Booted from game
I was playing a game with two people. Two of us were booted(diablo shut down). The error code I recieved was "Storm_error_invalid_Player". I am posting this because I remember in some post people were interested in the error codes. The third person was still in the game, and we rejoined. This was on b.net.
Yeah. You got crashed. There's tons of crash hacks out nowadays, I'm suprised that you didn't notice it for what it was. You will also commonly get an error for StartNewLvl.
Quote:Yeah. You got crashed. There's tons of crash hacks out nowadays, I'm suprised that you didn't notice it for what it was. You will also commonly get an error for StartNewLvl.

This is possible. However, the people I was in the game with are not likely cheaters in any way. The only person who could have crashed me was the person I spent an hour helping port forward on their network so that she was able to host games on b.net. The other person(who was booted with me) was her husband. As you can see, cheating is probably not the case. I also rejoined the game and chatted for another twenty minutes after the boot.
happend to me too, but in my case i really think it was some hacker..
Quote:This is possible. However, the people I was in the game with are not likely cheaters in any way. The only person who could have crashed me was the person I spent an hour helping port forward on their network so that she was able to host games on b.net. The other person(who was booted with me) was her husband. As you can see, cheating is probably not the case. I also rejoined the game and chatted for another twenty minutes after the boot.

That's strange. Was the game private to the point where no one would have been able to join? A game name "Leg" and password "its" is easy to guess, if something similar was the case. Hackers can enter in ghost mode and then execute the crash if they are feeling particularly malevolent for no apparent reason. If that was the case though, I would have expected all three of you to have been affected. Who knows?
Eh, I crash pretty regularly. Sometimes it happens with no error message whatsoever. The last couple times I noticed it happened right as I hit "enter" to send a message in game, and the error that came up was related to sendMessage something-what-not. But I can definitely say that the game crashing in absensce of any foul play is not a rare ocurrance at all.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
Quote:But I can definitely say that the game crashing in absensce of any foul play is not a rare ocurrance at all.

Agreed. Diablo is a very fragile game. I once started building a list of remote crash vulnerabilities (with plans to patch them), and gave up after I got to about a dozen. Ironically, it looks like the programmer(s) who wrote the innards were significantly more careful about parameter checking than the programmer(s) who wrote the code most likely to receive bad data.
Quote:Kp' date='Oct 23 2006, 07:57 PM' post='119384']
Agreed. Diablo is a very fragile game. I once started building a list of remote crash vulnerabilities (with plans to patch them), and gave up after I got to about a dozen. Ironically, it looks like the programmer(s) who wrote the innards were significantly more careful about parameter checking than the programmer(s) who wrote the code most likely to receive bad data.

I honestly don't agree. Perhaps it's because I'm using a new-age computer, but almost every all of my crashes happen in public games with people that I know cheat. Is there any way that a program could be made that would cancel or ignore the affects of the command to StartNewLvl, for instance, or others?
Quote:I honestly don't agree. Perhaps it's because I'm using a new-age computer, but almost every all of my crashes happen in public games with people that I know cheat. Is there any way that a program could be made that would cancel or ignore the affects of the command to StartNewLvl, for instance, or others?

Yes, that's exactly what I was refering to. I started tallying how many different fixes would be necessary to make Diablo acceptably crash-proof in the face of a malicious player. I abandoned the project with the conclusion that Diablo was simply too fragile to make it worth repairing. During the project I also determined that Diablo's internal logic was considerably more robust than the network interface, which is responsible for the StartNewLvl message (and others) that you have seen.

What are you disagreeing with? I indicated that Diablo was highly susceptible to remotely induced crashes, not that it tended to crash for no reason.
Quote:But I can definitely say that the game crashing in absensce of any foul play is not a rare ocurrance at all.

This is what I was disagreeing with, but perhaps that's just been my good fortune.