Epic Flight Form for Druids
from Tseric: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.h...=74727492&sid=1

Quote:We have upcoming development plans which we wanted to share now, as it could impact choices that Druids might make in the immediate future regarding flying mount riding skills or purchasing epic mounts.

The regular Strom Crow form remains trainable at level 68 and moves at 60%. Also as previous, the normal flying mount skill comes with the form.

An epic quest line will be going into an upcoming patch which will grant Druids an additional flying form with increased stats. The epic flying form will move at the epic rate of 280%, but basically fall under the same conditions as the previous flight form (i.e. can't run on the ground)

However, the first prerequisite of the quest will require the epic flying mount riding skill, so it would not be a loss to Druids if they wish to purchase their epic flying mount skill now or in the near future. Obviously, one could then diversify their epic mounts beyond the Druid's casted epic form if they choose.
Quote:from Tseric: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.h...=74727492&sid=1

What a total load of crap. Not only do they get a flight form two levels before *every* other toon, but now they get an epic flight form as well?!

This better come on the heels of an announcement of pally and warlock flying mounts.
"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

The Blizzcon Class Discussion:
Crowd: "Our qq's will blot out the sun"
Warlocks: "Then we will pewpew in the shade"
Quote:What a total load of crap. Not only do they get a flight form two levels before *every* other toon, but now they get an epic flight form as well?!

This better come on the heels of an announcement of pally and warlock flying mounts.
Wait, why? Druids get flight form as an ability instead of a new combat-type spell, as other classes get. Currently it is almost completely obsolete once Druids hit level 70 and can train up for an epic mount (this is some small utility if you are out of combat and need to fly *now* rather than 2 seconds from now). The addition of a quest to allow to get an epic flying form just means that it will now be upgradable so that you can still use it even once you pay the 5k gold to train it. Also note that it requires Druids to pay the 5k gold, so it's not like they have any savings for it (conversely, they have to quest for it).

So what's your problem?
-TheDragoon
Quote:Wait, why? Druids get flight form as an ability instead of a new combat-type spell, as other classes get. Currently it is almost completely obsolete once Druids hit level 70 and can train up for an epic mount (this is some small utility if you are out of combat and need to fly *now* rather than 2 seconds from now). The addition of a quest to allow to get an epic flying form just means that it will now be upgradable so that you can still use it even once you pay the 5k gold to train it. Also note that it requires Druids to pay the 5k gold, so it's not like they have any savings for it (conversely, they have to quest for it).

So what's your problem?

Well, my gripe was over the "fairness" to the other mount-recieving classes, but what just struck me: can druids shift into flight form while in combat? Don't have one so I dont know, but if you can thats quite an advantage over, well, everyone.
"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

The Blizzcon Class Discussion:
Crowd: "Our qq's will blot out the sun"
Warlocks: "Then we will pewpew in the shade"
Quote:What a total load of crap. Not only do they get a flight form two levels before *every* other toon, but now they get an epic flight form as well?!

Yeah! Pavis wants his frying mount!:)
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
Quote:Well, my gripe was over the "fairness" to the other mount-recieving classes, but what just struck me: can druids shift into flight form while in combat? Don't have one so I dont know, but if you can thats quite an advantage over, well, everyone.
Druids cannot shift while in combat. Thus, the flight form, mechanically, is only advantageous over a normal flying mount in that you can cast it instantly rather than having to mount up, first. The draw back is that anything that enhances your speed while mounted (for exampled the crusader aura or the various +ride speed trinkets) will not work with flight form.

Essentially, once you get to 70 and can get a flying mount, flight form becomes little more than a niche skill that is only better than owning a mount in some very limited cases, it saves you a space in your inventory, and you saved 1000g for training the 225 riding skill. The epic flight form just means that the skill won't be quite as bad compared to a normal epic flying mount. And, again, I will point out that flight form counted as one of the new Druid skills in TBC. They could have gotten a new nuke, heal, melee, or snare attack, but they got flight form instead. :)
-TheDragoon
Quote:Druids cannot shift while in combat. Thus, the flight form, mechanically, is only advantageous over a normal flying mount in that you can cast it instantly rather than having to mount up, first. The draw back is that anything that enhances your speed while mounted (for exampled the crusader aura or the various +ride speed trinkets) will not work with flight form.

