need help killing uber meph now
title

forgot to mention, it's on USWest non-ladder.
Quote:title

never mind. finally found a level 79 smiter who downed meph so quickly. he showed me later his gear, which is an Exile, Chains of Honor, GoreRider, Raven Frost, Manald, Dracul's, "Black" war hammer, Highlord's. Forgot the helm he's using.
So you played with somebody who's probably using duped gear who managed to remove any shred of difficulty from the encounter. Good job.
Quality over quantity.
- BruceGod -
Quote:So you played with somebody who's probably using duped gear who managed to remove any shred of difficulty from the encounter. Good job.

One item that is almost for certain a dupe (Chains of Honor due to the Ber rune), and one that is likely (Exile due to the Ohm rune).

It's Blizzard's fault that a smiter, even geared with 100% legitimate gear, trivializes that encounter.
Quote:One item that is almost for certain a dupe (Chains of Honor due to the Ber rune), and one that is likely (Exile due to the Ohm rune).

It's Blizzard's fault that a smiter, even geared with 100% legitimate gear, trivializes that encounter.

Well, not that I would want that to happen... Unfortunately, it's my first uber Tris run and I'm at the game for over 6 hours and feeling super tired and worthless (Diablo went down pretty easily, I had a little trouble with Baal but downed him with several tries -- this happened within the first 2 hours of the game which I solo'd).

I spent the next 4+ hours barely denting uber Meph..:( (the most I've dented Meph during this time was maybe around 1/6th of Meph's life bar) that's when I called somebody to help (I had solo'd killing uber Duriel and uber Izual; but I had trouble killing Lilith by myself [spent maybe 2-3 hours barely denting Lilith] -- that time I called on somebody (random person from Bnet) to help me kill Lilith, between that paladin and my zon, it took us some time and we finally killed Lilith -- I'm not sure if that paladin is fully legit)

The first paladin I called for help to deal with uber Meph is the same person who helped me kill Lilith -- we battled Meph maybe around 30 minutes, but still got defeated. Finally that paladin decided to call it quits (he also died quite a few times -- he also tried switching to his necro and druid character). I only have my zon as my highest character, I have a Barbarian character who's my next most powerful character (aside from my zon).

This is the time I wrote the message here on this board to call for help. After about 15-30 minutes, since there were no replies, that's when I dropped in on another game and called on another random paladin who heeded my call for help, this one downed Meph so fast (I think in 1 minute where my amazon failed for 4 hours..). Actually, my zon died just prior to the moment Meph died so I didn't see Meph's death scene (though I did notice Meph's life bar dropped quite quickly with the paladin's attacks. He was the one who picked up the Hellfire Torch and gave it to me (an average Assassin torch).

During the entire time I was soloing, my level 91 amazon felt so powerless battling Meph. From around 2 million gold to 0 gold left.:( At first, I failed to just leave my gold in town (out of stash)... But after it dwindled to around 1 million, I left the gold in town, but used up all that gold resurrecting my merc.

Anyway, would it be possible to add up any of you here so that in case I collect the keys again and do another uber Tristram, I can call on your help.

~~~~~

my zon's gear (all gear I'm using I found myself either with this character or another of my characters, except the shield which someone gave me; the shield is the only item I'm using where I'm unsure is legit or not):

Harlequin Crest (only 98 defense) - all my gear are nonsocketed nor upgraded
Skullder's Ire (only 651 defense)
Titan's Revenge (pretty average stat; 6% ls)
Laying of Hands
Gorerider
Thundergod's Vigor
Highlord's Wrath
Raven Frost
rare ring with dual leech (7% ls, 5% ms, some fire res and some +mana and +str) -- this sweetie I got from gambling

Sanctuary monarch shield (res all 65%!) -- somebody gave me (I previously used a Rhyme grim shield which I created myself)

stats: around 1050 life, and 400+ mana with gear; actually I still have several stat points left unallocated (should probably pour them all to VIT)
resists: fire 75%, ltng 85%, poison 75%, cold 60+ % (with the Sanctuary shield)

As you notice, I play a Lightning Fury zon (not a pure javazon since I have at least 1 point in most bow skills, with a bit more points in Freezing Arrow -- I think they call my breed a hybrid bow/zon?). I keep a Hellrack crossbow on switch. I don't use the Hellrack except to kill off the rare monster spawns which are both physical-immune and lightning-immune (usually some bosses). I also have a Demon Limb which I use to enchant myself when preparing to battle difficult bosses (I used it many times during my uber Tris run, which also dwindled my gold recharging it after so many enchants)

My merc (defensive) uses (again, all gear I found myself):

The Reaper's Toll (average)
Guillame's Face
Atma's Wail (maybe a Shaftstop would be better, but I guess the I kept using this for the 20% MF)

(my reason for choosing defensive merc was to boost my defense since when I started playing my characters years ago, my Internet connection was pretty laggy, and the high defense boost often help save my character from death, both for me and the merc)

