WOW players, otherwise known as the sleep deprived
I don't know about you guys but before WOW I was getting a decent amount of sleep at night. Since I got sucked in I keep finding more and more reasons to stay up longer. There's always that one last item to get for that annoying gathering quest, that one last boss to kill, almost there on the rep you need, etc.

All I'm saying is that it seems that every day I resolve to get more sleep but that resolve melts when I'm involved in wow. Only problem is that just because I get to bed later doesn't mean I can sleep in later, work still starts at the same time.

So is this just me or do you guys have the same problem?
Melothan - 85 BE Warlock
Melidorn - 80 Orc Shaman

Personally, I have few problems with this, but that might be because I primarily play with people in the Eastern time zones while I live in the Western time zone... :)
-TheDragoon
Well after a couple of years of this, I'm pretty well trained to deal with it. Even if I don't play WoW, I have essentially extended my day by a couple of hours. Medical research indicates this isn't a great idea, especially for the young... but I'm not that young anymore.
Quote:I don't know about you guys but before WOW I was getting a decent amount of sleep at night. Since I got sucked in I keep finding more and more reasons to stay up longer. There's always that one last item to get for that annoying gathering quest, that one last boss to kill, almost there on the rep you need, etc.

All I'm saying is that it seems that every day I resolve to get more sleep but that resolve melts when I'm involved in wow. Only problem is that just because I get to bed later doesn't mean I can sleep in later, work still starts at the same time.

So is this just me or do you guys have the same problem?
You do realize that you have Bonemage to blame for this issue, don't you? Don't blame the game, blame the man who drug you into it.;):D

Luckily, I deal with the lack of extra sleep by having a somewhat physical job. At a certain point in the night, the body takes control of the head and that's it. I'm going to bed, regardless of what else I "need" to accomplish. :)
Intolerant monkey.
Quote:You do realize that you have Bonemage to blame for this issue, don't you? Don't blame the game, blame the man who drug you into it.;):D
I didn't drag him into WoW, I drug him to Terenas...
------------Terenas------------
Dagorthan – Level 85 Blood Knight
Turothan – Level 83 Blood Knight
Sarothan – Level 62 Blood Knight
Durambar – Level 82 Warrior
Strifemourne – Level 80 Death Knight
Quote:I didn't drag him into WoW, I drug him to Terenas...
Minor detail.
Intolerant monkey.

Yeah, he didn't technically pull me in. Just showed me that WOW could be more fun with mature people that knew how to play. Some friends got me playing only to find out they played at times I couldn't. Although I do blame him for perpetuating the addiction seeing as we talk WOW all day at work all the time.
Melothan - 85 BE Warlock
Melidorn - 80 Orc Shaman

And really, it's "dragged" and not "drug", but I liked the dual meaning so I kept your word.
------------Terenas------------
Dagorthan – Level 85 Blood Knight
Turothan – Level 83 Blood Knight
Sarothan – Level 62 Blood Knight
Durambar – Level 82 Warrior
Strifemourne – Level 80 Death Knight
Quote:And really, it's "dragged" and not "drug", but I liked the dual meaning so I kept your word.

Minor Details... =)
Melothan - 85 BE Warlock
Melidorn - 80 Orc Shaman

I was playing easily 40-50 hours/week back on Tichondrius. I had that issue then (along with barely managing to maintain my marriage). I transferred here to be more casual...and I have:) Don't have the problem too often anymore. Every now and then I'll stay up too late, but it's not often. I just have to regulate my time and remember that progression in wow = time spent. I'll never have the best gear/faction/etc. I just try to be happy with what I can accomplish in my limited time:)
[Image: 398611nxqZf.png]
[Image: 398692clWcy.png]

-=Terenas=-
Saryn - 70 priestess
Tacita - 70 mage

-=Stormrage=-
Bellona - 60 Human Warlock
Raylyn - 21 Human Pries
Aesa - 60 Human Mage
Kirra - 39 Human Warrior
Kalb - 32 Dwarven Priest

-=Tichondrius=-
Zheelu - 52 Troll Rogue
Quote:Well after a couple of years of this, I'm pretty well trained to deal with it. Even if I don't play WoW, I have essentially extended my day by a couple of hours. Medical research indicates this isn't a great idea, especially for the young... but I'm not that young anymore.

That's funny, I thought the young could handle it more than the old. I seem to remember that I used to think five hours of sleep a night was fine, now I struggle to stay awake with 7. But yes, there is a point my brain gives the five minute warning that it's going to shut down no matter what else I have to do in WOW.
Melothan - 85 BE Warlock
Melidorn - 80 Orc Shaman

Quote:I was playing easily 40-50 hours/week back on Tichondrius. I had that issue then (along with barely managing to maintain my marriage). I transferred here to be more casual...and I have:) Don't have the problem too often anymore. Every now and then I'll stay up too late, but it's not often. I just have to regulate my time and remember that progression in wow = time spent. I'll never have the best gear/faction/etc. I just try to be happy with what I can accomplish in my limited time:)

That's actually the reason I moved to Terenas. It's hard to find a casual guild these days that does any raiding to speak of. While I haven't raided yet I look forward to doing that on my schedule.

