The Horrible Effect of Parry
Quote:Besides, if someone else does Sunders, the MT can start Devastating much faster.

Devestate is not the rage dump advertised in my experience. Heroic strike still remains my rage dump of choice.:)
Quote:Devestate is not the rage dump advertised in my experience. Heroic strike still remains my rage dump of choice.:)

I use Devastate after a full stack, in between Shield Slam and Revenge cooldowns. So, it gets used once or twice every six to eight seconds:P
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Once you have Sunders built up, not Devastating on every GCD you're not Revenging or Shield Slamming sounds like quite a waste to me.

Heroic Strike and Shield Block operate on their own cooldowns, and if you're not Sundering, you'll have plenty of GCDs to spare for Devastate. It's more threat.

And after all, Devastate doesn't consume a white hit.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
Hey folks, forum etiquette question here - may I copy the original post over to the Keepers forums? This is good info I think they should all know.

Thanks!

-Ben
Two things make me pause and wonder.

First, there are mechanisms in the game that most players will probably never perceive as such important like a simple parry in that boss encounter. Yes, any melee class will probably see parries very early in the game (You attack. Wolf parries your attack. With what?) But never know that it actually does more than just discard your time, rage, mana, or combo points.

Second, I've been always terribly annoyed at these rogues that jump constantly around you in PVP or duels. Now I see that this does make absolutely sense from their point of view. Although I still wonder how they manage to squeeze in a gouge while hopping around you like a madman...
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm!
Quote:Hey folks, forum etiquette question here - may I copy the original post over to the Keepers forums? This is good info I think they should all know.

Thanks!

-Ben
I think that would be fine, just include where you found the info, and a link to the original post here. Anyone have objections?
------------Terenas------------
Dagorthan – Level 85 Blood Knight
Turothan – Level 83 Blood Knight
Sarothan – Level 62 Blood Knight
Durambar – Level 82 Warrior
Strifemourne – Level 80 Death Knight
Quote:Once you have Sunders built up, not Devastating on every GCD you're not Revenging or Shield Slamming sounds like quite a waste to me.

Heroic Strike and Shield Block operate on their own cooldowns, and if you're not Sundering, you'll have plenty of GCDs to spare for Devastate. It's more threat.

And after all, Devastate doesn't consume a white hit.

Of course, this is true, but, it's as you say: When tanking, I only use Devastate when I don't have anything else to use the GCD for, other than making sure I use it enough to keep the sunder stack up.
--Mav
Quote:I think that would be fine, just include where you found the info, and a link to the original post here. Anyone have objections?

Sounds good.
--Mav
Quote:Of course, this is true, but, it's as you say: When tanking, I only use Devastate when I don't have anything else to use the GCD for, other than making sure I use it enough to keep the sunder stack up.

Mathematically the optimum threat cycle once the sunders are on is:

Global cooldown skills (one every 1.5 seconds)
Shield Slam
Revenge
Devastate
Devastate

Cycle takes 6 seconds which conveniently is the cooldown of shield slam and close enough to the cooldown of Revenge. (No lag and perfect reflexes are assumed)

On Next Swing (once every X seconds where X is your modified attack speed)
Heroic Strike

In addition you may need to activate Shield Block every 5 seconds. (Fortunately it operates without global cooldown)

The GCD attacks and the On Next Swing attacks are not contrained by the same factor so there is no need to use a heroic strike instead of a GCD move you can use both simultaneously

Of course that is one heck of a lot of key presses in a very short span of time so I'm also in the process of optimising how I do it and I certainly don't achieve it except in the briefest of bursts with my current set-up. I am looking at making macros to help me maintain this before I begin raiding

All this assumes you have plenty of rage, rage starved fights are different

Source:
http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?t...=94319875&sid=1

Interestingly the On Next Swing mechanic favours fast weapons while the Devastate mechanic favours slow weapons (bigger hits). I don't know whether fast or slow weapons number crunch out to higher threat. If no one enlightens us in the next day or so I'll see if I can sit down with the numbers and produce some calculations
Quote:Two things make me pause and wonder.

First, there are mechanisms in the game that most players will probably never perceive as such important like a simple parry in that boss encounter. Yes, any melee class will probably see parries very early in the game (You attack. Wolf parries your attack. With what?) But never know that it actually does more than just discard your time, rage, mana, or combo points.

Second, I've been always terribly annoyed at these rogues that jump constantly around you in PVP or duels. Now I see that this does make absolutely sense from their point of view. Although I still wonder how they manage to squeeze in a gouge while hopping around you like a madman...

Circle-strafing around your target is to negate Dodge, Block, and Parry as well as to reset their swing timer. Obviously, this works much better against people using slower, two-handed weapons (Warriors and Retrinoobs, primarily) than people using quick, one-handed weapons (Rogues.) Of course, many Rogue and kitty abilities rely on positioning, and this can also help.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
I'd go with faster weapons for their stats if nothing else. The Sun Eater and King's Defender are both 1.60 speed and are clearly superior to something like The Decapitator in regards to tanking. I also tend to start using Heroic Strike before Devastate (especially since I'll be spamming it while building up the sunder stack on "infinite rage" fights), and faster weapons make very efficient use of it.
Quote:In many fights this isn't as hard as it might seem either. If the pet ends up not on the side or behind you can just tell it to stay. Shift your position tell it follow send it back in. It does not need to get all the way back to you either since it will beeline to you and beeline back so you can change position pretty fast. The issue is that while you can move and not delay an autoshot if you stop in time you can't fire steady on the move. But when a beast hunter pet can push over 200 DPS you learn how to deal with it. You also want the pet behind the boss anyway to up it's damage to avoid the blocks and parries anyway.
Easier said than done with a shadowfiend - they don't hang around long enough to order around.
Quote:Easier said than done with a shadowfiend - they don't hang around long enough to order around.
Shadow fiends won't cause this enough to be significant as long as everyone else is doing their part to avoid it.
After taking 21,774 dmg from Maulgar in ~2.3s due to one parry :blink:, I'd like to put forth that giving a bossmob any unnecessary opportunities to parry are ill-advised.

Then again, maybe your tank needs the rage... :whistling:
~Frag
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
Quote:After taking 21,774 dmg from Maulgar in ~2.3s due to one parry :blink:, I'd like to put forth that giving a bossmob any unnecessary opportunities to parry are ill-advised.

Then again, maybe your tank needs the rage... :whistling:
~Frag

This was Magtheridon parrying the *tank* at a bad time. I don't think we need anyone else helping out....

04:15'55.378 Magtheridon's Cleave hits <tank> for 9376 (393 blocked)
04:15'55.378 <Tank>'s Heroic Strike parried by Magtheridon
04:15'56.300 Magtheridon's Melee hits <Tank> for 10627 (crushing)

20003 damage in .922 seconds. Ouch. (cleave ate 2nd shield block charge)
--Mav