Tier 4 Gear tidbits
From http://blue.cardplace.com/newcache/us/35964115.htm

Quote:Actually, we do expect spirit to play a significant role in Priest and Druid itemization. However, you won't really see that borne out until you're running the endgame instances (for both 5-person and raid).

We do have slightly different itemization philosophies for what we consider "level up" content versus "end game" content, so I would caution against using level-up itemization to extrapolate what the itemization is like at level 70.

The bigger one?
Quote:There is a tier 4 set for most builds for each class.

The boss drops a "token" for a certain slot for a certain set of classes (it's not really called a "token", but I'm speaking of it mechanically here), which you then turn in for the type of set piece of your choice (ie: for a warrior, the tanking plate or the dps plate, or for a druid you choose between the healing, moonkin, or feral gear).

Raid sets no longer limited to the pre-expansion raid role! (Lum, Lum, I'm pointing this one directly at you!)
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Quote:From http://blue.cardplace.com/newcache/us/35964115.htm
The bigger one?
Raid sets no longer limited to the pre-expansion raid role! (Lum, Lum, I'm pointing this one directly at you!)

Awesome.

Now cap your mage....
You know, my Balance Druid makes mages sweat right now when they look at the damage meters, and he's not wearing a piece of cloth.

With the new BC talents, and better itemization.... Mmm.....

*grins*
See you in Town,
-Z
As an aside ...

Quote:Kalgan's Tier4 Post Deleted?

This was probably the best news about TBC that I've heard yet and it has been removed. Was it false or misleading information? Or not relative to the original topic?

Can you please make some other official post about this please?:(

Quote:Coreiel (in her druidic excitement after reading the thread) began to jump up and down with glee yelling "O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!" (Word for word people. Word. For. Word.). Unfortunately her flailing limbs, in a rare twist of fate, landed upon her mouse, clicking on the smallest of moderation icons, and deleted the post.

Although I'm sure everyone has the info copied down, we'll try to have it reposted.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Quote:From http://blue.cardplace.com/newcache/us/35964115.htm
The bigger one?

Alright! Now rogues will be able to adapt their gear to all three of their roles: DPS, DPS and DPS!

-Jester
Quote:Alright! Now rogues will be able to adapt their gear to all three of their roles: DPS, DPS and DPS!

-Jester

I didn't say it, I didn't say it!
Awesome! I will be collecting two sets of armor.:D
This is good news... but how much do you want to bet there are just two priest sets:

1. Healing set
2. Shadow damage set

leaving us poor healer-specs out in the cold for damage gear again.
Quote:This is good news... but how much do you want to bet there are just two priest sets:

1. Healing set
2. Shadow damage set

I'm really wondering about how many sets each class gets.

I mean, for Rogues (say), there's pretty much one standard set of stuff they need. Sure, you could itemize it out a little, but you'd still end up with 3 sets that are really just variations on a theme.

For warriors, there's at least 2 sets needed, but three trees. It makes little to no sense to duplicate the PvP set for the PvP tree (arms), but you'd have to make some wacky off-tank set otherwise.

For druids, they'd actually need 4 sets, since an optimal Cat set would be quite different from an optimal Bear set, and Oomkin and Healer specs clearly need their own set.

But it seems kind of unfair (and an endless source of forum drama) to give different classes more or less options.

-Jester
Quote:But it seems kind of unfair (and an endless source of forum drama) to give different classes more or less options.

-Jester

Druids, Paladins, and Shamen get 2 arena reward sets.

My guess would be that Druids, Paladins, and Shaman get 3 sets. It's not like Cat and Bear are that different. Max level epics probably have enough armor without sacrificing stats for extra armor, and both use gobs of Str and Agi. A modest amount of +def or +resil woln't kill it for a cat, especially if it has decent set bonuses. Priests will probably get 2 - it will probably be mostly +dam and not +shadow. Everybody else I wouldn't be suprised if they just get one set. Maybe 2 for the warriors.
Quote:This is good news... but how much do you want to bet there are just two priest sets:

1. Healing set
2. Shadow damage set

I am tempted to share in the cynicism that Blizzard doesn't know how to do more than stereotype by class raid roles, but it seems they are certainly trying to encourage a variety of specs in all roles in the expansion. Here's hoping they come up with good itemization to support all those different specs.
Quote:I didn't say it, I didn't say it!

You *thought* it though...admit it! :P
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Quote:It's not like Cat and Bear are that different. Max level epics probably have enough armor without sacrificing stats for extra armor, and both use gobs of Str and Agi. A modest amount of +def or +resil woln't kill it for a cat, especially if it has decent set bonuses.
The real question is will they finally be able to upgrade their warden staffs?! Tanking end game? Fine, just let me pull out my level 43 staff!;)
I hate flags

"Then Honor System came out and I had b*$@& tattoo'd on my forehead and a "kick me" sign taped to my back." - Tiku

Stormscale: Treglies, UD Mage; Treggles, 49 Orc Shaman; Tregor, semi-un-retired Druid.

