Returning to WoW for BC?
I'm considering picking up the Burning Crusade and venturing back into WoW-land. My previous forays did not pan out, for a variety of reasons, so I'm highly skeptical of any future success. However, I feel I need to take up gaming again. I have been on gaming hiatus for months. This is not good. This is not me. Ergo, I need to change.:)

Has the early game for WoW improved any, so that casual players can actually achieve something in order to reach the expansion content? Or is it the same old grind that I'll probably pass out from boredom before ever making it past level 40? And is the late-game (60 - 70) content really worth all the investment to get from 1 - 60 (keep in mind, I am not much of a rusher. I just seem to lack the ability, period)?

I guess I'm itching for something to play, and I figure I had some enjoyment from WoW, I might as well look into it again. I think the social aspect of the game will be the glue that binds me. Unfortunately, that's what's most severely lacking for me in EVERY MMO I've played since DAoC.

I guess I just wanted some thoughts and opinions from people who've stuck with the game, from those who have returned with the Burning Crusade, and just general stuff. I'm honestly not sure if I'll take the plunge, but I feel I need to do something to change my life, and gaming is what's on the board. I've lost it, I miss it, I want it back. So here's a start.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Quote:I'm considering picking up the Burning Crusade and venturing back into WoW-land. My previous forays did not pan out, for a variety of reasons, so I'm highly skeptical of any future success. However, I feel I need to take up gaming again. I have been on gaming hiatus for months. This is not good. This is not me. Ergo, I need to change.:)

Has the early game for WoW improved any, so that casual players can actually achieve something in order to reach the expansion content? Or is it the same old grind that I'll probably pass out from boredom before ever making it past level 40? And is the late-game (60 - 70) content really worth all the investment to get from 1 - 60 (keep in mind, I am not much of a rusher. I just seem to lack the ability, period)?

If you didn't like 1-60 (or, as it seems, never got there) you won't find much out of the Burning Crusade. Absolutely nothing has changed about getting to 60, and 60-70 is really just more of the same. It's what most people wanted, and it's what they got; but if you didn't like WoW before you definitely won't like it now.
The awesome graphics, music, sounds and atmosphere of the new starting zones and the Outlands alone are worth the purchase IMO. If WoW was tier 1 in that regard, then TBC is tier 2.

Otherwise, leveling up is pretty much the same with the exception that the new quest lines are more interesting, and the Outlands dungeons and instances are much more casual player friendly with respect to group sizes and time required to clear the dungeons/instances.

Buy it!;)
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
Quote:The awesome graphics, music, sounds and atmosphere of the new starting zones and the Outlands alone are worth the purchase IMO. If WoW was tier 1 in that regard, then TBC is tier 2.

And yet 20-58 (when you can enter Outlands) is still the same sodding zones we've had for 2 years, and they're still as dull as ever after the nth time through them.
You don't know what you're talking about.
Seriously Roland, if you didn't enjoy 1-60 in classic WoW, you aren't going to find anything of interest in TBC. The game really didn't change except in how some of the high end raiding goes and you likely never made it there to notice if you only made it to 40 ;-) I personally welcome the lack of necessity to get 40 people together so the changes are welcome to me.
Quote:Seriously Roland, if you didn't enjoy 1-60 in classic WoW, you aren't going to find anything of interest in TBC. The game really didn't change except in how some of the high end raiding goes and you likely never made it there to notice if you only made it to 40 ;-) I personally welcome the lack of necessity to get 40 people together so the changes are welcome to me.

Roland, if you didn't like WoW in its old form (and I remember from SR, you didn't), don't try the expansion.
--Mav
Thanks for all the input. It's about what I figured.

I think, maybe someday, I'll come back to WoW. I'll pick up the expansion then. For now, I don't think I can commit enough to enjoy WoW. I'll just find some other gaming outlet in the meantime.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Just a counterpoint to the above responses- depending on how long you've been gone, there have been some major changes to the game. Most classes have had major talent revisions, not to mention the fact that there are now 41-point talents for all 3 trees for all classes. PvP is much more fruitful and can get you some extremely good items for not a lot of effort (compared to the old system). Jewelcrafting is a neat profession and allows you to craft some decent rings/trinkets for yourself a lot earlier than you could find them before it came along. Shaman are now available on the Alliance side of things, and Paladins on the Horde. If you enjoyed 5-man dungeons, there are plenty of good ones in the Outlands (assuming you take the time to level that high). If you're worried about gear parity between yourself as a newly-minted level 60 and the old-school Naxx raiders, Outland quests are designed to gear you up VERY quickly. From a rogue perspective, I replaced all my gear except weapons (and would have replaced those if I hadn't gotten the High Warlord swords from 2 weeks of fairly casual PvP) by the time I hit level 62. Granted I had exactly 1 Zul'Gurub run under my belt prior to TBC being released, but if you like the feeling of getting new shinies then Outland is for you.:)

On the flip side, yes, you have to slog your way to level 58 before you get to the new good quest content unless you create a Blood Elf / Draenei. Most of your guildies will probably be in the Outlands and unable/unwilling to help you with lower level quests unless they've rolled one of the new races. Quest format hasn't changed much even in the expansion (kill 10 dinglehoppers, gather 20 widgets) although there are some new types (bombing runs woohoo!) and world PvP objectives.

I guess it all depends on what you like doing when you play games. Exploring? There's a TON of stuff you haven't seen if you haven't even hit 40 (plus exploring/travel gets easier once you grab a mount). Gear progression? Evenly-paced upgrades till you hit Outlands, then you'll be replacing most of your gear in a single level. Lore? There are lots of great questlines throughout the course of the game, and some of the best ones are at higher levels (Tirion Fordring line is excellent!).

A 2-month game card is ~$25 at Amazon.com. A small price to pay for 2 months of entertainment, if you ask me. Er, yeah, plus the $40 for the expansion.:)

Dang that was long.
So far I am finding that I like it... although I have yet to experience any of the BC content, as I just got my copy of the expansion today. I haven't played since the beta, but I am finding that my 3 year old memories of the starting areas are surprisingly good.

I have a dwarf hunter named Thunderbuss on Stormrage -- give me a /wave if any of you high-level folks whizz past me.:)
Of course, your mileage may vary.
Quote:I have a dwarf hunter named Thunderbuss on Stormrage -- give me a /wave if any of you high-level folks whizz past me.:)

Join /Lurkers if you want to hang out wit' us.:)