~~~~~

With regards to legit gear.. I thought I'd never find a real high rune in my entire 6 or so years playing Diablo 2 (I sort of stopped playing Diablo 2 for maybe the last 2 or 3 years but I kept on refreshing my characters in B.net every now and then to prevent them from expiring.)

On a side note, I just found a Cham rune in that game (I'm the only one in the game since I created that passworded game) where I battled uber Tristram!

I was preparing to make the game permanent first so I battled some monsters in Act V for the first 5 or more minutes of the game prior to making the uber Tristram portal. And coincidentally, during the first 5 or so minutes, I found a Lightsabre (I think it's the 3rd one I've found myself) and the Cham rune.

I was collecting potions and making the game "permanent" first before I decided to open the portal to uber Tristram (it was a password-protected game and I had first planned to solo the 3 ubers -- my first time to actually battle ubers since nobody has ever invited me to join an uber Tristram before).

In my 6 years of playing Diablo 2, this is the first high rune I found (not from hell forge). I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the Cham rune and actually I could have missed it when I hadn't gone back to pick up some more junk to sell from the ground).

To think in 6 years of playing, the highest rune I've ever seen dropped (not from hellforge) was an Um rune (somebody picked it up immediately, it dropped from a hell baal game - probably from one of the bosses or minions in the 5 waves in the Throne room). And the highest rune I've ever picked up myself from the ground (ie. monster drop) was a single Pul rune (forgot from where). The highest rune I ever got from Hell countess runs must just be a Ko rune.:(

~~~~~

Now, since some of you here in the Lounge replied to my call, would it be ok to ask for your help next time I collect enough keys to make another uber Tristram? (I also probably still need some help killing Lilith, since I didn't fare so well the last time which was my first time).

~~~~~

Come to think of it, I think the easiest to kill was uber Izual (my zon downed him in maybe 30 seconds or so). I did read that uber Izual is easy, except for the Oblivion Knights which are usually present in his realm. However, during the uber Izual portal I made, strangely, I didn't encounter Oblivion Knights (perhaps that's also why I found uber Izual so easy?) What I encountered were the succubus (forgot which kind) and plenty of Pit Lords in uber Izual's realm.. Wow the Pit Lords are immune to magic / fire / cold / lightning / poison. I was actually surprised since it was my first time to see a quintuple-immune monster! Fortunately, they're not physical-immune so I was able to kill them with slightly more effort.

uber Duriel's HF aura made my zon slow, but since I was using plenty of IAS gear (20% ammy, 20% gloves, 30% titan's), it's not that slow and uber Duriel also went down with slightly more effort (hmm. I think my character didn't die in his realm; unlike in Izual's realm where my zon got killed a few times when mobbed by a combination of the furies and pit lords.

Lilith presented a problem to my zon. I think the problem is that I can't seem to hit Lilith when my zon got poisoned. My zon's AR (after enchant with Demon Limb) was around 9500+ AR (level 91 zon), but the hits with Jab seemed to connect with Lilith very very few times. Perhaps coupled with the fact that Lilith doesn't get chilled/slowed by cold attacks (my poison res was 75%). Lilith's physical attack is really powerful, I think my zon can only withstand 1 hit. The next 1 or 2 hit usually kills my zon (my zon is around 1050 HP with gear).
Quote:title

You play softcore? I've pretty much given up on this game until Blizzard releases the 1.13 patch - if that ever happens. I won't give my hopes up. Anyways, was thinking of possibly getting back into it a little here and there, but I only play hardcore.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:You play softcore? I've pretty much given up on this game until Blizzard releases the 1.13 patch - if that ever happens. I won't give my hopes up. Anyways, was thinking of possibly getting back into it a little here and there, but I only play hardcore.

