$@& tattoo'd on my forehead and a "kick me" sign taped to my back." - Tiku

Stormscale: Treglies, UD Mage; Treggles, 49 Orc Shaman; Tregor, semi-un-retired Druid.

Terenas (all retired): 60 Druid; 60 Shaman. (Not very creative with my character selection, am I?!Wink
Quote:It's not really all that surprising. The ***average*** skill level of a player on a PvP server tends to be higher than the average skill level of a player on a PvE server.

Yes, I've noticed that too. It's also been confirmed by a certain someone that's been noticing it since the Beta... and you know who you are :whistling:Also, much more helpful to their fellow faction ppl. This is probably due to the whole "Us vs. Them" mentality.

So far, I like the new setup as it let me win 4 AVs yesterday after losing at least 30 in a row (literally). Alliance on Lethon sucks the big one at PvP. I have a feeling that that applies to other servers too. OTOH, WSG is now a pathetic disgrace as at least 3/4 of the participants really have no clue. AB though is ok..... and there's actually a good chance of getting into one pretty quickly.

Overall, not bad. Only thing I regret is that I used to know a good number of ppl in the BGs on both sides and enjoyed playing with/against them. No more of that now. Personality has been pretty much lost in the BGs.

-A
By the way .. this picture shows the WoW server infrastructure once connected PvP BG's have been properly setup;)

Quote:[Image: blueballs.gif]

EDIT:

Tiled version:

Quote:[Image: blueballs2.gif]
[Image: blueballs2.gif]
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
That image rocks even more when you realise that it's tilable in all directions.

Also, it makes my head hurt.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,

Quote:Overall, not bad. Only thing I regret is that I used to know a good number of ppl in the BGs on both sides and enjoyed playing with/against them. No more of that now. Personality has been pretty much lost in the BGs.
What you lose in personality you gain in variety.

If you're not familiar with the situation on Stormrage, it's been bad. The Alliance to Horde ratio, which was bad before (like 2:1), has gotten worse in recent months as a few high-end Horde raiding guilds transferred out. Playing on the BGs there got completely monotonous; there were 1 or 2 Horde PvP teams running at any given time and if they didn't want to play AB, you didn't get to play, period.

Sure, you get to know all the Horde players that DO play regularly pretty well. But that enhances the boredom - you know exactly what they're going to do. Start an AB match and you know that this Horde team is going to send 9 players to the stables right off the bat to disrupt the hell out of the Alliance team. They do it every time. Etc.

It IS kinda cool to see Player X and think "ah yes, X, we meet again," and know that he's thinking the same way. As a battleground healer, however, that's NOT a good thing. Even though I'm not a 24/7 Grand Marshal grinder, the Horde teams all know when they see Cleoboltra in the battleground to eliminate me first without mercy. It's amusing when you get triple-counterspelled simultaneously by three mages because they're all so eager to take you out - for about 4 seconds, which is your lifespan when 5-6 Horde characters all gang up on you at the outset of any major team fight. Or else I spend entire fights sheeped, watching my teammates around me do the fighting.

In the new BGs, I have more freedom to not be recognized as a BG healer and my survival time increases. This is a plus just for my enjoyment factor alone and spending less time in graveyards.

Quote:PS. Hehe, I just thought of a forth one. Ruthlessness. On a PvE server, camping the enemies spawn point graveyard is - or was in my day - considered bad form. On a PvP server you're considered mad if you don't. It's par for the course and an accepted, legitimate, above board tactic.
No kidding? Ouch.

Yes, on Stormrage, Alliance PvPers will get furious with any jerks who GY camp Horde players. This is mostly due to the population imbalance - anything that could help frustrate the Horde and make them not bother queuing up anymore is considered extremely bad form. So much so that Alliance members have been known to ask Horde players to Mind Control a GY camper so the Alliance guys can gang up and annihilate the loser.

I can see how on a PvP server, the bets are off, since the hatred the sides have for each other is so intense. On Stormrage it's more like "well, we want Honor, you want Honor, let's not be asses about it and we'll all have fun. Oh, and I can kick your butt any day of the week." It's hard to hate Horde so much when half of the "top" PvPers on Stormrage Alliance side also PvP on Horde side with alts. A very different atmosphere, but is it all that surprising when Blizzard's lame Honor System has you compete with your own faction members and not the enemy faction members?

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Another source of n00b PvPers are people like me that were always interested, but were not going to bother with 1 hour or more queue times. If the queue times stay as they are, I think you'll see a LOT of new Alliance people playing. And some Horde, too.

