Relief is on the way
Tigole has posted a little comment about the flat out anti-melee bias so far present in the game.

Quote:We're going to be doing a tuning pass on our dungeon and raid content to make sure that the point blank damage that Melee dps is taking (in particular rogues) isn't overly harsh.

For example, we'll be changing many monster cleaves to be a directional, 180 degree cone attack, rather than a 360 degree chain melee attack.

Expect these changes in a future patch. More details to come.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Quote:Tigole has posted a little comment about the flat out anti-melee bias so far present in the game.

Maybe it's just a long day at work's cynicism, but I'll believe it when I see it (fixing the bias that is).
Quote:Maybe it's just a long day at work's cynicism, but I'll believe it when I see it (fixing the bias that is).

And now the truth comes out, he posted this earlier today because the PTR notes released have nothing that helps the issue now. So we wait at least another patch. Obviously this announcement came to try to prevent the outcry over the patch.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Speaking of melee, has there been some sort of melee damage dealt by players (or at least casters) nerf? I switched back to my priest when the expansion came out, and I distinctly remember my staff doing more damage to mobs than my wand, by a good margin (epic staff vs. green wand). When I started fighting 60-63 outlands mobs, the situation seemed to be reversed, I think I was doing about half the damage I was expecting w/ melee.
Quote:Speaking of melee, has there been some sort of melee damage dealt by players (or at least casters) nerf? I switched back to my priest when the expansion came out, and I distinctly remember my staff doing more damage to mobs than my wand, by a good margin (epic staff vs. green wand). When I started fighting 60-63 outlands mobs, the situation seemed to be reversed, I think I was doing about half the damage I was expecting w/ melee.

I noticed that also, but I also noticed that my priest was getting a lot of glancing blows that was causing this. This was happening even if the weapon skill was only point short of being maxed and when I was fighting equal level mobs.
Quote:Speaking of melee, has there been some sort of melee damage dealt by players (or at least casters) nerf? I switched back to my priest when the expansion came out, and I distinctly remember my staff doing more damage to mobs than my wand, by a good margin (epic staff vs. green wand). When I started fighting 60-63 outlands mobs, the situation seemed to be reversed, I think I was doing about half the damage I was expecting w/ melee.

I haven't done any dedicated testing, but it certainly seems to me that melee mitigation and avoidance on the majority of Outland mobs has gone up a fair bit.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Quote:I haven't done any dedicated testing, but it certainly seems to me that melee mitigation and avoidance on the majority of Outland mobs has gone up a fair bit.

It has, some. Talents to help with it too.

My theory is that Blizzard was trying to get raiding people to spec into those talents by making boss AoEs HURT. It didn't work (rightfully so, since the talents weren't really powerful enough to justify it), so they're falling back to a different strategy.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
From the latest patch notes, cut down to those that affect melee DPS:

Quote:Tempest Keep/Arcatraz:
- The damage dealt by Wrath-Scryer Soccothrates' "Immolation" and
"Knock Away" abilities has been reduced.

Tempest Keep/Botanica:
- Sunseeker Gene-Splicers' Death and Decay now deals significantly
less damage and casts less frequently.

Karazhan:
- Maiden of Virtue's "Holy Wrath" has been slightly retuned to try and
allow additional melee attackers to be used against her.
- Maiden of Virtue's "Holy Fire" has been adjusted to prevent a
possible range exploit.
- Maiden of Virtue will no longer "Holy Fire" players under the effect
of "Repentance".
- The use of Divine Shield, Ice Block, or Cloak of Shadows will no
longer prematurely detonate the Shade of Aran's Flame Wreath.

No mention of Heroic Omor's Debuff of Death, alas.