Form teams/parties here
If you are seeking players for any Ironman, LOTL, or super unique moster runs (IE Butcher, Leoric, Diablo, Mod and HF super unis as well) I think we can all post here. Other purposeful team formations can also be accomadated. In other words, do not post here to make a clan. (Although this would be a poor place [and game] to do that anyway) It shouldn't be necessary to state that this is for legit purposes only - but for anyone visiting this forum, it is.

Another note: This is for cooperative groups. Do not post here to duel.

So if your looking for players, or looking for an existing party, post here.

Anyone who is willing to play TD or Hellfire. Let me know. I will still play Diablo (unmoded) as well.
I have become very interested in Ironman runs. I would like to form a team of 1W 2R and 1S. This way we have a blacksmith (the Warrior) two missle capable charaters (can also play melee if necessary) and one mage. Better team ideas welcome, but after thinking it through, I think this will work for ironman the best.

For those who don't know, an Ironman run is one is which all characters participating start a new clvl1 and spend the 100 gold on some basic gear. There is no towning, so once down in lvl 1, you can only go deeper. Players must clear the entire lvl of monsters and chests (barrels, carasophogus, etc.) before going down to the next level.

Very fun, it is legit to the extreem.

I will play on Diablo, HF, or mods. I'm just dying to play Ironman with four people.

Quote:I would like to form a team of 1W 2R and 1S. This way we have a blacksmith (the Warrior) two missle capable charaters (can also play melee if necessary) and one mage.

4 is a lot harder than 3 and 3 is a lot harder than 2. Having said that, I would definately one day like a 4 man victory. Am leaving soon though so can't for at least a while:(. Second rogue would be wasted i think, i'd take a second warrior instead and have him with an axe/great sword.

Oh and the obvious link -> http://realmsbeyond.net/diablo/vironman.html

Aarda's still throwing roses at the rain...
Thanks for the link, it has great information about Ironman.

Quote:Second rogue would be wasted i think, i'd take a second warrior instead and have him with an axe/great sword.

Actually I think not. One warrior should be enough. If an axe becomes necessary, the warrior can weild it while one of the rouges can build up a little strength and use a sword/mace and shield. If it werent for the warrior's repair skill, he wouldnt be necessary at all. However, in an ironman, without griswold in the dungeon with you, you need a warrior.

Now what is debatable is weather or not 2R or 2S is better. If we asume that before the caves the team is able to find a book of mana shield, then I think it would work quite well. One mage would build up his dex and str to 35 str and 35 dex. At that point he would pump magic. The other mage would take magic up to 50, then pump vit. This way you have a melee capable mage (the mana shield) and a spell slinger mage (the one with 50), in an ironman there is no point in going past 50 magic unless you have mana shield. This is because in one run through the game in normal, you wont find enough books to have high spell levels and thus will not need the magic to learn them. 50-60 magic should be quite sufficent for the spell slinger. The battle mage on the other hand would need as much magic as possible to fuel the mana orb.

Ultimately, I think 2R is the best set up for an ironman, because no matter what items you get, the rouge can use them effectively. This way the team isn't depantant upon certain drops, and is more adaptable, which is very necessary in ironman.

This setup also makes item placement in the group easy and leaves little room for debate. Books and staves go to the sorc. Bows and good shortswords/low str requirement melee gear to the rouges. Heavy arms/armor to the Warrior. Having a team that agrees on item placement is crucial, as it leads to a fully functional team.

Also, as ironman implies opening ALL chests and barrels, the team can split into 2 with 2R and still safely open all of them, care free about traps.

Anyone else have suggestions on a better team build? I am open to ideas, just please have them logically supported by game/team/player mechanics.
Quote:If an axe becomes necessary, the warrior can weild it while one of the rouges can build up a little strength and use a sword/mace and shield. If it werent for the warrior's repair skill, he wouldnt be necessary at all.
I dont think this is a good option, because monsters doesnt care about who is wielding shield, but who created a game. So when Warrior try to kill monster with axe in game he created, monster will target him. And shieldless Warriors are quite delicious for all kind of monsters.

I also have got quite bad experience with shielding Rogues, so - generally - for Normal Diff - I wouldnt let block Rogue, unless we would find really good stuff. (Fast block shield, good DEXT and reasonable AC).
I think that in most IM games Warrior rocks in blocking, especially with active bonus.
Past Normal you could look at your gear and decide upon your items.

