Has anyone played Divine Divinity?
Quote:Hi,
I am left having to emulate Johnson, "Sir, I have found you an argument; but I am not obliged to find you an understanding."

If you cannot or will not read and attempt to understand what I say, then I'm wasting my time saying it.

--Pete

...?

I read and responded to what you had to say, and frankly, what you have to say is outdated by at least 10 years.

You had already said that an RPG requires that the player's avatar should act in accordance with how the player himself would, in a true RPG. There's nothing close to that yet, BG, WoW and all other MMO's included.

Is open-endedness truly the single thing that separates an RPG from an action game, to you?
Quote:If the only thing you can consider to be an RPG is an emulation of D&D, then you leave hundreds of games either undefined or in the "Action/Adventure" genre. I'm sure there are hardcore fans of that genre that would be just as willing to say that Diablo is not even remotely an adventure game.

:blink:

Diablo has both action, and adventure. I don't think you'll hear much of a fight about that one.

Just because genre defining is an impercise science, doesn't mean everything is completely relative. 99% isn't 0%;)

Cheers,

Munk
Quote:...?

I read and responded to what you had to say, and frankly, what you have to say is outdated by at least 10 years.

Are you just picking on Pete because he's an ol' fella?;)

I'll spell it out for you. You give this definition:

"The distinction to me between an RPG and a non-RPG is that you take the role of a single character and follow that character's progression, whether it be through level ups, enhancements of skills, or simple storyline developments."

Pete says this:

"I guess the distinction to me between an RPG and a non-RPG is that you take the role of a single character and follow that character's progression where the player has the ability to alter the path of the character, whether it be through level ups, enhancements of skills, or simple storyline developments."

The idea of choice is intergral to what an RPG is. Without it, you aren't playing a character you've created, but rather a character determined for you by the game itself.

Make sense?:)

Cheers,

Munk
DD is a very nice game. It combines some of the better features of Diablo1, Diablo2 and the Baulder's Gate series. I played it for 2-3 months or so and enjoyed it a lot. It is strictly Single-player though. Well worth a try.

However as already mentioned above, DO NOT buy it's sequel Beyond Divinity. It is a complete POS.

-A
Quote:I'll spell it out for you. You give this definition:

"The distinction to me between an RPG and a non-RPG is that you take the role of a single character and follow that character's progression, whether it be through level ups, enhancements of skills, or simple storyline developments."

Pete says this:

"I guess the distinction to me between an RPG and a non-RPG is that you take the role of a single character and follow that character's progression where the player has the ability to alter the path of the character, whether it be through level ups, enhancements of skills, or simple storyline developments."

Munk

Your one enhancement, in the only way I can see it done in games so far, is in having a karma system, or a good/evil guild, or something similar. Having such a system in a game means next to nothing to me, and I fail to see how something so basic can be the single definining point of a genre to you.
Quote:Your one enhancement, in the only way I can see it done in games so far, is in having a karma system, or a good/evil guild, or something similar. Having such a system in a game means next to nothing to me, and I fail to see how something so basic can be the single definining point of a genre to you.

Let me ask you a honest question, do you read the threads in Outline view and only click on the threads which directly reply to you?
Quote:Let me ask you a honest question, do you read the threads in Outline view and only click on the threads which directly reply to you?

There isn't a post in any topic in the last 4 months that I haven't read.