Essentially, once you get to 70 and can get a flying mount, flight form becomes little more than a niche skill that is only better than owning a mount in some very limited cases, it saves you a space in your inventory, and you saved 1000g for training the 225 riding skill. The epic flight form just means that the skill won't be quite as bad compared to a normal epic flying mount. And, again, I will point out that flight form counted as one of the new Druid skills in TBC. They could have gotten a new nuke, heal, melee, or snare attack, but they got flight form instead. :)
Or you could have gotten only 4 new skills to begin with like Paladins and Warriors did.

There is no real need for Epic Flight form, as the increase in utility from obtaining one is almost nonexistant, while in return you have to do an undoubtedly long and difficult quest chain. Good job Blizzard, adding a small amount of flavor to a class, many players of which will probably not even bother/be able to enjoy, instead of focusing on other classes that require more attention.
Quote:There is no real need for Epic Flight form, as the increase in utility from obtaining one is almost nonexistent, while in return you have to do an undoubtedly long and difficult quest chain. Good job Blizzard, adding a small amount of flavor to a class, many players of which will probably not even bother/be able to enjoy, instead of focusing on other classes that require more attention.

(emphasis mine)

That's quite an assertion! Were you also opposed to warlocks and paladins having class-specific epic mounts?

You know, when the warlock epic mount quest was added to the game, they were the least played class in the game. Today that mantle has passed to the Druid. Maybe Blizzard just likes minority classes?

Edit: I'm personally quite amused that I've managed to be in position to take advantage of both the epic warlock mount quest soon after it came out and now the epic druid form quest.
Quote:Druids cannot shift while in combat. Thus, the flight form, mechanically, is only advantageous over a normal flying mount in that you can cast it instantly rather than having to mount up, first. The draw back is that anything that enhances your speed while mounted (for exampled the crusader aura or the various +ride speed trinkets) will not work with flight form.

As niche benefits go, that's rather nice :whistling: Especially since...

Quote:you could have gotten only 4 new skills to begin with like Paladins and Warriors did.
Quote:Well, my gripe was over the "fairness" to the other mount-recieving classes, but what just struck me: can druids shift into flight form while in combat? Don't have one so I dont know, but if you can thats quite an advantage over, well, everyone.

You seem to be under the impression the Druid is "receiving" this mount. He still has to pay the 5000g riding skill fee, just like any other player. The only thing a Druid is "receiving" is the 200g he would have spent on that epic flying mount.

You know what? You can have that gold. I will personally give you 200g if you can give me a useful class spell at 70 instead of a shiny toy used to shut the crying children up and keep them from plaguing the forums. This is a skill that's inferior to mounts in ways listed above, and gives only the advantages of being instant-cast and freeing up a bag slot.

Gold is easy to grind. Useful level 70 skills are not. I'll trade you that gold any day.
See you in Town,
-Z
Quote:(emphasis mine)

That's quite an assertion! Were you also opposed to warlocks and paladins having class-specific epic mounts?

You know, when the warlock epic mount quest was added to the game, they were the least played class in the game. Today that mantle has passed to the Druid. Maybe Blizzard just likes minority classes?

Edit: I'm personally quite amused that I've managed to be in position to take advantage of both the epic warlock mount quest soon after it came out and now the epic druid form quest.
You misunderstand me. I mean minority of Druids, not players.

Consider this: if your Warlock or Paladin already had a regular epic mount when the quest for epic Warlock/Paladin summonable mount became available, would you have taken that quest to get it, considering all the time and cost it takes? Some people would, but the majority of players would not - at least that what I believe.

My feeling is that, unless the quest is fairly easy, short and not too expensive, many Druids will simply buy the flying mount, since they have to spend 5000g to get the epic flying skill anyway. They already have the instant "escape" tool in the form of the regular Flight Form, and traveling by epic flying mount is faster anyway, since its speed can be increased with various items, unlike that of the epic Flight Form.

Of course, this new flight form also brings up a good possibility of appearance of Warlock and Paladin flying mounts - with having flying skill as a prerequisite, much like this new version of Flight Form. Some day down the line...
Quote:You misunderstand me. I mean minority of Druids, not players.

Consider this: if your Warlock or Paladin already had a regular epic mount when the quest for epic Warlock/Paladin summonable mount became available, would you have taken that quest to get it, considering all the time and cost it takes? Some people would, but the majority of players would not - at least that what I believe.

I don't see a lot of Paladins or Warlocks with epic ground mounts other than their class ones so I'd expect most players to do the quest even if they have a fast flying mount already.