As for the marriage..... I just connived to trick my wife into playing. She's the one that wants to play alot now, although she won't admit she's "hooked". That really helps with the wife aggro aspect of it. Although now we're both in the same boat of getting little sleep. hehe
Melothan - 85 BE Warlock
Melidorn - 80 Orc Shaman

I used to do this more, but now I have a schedule of nights I sleep late and nights I don't. I get 5-6 hours then I get 9-10 hours. I don't know if this is healthy, but I have a pretty set schedule for the week with it.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Quote: I'll never have the best gear/faction/etc. I just try to be happy with what I can accomplish in my limited time:)

I think this not only applies to WoW, but extends to all areas of life. If you never appreciate and are happy with what you have, you will never be happy, becuase whatever you have, there's always someone who has more / better / faster of something than you do.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Quote:That's funny, I thought the young could handle it more than the old. I seem to remember that I used to think five hours of sleep a night was fine, now I struggle to stay awake with 7. But yes, there is a point my brain gives the five minute warning that it's going to shut down no matter what else I have to do in WOW.

Not from my experience. When I was in high school, between 16 and 18 I needed 10 hours of sleep or I didn't operate well the next day. In college, I needed 8 to 9 hours to function properly. Now, at 36, I get by just fine with between 6 and 7 hours of sleep, if I get more than 7 hours I end up not being able to function well either. If I keep up this path, by the time I'm 60 I'll be to Picaso's level of sleep need (the time it takes a spoon to drop from my hand to the floor while sitting in a chair :P).
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Quote:Not from my experience. When I was in high school, between 16 and 18 I needed 10 hours of sleep or I didn't operate well the next day. In college, I needed 8 to 9 hours to function properly. Now, at 36, I get by just fine with between 6 and 7 hours of sleep, if I get more than 7 hours I end up not being able to function well either. If I keep up this path, by the time I'm 60 I'll be to Picaso's level of sleep need (the time it takes a spoon to drop from my hand to the floor while sitting in a chair :P).

That's funny, I'm the opposite. Maybe I'm just weird that way, then again that wouldn't be the first way I'm weird. =) I could get by with 5 or less hours in high school, now I'm a zombie if I don't get 7. Although I would agree that I think I'm starting to reprogram my body to need less sleep. Not sure yet if that's a bad thing or not.
Melothan - 85 BE Warlock
Melidorn - 80 Orc Shaman

The primary change I have seen over the last few years is that my sleep needs to be more consistent than it used to. During the summers in high school I would regularly get 1-4 hours of sleep each night for a couple weeks on end, and then sleep for about 16hours on a day off. I doubt I could do that anymore. Now I just sleep for 7-8 hours pretty much every night, and feel like crap if I deviate much in either direction.
Delgorasha of <The Basin> on Tichondrius Un-re-retired
Delcanan of <First File> on Runetotem
Quote:I think this not only applies to WoW, but extends to all areas of life. If you never appreciate and are happy with what you have, you will never be happy, becuase whatever you have, there's always someone who has more / better / faster of something than you do.

No! Don't stop, don't rest for a moment until you've won the Indy 500, the UN Secretary-Generalship, the Mr. Universe pageant, and the Nobel Prize for medicine... in the same day!

*twitch*

-Jester
http://www.myextralife.com/archive.php?date=2001-09-30

Okay, substitute "World of Warcraft" for Everquest...
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm!
Quote:So is this just me or do you guys have the same problem?

I had quite the serious WoW problem:)

I have had weeks with around 20 hours sleep total during summer break, because I always found stuff to do in WoW. Rep, gold, stuff, xp, everything was more important than switching off that darn computer. I guess I'm pretty susceptible (sp?) to getting hooked on games or recreational activities, I had my Final Fantasy timer at 99 hours in five days, read the LotR trilogy in one sitting over who-knows how much time (it's all a blur!) and played WoW from sunday noon to early wednesday morning with just the really necessary breaks like eating and the opposite.

It didn't really work for me though, actually I'm amazed at how long I managed to keep going. Part of it is in my genes I guess, my mother worked a management job with regular 110 hours of work per week for years and still works 60-80 hours even though she's well over 60 nowadays.

At almost 27 I can get by for quite a few days with less than five hours of sleep and I don't need to "catch up", one night with eight straight hours of uninterrupted sleep gets me back on track.

The devilish thing about WoW was that I felt bad about stopping and thought about logging back in as soon as I got up again. Not good, /point addiction. That phase didn't last too long though, luckily I had people that set me straight again. I should probably mention that I was never in a hardcore raiding guild, so I set the goals that kept me playing myself.

I'll expect to be done with WoW when my (already cancelled) subscription runs out, shortly thereafter Halo 3 is going to test my addiction resistance.

Ah well, a little peek inside my past life:P

I'd like to add that if people keep telling you you (might) have a problem with playing too much, try to be honest to yourself.

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.