Yup, softcore only... I don't think my Internet connection is solid enough (much better than years ago though) for me to stay alive in hardcore... where a slight lag could cause instant death...

Anyway, I think the game just got a little bit more exciting for me since about a month or so ago, the Diablo Walks the Earth message finally appeared and I got to kill the Diablo Clone (it was a solo game, fortunately, no one else was in that game which I created at the time that happened). So it was my first time to finally encounter the DC and get my first annihilus charm. :-)

Just like I thought I'd never find any rune above Um (which just happened around last week, when I found the Cham rune), I'd never thought that I would encounter the Diablo Clone playing D2 Realms... Well, both just happened, so it raised my hopes up again for the game (hoping that another high rune will drop, and hope to encounter another Diablo Clone so that my other characters can have their own annis too.)
Quote:In my 6 years of playing Diablo 2, this is the first high rune I found (not from hell forge). I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the Cham rune and actually I could have missed it when I hadn't gone back to pick up some more junk to sell from the ground).

To think in 6 years of playing, the highest rune I've ever seen dropped (not from hellforge) was an Um rune (somebody picked it up immediately, it dropped from a hell baal game - probably from one of the bosses or minions in the 5 waves in the Throne room). And the highest rune I've ever picked up myself from the ground (ie. monster drop) was a single Pul rune (forgot from where). The highest rune I ever got from Hell countess runs must just be a Ko rune.:(

I use to play a lot back before 2004, and the highest rune I ever got was Ist from Hellforge. But in the last few months (since I started playing again), I've done much better. Two Ist runes and a Vex rune from drops, and I don't play nearly as much as I used to. Forge has given me two Mals also. I also found an Ohm, but can't remember if that was a drop or forge (does forge even drop Ohm?).

Cham... that's crazy lucky.

I took my first and only trip to uber trist a few weeks ago. Had two friends along to help (including barb with BO which really made a big difference) -- they kept the minions busy while my paladin chewed up the ubers. The combination of smite and Dracul's trivializes things. While I did drink a few rejuvs against Lilith, I didn't even pot against the rest. I did all the cheap tricks for Meph, Treachery swapped out for Smoke, 4 perf diamond shield, crushing blow gear. That setup is stupidly powerful against Diablo Clone too.

Haven't played since.

Quote:I use to play a lot back before 2004, and the highest rune I ever got was Ist from Hellforge. But in the last few months (since I started playing again), I've done much better. Two Ist runes and a Vex rune from drops, and I don't play nearly as much as I used to. Forge has given me two Mals also. I also found an Ohm, but can't remember if that was a drop or forge (does forge even drop Ohm?).

Cham... that's crazy lucky.

I took my first and only trip to uber trist a few weeks ago. Had two friends along to help (including barb with BO which really made a big difference) -- they kept the minions busy while my paladin chewed up the ubers. The combination of smite and Dracul's trivializes things. While I did drink a few rejuvs against Lilith, I didn't even pot against the rest. I did all the cheap tricks for Meph, Treachery swapped out for Smoke, 4 perf diamond shield, crushing blow gear. That setup is stupidly powerful against Diablo Clone too.

Haven't played since.

I suppose Life Tap makes many difficult encounters much easier then... Will be on the lookout for Dracul's then. Or perhaps a partied Necro can cast Life Tap for me.

BTW, does Life Tap work for monsters that have 0% drain effectiveness (ie. monsters which cannot be life/mana-stealed)?
Quote:I suppose Life Tap makes many difficult encounters much easier then... Will be on the lookout for Dracul's then. Or perhaps a partied Necro can cast Life Tap for me.

You can even just buy a wand with life tap charges (until your Dracul's procs you are vulnerable, this is a good idea even with Dracul's).

Quote:BTW, does Life Tap work for monsters that have 0% drain effectiveness (ie. monsters which cannot be life/mana-stealed)?

I believe so.