Quote:Now what is debatable is weather or not 2R or 2S is better. If we asume that before the caves the team is able to find a book of mana shield, then I think it would work quite well. One mage would build up his dex and str to 35 str and 35 dex. At that point he would pump magic. The other mage would take magic up to 50, then pump vit. This way you have a melee capable mage (the mana shield) and a spell slinger mage (the one with 50), in an ironman there is no point in going past 50 magic unless you have mana shield. This is because in one run through the game in normal, you wont find enough books to have high spell levels and thus will not need the magic to learn them. 50-60 magic should be quite sufficent for the spell slinger. The battle mage on the other hand would need as much magic as possible to fuel the mana orb.
I personally like "classic" IM Sorceror (Heya Gill :-) ). That means 15 stats points in reserve for possible heavy staves (IIRC, Warr staff STR requirements is 30) and rest of points spent in Magic. Spending points in VIT is forbidden for Mage, no matter if you find MS or no .
I dont know, why do you need exactly 35 STR and 35 DEXT on Mage (probably for some item, eh?), but it sounds like wasting to me.
And "Tank Mage" seems to be totally useless for all types of IM. (Except Tank Mage IM of course :-) )
Only useful reason for 2.nd Sorc is IMO "Healing Mage". He camp at clvl 1, maybe 2, reads all HO book and heals all team members from Orb for ridiculous amount of mana and from staves (which recharge second Mage of course :-) )
That guy have to be bored to death all the time, but he is surelly much more helpfull to team than any "Tank Mage". (But after all he can spend his free time in a pray for HO book :-)) )

Quote:This setup also makes item placement in the group easy and leaves little room for debate. Books and staves go to the sorc. Bows and good shortswords/low str requirement melee gear to the rouges. Heavy arms/armor to the Warrior. Having a team that agrees on item placement is crucial, as it leads to a fully functional team.
In good IM team there is always little room for debate, if is there any.
Hureg's comment refers to the fact that monsters will target the game's creator if two characters are equally distant. So if these two warrios stand side by side, the enemies will always attack the first warrior, who in this case is the tank, using a shield. The second warrior uses the axe/great sword simply for the higher damage of these weapons, in an effort to stun foes.

I think you are forgetting one main aspect of Ironman, and that is stun. The rogue will have much difficulty stunning enemies in melee, plus her slow blocking could get problematic; the warrior will be able to stun enemies much more effectively. This makes the warrior much more important than simply for his skill. It gets even worse when talking about having a melee capable mage. Their damage would be puny, and their tank skills would pale to even a rogue. I think mage would be most useful to heal others, hopefully use holy bolt on Leoric (and Diablo), and using charged staffs most effectively. They are quite mana intensive, and with limited resources it becomes a problem. Hell, even when I started a normal naked mage, it was difficult to even find enough gold to buy more potions to replace the ones he used just to get that gold. It would be like I would use four small potions to kill just enough enemies to find enough money for three small potions!
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
Yes I will have to agree with you guys. So as far as a successful 4 person team, could we eliminate the mage all together? If we are talking about completing normal i.e. killing diablo, could we have a team of two warriors and two rouges?

Quote:That means 15 stats points in reserve for possible heavy staves

This is a good point. Saving points when they are not absolutley necessary. I admire this idea, and I'm sorry I failed to mention it. So if we went without a Mage, and we replaced the sorc with another rouge... Could she not save up points untill the battle with diablo? Given that the rouge casts spells fairly well, could we not have the two rouges be casters?

When we do fight diablo, I hope we have at least one book of holybolt, and one staff of holy bolt, any other HB gear would be great. In a perfect battle, I would want the host AC+ warrior to tank, with the other warrior as dmg+ and backup tank, while the casters nail him with HB.

So to make this possible two caster capable characters would be nice. Idk, would it be better to have one mage? As I mentioned before, the rouge would be able to use the highest variety of items. Lmk what you guys think, I appreciate the input.

Also, please let me know if your down to roll, as of now, I have a team of me. Still need 3 more. Thanks
Once you get past church you're probably going to want all 4 members to stick together. Once you get past cats, you're definately going to want all members to stick together. This is basically because the experience points shared between 4 characters is going to put you at a very big disadvantage than if you were just running 2 characters. Not to mention the fact that if you're scouting in two directions at once, any overdraw is probably going to cost you res scrolls. The problem with not leveling enough is you have less chance to stun, which as Lang pointed out is crucial because if you're not stunning your enemy then your warrior or 'tank' is taking a pounding. Dex maxes at 60 so your not going to get a great deal of use out of your shield and even if you do stumble upon a dex add or two you're still not going to be blocking all that convincingly.

As for not taking a sorc, your second rogue is going to be a lot less effective with her bow and if you're going to take a character just for spells then you should take a sorc. Firstly because the points he spends to magic are going to give you a lot more mana than the points a rogue would spend and then also because a rogue doesn't get the bonus mana a sorc gets for consuming a small blue.
Aarda's still throwing roses at the rain...
Alright, you sold me. 2 Warriors, 1 Rouge, 1Sorc

You aslo made a good point about the xp sharing. We need to stick together. The warrior tank (game creater) leads yes?

Will you join my IM team? I know I can do it, I just need all four.

Quote:Alright, you sold me. 2 Warriors, 1 Rouge, 1Sorc

You aslo made a good point about the xp sharing. We need to stick together. The warrior tank (game creater) leads yes?

Will you join my IM team? I know I can do it, I just need all four.

You don't seem to get that a team of four is extremely hard with experienced ironmen. You haven't even tried it before, so perhaps try an easier team, a team of one Rogue and one Warrior, for example.
No, I completely understand. I want to do it with four. However, since I can't get four, why don't you do an easy run with me. You seem to be quite knowlageable, and will find that I am quite capable. lets do it!