As MJ said in another thread, this eliminates the bottleneck of 'is there an AV up?', and makes it 'is there 4 up or 20 up?', and it's no longer 'is there an AB up?' and on WSG, there were over 100 up last night.

--Mav
Quote:PS. Hehe, I just thought of a forth one. Ruthlessness.

I think that one really sums up the rest--When you roll on a PvP server, you quickly learn that the number one factor in survival is to be merciless. In world PvP, the first mover gains a very real advantage. Gank lest ye be ganked, if you will.

During peak PvE raiding times on Magtheridon, Blackrock Mountain's hallways become littered with skeletons. Guilds camp half-formed raids outside instances and slaughter opposing players while they wait for stragglers. It doesn't matter than there's little to be gained and everyone is actually just trying to PvE; Ganking (or time spent on gank prevention) is just something you have to factor into the amount of time required to form a raid.
One other factor for the bad play last night was the server instability. It's hard to form up a solid 10 man team when people are crashing out or getting frustrated and quitting. When Tichondrius stabilized for about two hours, our guild managed to cobble together a team, growing from about four people to about eight at its peak when the server crashed. Also, it didn't help that there was a bug that if you hit the accept button to join a battleground too quickly, you'd get booted, so we were always down a player or two going in. Only once last night did we meet a full Alliance organized group. We had two people not get in, so we only had four of us on Vent and only seven Horde total in the game (I think the game bugs and doesn't let anyone fill the slots of those who got bugged from the start), so we got slaughtered. Otherwise, it was easy pickings. When the servers stabilize, I'm sure we'll all see more organized groups.
Quote:What you lose in personality you gain in variety.

If you're not familiar with the situation on Stormrage, it's been bad. The Alliance to Horde ratio, which was bad before (like 2:1), has gotten worse in recent months as a few high-end Horde raiding guilds transferred out. Playing on the BGs there got completely monotonous; there were 1 or 2 Horde PvP teams running at any given time and if they didn't want to play AB, you didn't get to play, period.

I actually remember the situation on Stormrage and it *was* terrible. Of course the fact that I could only really log in at 12 midnight server time did not help, but even on those few occasions that I could log in for any decent period of time at peak time, it was just as bad. I think in my month or so that I spent being lvl 51-60 until I quit the server, I got into 3 AVs and no ABs at all. That's what happens when there is a 4:1 A to H ratio. Of course on my current server, I had instant ques for pretty much anything except AB, but it's all good as far as that even after the patch. My concern after thinking about things and reading WoWs forums, is that the Honor grind has just gotten worse for all those that can *not* PvP 20 hours/day. There used to be sort of "dead" times, but now all those that have a lot of time on their hands will be able to BG almost 24/7, leaving the rest of us far far behind. Sure, supposedly there will be more room for higher ranks, but I think this will make getting rank of let's say 8+ difficult, and 12+ impossible. Naturally, I am not talking about Rank 14, as that was impossible pretty much forever... well, for normal ppl that is.

Anyway, TBC should make all of this irrelevant... and meanwhile it'll be a synch to get Exalted in all 3 BGs. I went from about 5k into Revered to 9.5k in about 3 hours of AV. Let's see how difficult it is to move up from Rank 7. I am guessing with the new system, very.

As far as your experience in the BGs being targeted.... face it.... you are a Priest. Any player that knows something about PvP will tell you that healer squishies need to be squished first. Since Stormrage's H population is relatively small, they probably know each other pretty well even if they are not getting in as a team and know the strategies better than Alliance. Horde tends to be better in the BGs anyway, so they just all go for you. Enjoy ;)

-A
Long term? Definitely a good thing. Short term? I miss seeing the familiar faces.

I gave up on pvp with my level 60 warlock due to long queues (usual population imbalance issue on Malygos). I got back into it on Aman'Thul as something to do when the friend I was levelling with wasn't on.

The queue times were short, and the player pool was fairly small. The players I ran into in the 20-29 bracket, I saw again in 30-39 and then 40-49. I remembered the Alliance players who knew what they were doing, learned which Horde players love to wait in the flag room to ninja flags.

Last night I don't think I saw any familiar faces in any of the games we played. Played one AB match that the Alliance were leading 3-2 for most of the match then had a brain meltdown and lost 0-4. I got some great heals from a druid from another server in that game; I wonder if I'll see him again?

A couple of warsong games were pretty one-sided. The Alliance controlled the midfield a bit in one game, but couldn't coordinate an offence.

Chris