Terenas (all retired): 60 Druid; 60 Shaman. (Not very creative with my character selection, am I?!Wink
Just wanted to toot my own horn a bit! Here's a snippet from a post I made May 12th:

Quote:Whatever means a player is given by which to obtain one of his set pieces, give 5 of them a choice between three different pieces of gear. Make the quest repeatable, but the items unique. For only these 5 pieces, give a Balance, Restoration, and Feral option. But make them all part of the same "set" and therefore capable of contributing to the 8-piece "complete" bonus.

Something like the chestpiece should be the most difficult item to obtain, and rightly the best. I would expect a Tier 3 chestpiece to be alterred so it is indeed a Tier 3 quality piece no matter what one's spec may be. For that piece, I would think only one option should be given. But some of the lesser items such as gloves, boots, bracers, belt, and shoulders could be given options.

This way you don't have the one suit of gear that is overpowered by being able to fill every need a player may have. But at the same time, he may swap out some pieces on his so-called hybrid character while still retaining the epic aesthetic and set bonuses from the Dreamwalker set.

Perhaps instead of the +heal and mana regen on gloves, one could choose a pair with spell crit and +dam/heal. Or maybe a pair of gloves with higher armor and some feral stats with +hit would be more appropriate?

The benefits are most apparent on the hybrid characters, but even those classes with a normally singular purpose in a multiplayer situation could benefit from true "set" items tailored to their spec. If this sort of system were implemented across the board, the hybrid characters wouldn't be the only ones jumping for joy. Tanks will love their Tier 3 set, but Fury or Arms warriors could be given a second option on their gear for +hit, +crit, etc. instead of the hefty +defense on the tanking items. Rogues could be given items that focus on swords or daggers, or perhaps a choice between an item with extra critical strike or a speed increase while stealthed. There's no limit to what could be done, and since the item quests are repeatable, there's no dooming a player to one piece if he makes a decision he later regrets (akin to the trinket reward from Drakkisath).
The goal of this idea is options, and to make those who don't play a "cookie cutter" build actually have an option in a set, without making it a generally weaker set in the process. True, this would mean a bit of additional work on Blizzard's part, but I would say that's a small price to pay for the amount of polish it would add to the loot system in Naxxramas. That doesn't even begin to mention the appreciation the player base would have for such a move.

Thoughts/comments/nexuscrystals/flames appreciated. I'm submitting this idea both for discussion on the players' behalf and as an offering to Blizzard in case it's an avenue they've not considered. If nothing else, I hope it gets the wheels turning and demonstrates that there are options to making set items besides creating entirely new sets for separate specs.

Sure, I was proposing that for Tier 3. But I get to say "I called it!"

*flex*
See you in Town,
-Z
Quote:Awesome! I will be collecting two sets of armor.:D

There's an interesting couple of questions rolling around about this:
1. Will the quests be repeatable given an additional "token" of the same type? (like Tuftears, I'd guess 'yes')
2. Will players be able to return T4 items for one spec and receive (for a fee) the item for a different spec?

Question #2 could present a nice option for players who want to change their spec without refarming gear.

I'm guessing 'you bound it, you bought it, no returns'. In other words, you'd need to farm a second set of gear if you wanted to change specs.

But, I'm told that the AQ40 foo/T3 foo quests are repeatable.
Quote:But, I'm told that the AQ40 foo/T3 foo quests are repeatable.

They are. Never did understand that, but maybe it was just a global decision to allow repeats on set items starting with AQ?
See you in Town,
-Z
Quote:They are. Never did understand that, but maybe it was just a global decision to allow repeats on set items starting with AQ?

Probably because you could sell or DE the item and then realize later you want it back. For the items that drop in MC and BWL, it would just be a matter of re-running the instance until you get the item you want. In the case of AQ and Naxx, you have to go through a quest to get the item, so instead of making it once you get rid of it no way of getting it back, just make it repeatable, in effect being the same way as MC and BWL.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Quote:They are. Never did understand that, but maybe it was just a global decision to allow repeats on set items starting with AQ?

The Tier 1 and 2 dropped epics are non-unique, which lets you get a second copy and put a situational enchant on it. Allowing a repeatable quest with a non-unique reward gives T3 gear the same possibility.

The PVP gear used to be great for this, as you could buy as many as you wanted once you reached the appropriate rank, but everything but the weapons got uniqued a few patches ago.

-- frink
Quote:Raid sets no longer limited to the pre-expansion raid role! (Lum, Lum, I'm pointing this one directly at you!)

Maybe there is truly hope for the expansion!:wacko:
Turambar - Fury Warrior - Twisting Nether
NenyaAdamant - Shadow Priest - Proudmoore
Lum - Shadow Priest - Stormrage

TheLuminaire.net