PvP standing, lifetime HK, and rating
One's PvP standing is according to rating.

Lifetime HK can vary by a factor of 2 or more among similar ratings. How is the rating calculated?

Maybe this has been discussed earlier, my browser stalls when I search on "rating"...
[Image: spangles_sig_3.jpg]
clicky

The numbers are from the original version of the honor system (it is now easier to get the higher ranks), but it works the same way.
Delgorasha of <The Basin> on Tichondrius Un-re-retired
Delcanan of <First File> on Runetotem
Try http://www.wowwiki.com/Formulas:Honor_System

Some of the specifics there might be out of date, but the basics are the same.

Here's the abridged version for you though.:)

Each week your weekly honor points are compared to the rest of your faction on your server to determine your standing. You gain a certain amount of rating points depending on that standing. As you accumulate rating points you gain ranks.

There is a decay affect on rating points as well, which is explained more fully in the wowwiki article, but the basics of it are that you loose 20% of your current rating points each week.

In the end, life time kills have absolutely nothing to do with your rank, which is why you can see rank three players with 100,000 kills and rank 14 players with 30,000.
I hate flags

"Then Honor System came out and I had b*$@& tattoo'd on my forehead and a "kick me" sign taped to my back." - Tiku

Stormscale: Treglies, UD Mage; Treggles, 49 Orc Shaman; Tregor, semi-un-retired Druid.

Terenas (all retired): 60 Druid; 60 Shaman. (Not very creative with my character selection, am I?!Wink
Full details here:
http://www.wowwiki.com/Formulas:Honor_System

It's complex, but I will attempt a simple explanation...

Each week (Tuesday maint.) weekly honor is summarized. The person with the highest honor total gets #1 standing for the week and 13,000 ranking points. everyone underneath him gets a proportionately lower number of ranking points. According to wowwiki, the finction is a straight line between certain standing numbers, as demonstrated on this graph at the wowwiki link: http://www.wowwiki.com/Image:RPvsCP-examp.png

Supposedly, the change in the 1.12 patch change the 'breakpoints' for these standing numbers so if people were clustered near #1, or any 'breakpoint' those just below would get higher overall ranking points.

PvP rank is a cumulation of your ranking points... minus decay. Every week you lose 20% of your total if you have more than 25 HKs (only 10% if you have fewer than 25 HKs).

So you can figure how many ranking points you got this week by using the following formula:
This weeks ranking point total - (Last Weeks ranking point total * 0.8) = ranking points gained this week

Aside from rank 1 and 2, ranks are every 5000 ranking points.
Rank1 = get X HKs ( I think X = 25, some incredibly low number)
Rank2 = 2000 ranking points
Rank3 = 5000 ranking points
Rank4 = 10000 ranking points
etc....

You can figure your approximate maximum rank given infinite time by multiplying your weekly ranking point total by 5. In reality it will be slightly lower than this, because things move very slowly once you approach the theoretical maximum.

That being said, it's supposedly only about 2-5 weeks until the patch that will completely remove this whole system and will substitute an alternate system for getting rewards from PvPing, so set your goals accordingly.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Quote:One's PvP standing is according to rating.

Lifetime HK can vary by a factor of 2 or more among similar ratings. How is the rating calculated?

Maybe this has been discussed earlier, my browser stalls when I search on "rating"...

Nothing to add as far as the existing Honor system. However, you do know that it's days are numbered, right?

The new and completely revamped Honor system will be introduced *before* the BC comes out, so I wouldn't delve too deep into the existing one.

-A
Thanks for these infos and analysis. It's a lot more complicated than I thought.

Spangles started BGs in late September. She is currently Rank 9, and hopes to make Rank 11 before the 1.13 patch. No reason to stop now, there is still a lot to learn.

Honor is just another rep grind, more fun than Wintersabers, which was long & drawn out, or Cenarion, which was ghastly. The only problem is that it's revenue-neutral. Raid, pvp, farm, pick any two.

My only regret is that BG rep will be wiped or become irrelevant. Concurrent gains in Alliance rep should be permanent tho, and may become useful later.

[Image: spangles_sig_3.jpg]
Quote:(Snip.)
Honor is just another rep grind, more fun than Wintersabers, which was long & drawn out, or Cenarion, which was ghastly. The only problem is that it's revenue-neutral. Raid, pvp, farm, pick any two.

My only regret is that BG rep will be wiped or become irrelevant. Concurrent gains in Alliance rep should be permanent tho, and may become useful later.
The analagy between a reputation grind and the honor grind to fairly accurate, but with a couple of differences. With the honor grind, you can't take a week off and go do something different without loosing points. The other difference is that the closer you get to your goal the harder you have to "work" to reach that goal.

Of course, after 1.13, then honor will become exactly like a rep grind, except you get to spend your reputation points.:)It's a shame that we'll be loosing any progress we've made to the next rep. level, but I'm not too fused about loosing my exalted status with the various factions. After all, I've already purchased my gear and it could very easily be considered that I've "spent" my rep./honor points on that gear.:)
I hate flags

"Then Honor System came out and I had b*$@& tattoo'd on my forehead and a "kick me" sign taped to my back." - Tiku

Stormscale: Treglies, UD Mage; Treggles, 49 Orc Shaman; Tregor, semi-un-retired Druid.

Terenas (all retired): 60 Druid; 60 Shaman. (Not very creative with my character selection, am I?!Wink
Quote:Nonsense goes here
Hai. Bai.
Currently enjoying liberating the land of Sanctuary

[Image: arethor.jpg]
Stormrage - US (Inactive)
88 posts in 1 day?!?? Who has the ban stick?
------------Terenas------------
Dagorthan – Level 85 Blood Knight
Turothan – Level 83 Blood Knight
Sarothan – Level 62 Blood Knight
Durambar – Level 82 Warrior
Strifemourne – Level 80 Death Knight