Hypocrisy
I was reading today in Ars Technica about the bold faced hypocrisy of the recording industry where on they one hand they are being heavy handed with file sharing, and on the other, they are ripping off the artists themselves.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/20...eal-pirates.ars

The practice of listing unauthorized song use as "pending", where now the list has grown to over 300,000 songs that are "pending" authorization where they have not paid the artists any royalties.

But, then again... I never thought of the recording industry executives as anything more than blood sucking leeches anyway.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Trade you!

We have a battle ongoing because the television broadcasters have had the nerve to suggest that those companies that deliver their signals to the public should pay for that content that they are selling. :o

It is quite amusing to see the ads and additional propaganda suggesting that is is just hideously unfair. :lol:

Here is a link to the site they put up to deliver their story:
http://www.stopthetvtax.ca/
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Quote: I never thought of the recording industry executives as anything more than blood sucking leeches anyway.
This.

Just applied to all of the media industry executives.
Hugs are good, but smashing is better! - Clarence<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
Quote:But, then again... I never thought of the recording industry executives as anything more than blood sucking leeches anyway.
Leeches are so medieval.

David Byrne agrees.

-Jester
Quote:We have a battle ongoing because the television broadcasters have had the nerve to suggest that those companies that deliver their signals to the public should pay for that content that they are selling.
Do you mean pay for the public air waves that you can pick up through normal TV antennae? Don't advertisers already pay for your network programming?
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Quote:David Byrne agrees.
Good article. At some point though, I see the government colluding with the leeches to allow them exclusive rights to distribute through the internet. The powers that be will need to re-establish the legislative instrument by which media is distributed to the masses, otherwise, it would be a pure anarchy (much to our benefit).

Quote:Good article. At some point though, I see the government colluding with the leeches to allow them exclusive rights to distribute through the internet. The powers that be will need to re-establish the legislative instrument by which media is distributed to the masses, otherwise, it would be a pure anarchy (much to our benefit).

The thing is, the heads of the media industry still don't get it and still won't make the move. It's been, what, 10 years, since Napster came about and the music industry execs still don't understand digital distribution and refuse to really try to learn it. They're constantly being left in the dust by companies that are coming up with novel ideas to distribute and will probably dry up and blow away in the next few years as Artists begin to move more heavily to digital media distribution. With the changes that have come, Artists are also being forced to create better music than one or two good songs and the rest drivel because people can now purchase just the songs they like.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Hi,

Quote:They're constantly being left in the dust by companies that are coming up with novel ideas to distribute and will probably dry up and blow away in the next few years as Artists begin to move more heavily to digital media distribution.
Yep. And if the government leaves it alone, the market will take care of it. Not a big deal -- sorta like buggy whips.

Quote:With the changes that have come, Artists are also being forced to create better music than one or two good songs and the rest drivel because people can now purchase just the songs they like.
Again, yep. I've got bunches of CDs and LPs that I bought for one or two pieces. In my pre-lazy days, I used to make tapes of stuff I enjoyed -- workout tapes, driving tapes, etc.

With the reduced cost of recording and the ability to (once again -- anyone else remember 45s?) sell 'by the song', artists can try more experimental things. If even a few people like it, they can at least break even.

It's win-win-win except for the leaches. What's not to like? B)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:Hi,
Yep. And if the government leaves it alone, the market will take care of it. Not a big deal -- sorta like buggy whips.
Again, yep. I've got bunches of CDs and LPs that I bought for one or two pieces. In my pre-lazy days, I used to make tapes of stuff I enjoyed -- workout tapes, driving tapes, etc.

With the reduced cost of recording and the ability to (once again -- anyone else remember 45s?) sell 'by the song', artists can try more experimental things. If even a few people like it, they can at least break even.

It's win-win-win except for the leaches. What's not to like? B)

--Pete
Too late.

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2007/03/...-internet-radio

The radio stations I'm working with have limits on the number of simultaneous stream connections to keep the costs of Internet Radio controllable. AM/FM waves fall on people like sunshine, so how would you know if someone were actually listening to your station. Well, they actually do have people that walk/drive around with frequency monitors to measure and estimate how many listeners are actually tuned to a particular station. That usually has less to do with the rates the music industry charges, and more to do with the rate that advertisers are charged.

I was in a mildly successful band for 6 years, and I have to say, none of that is surprising. We were offered several low level 'intro' contracts, and they felt more like selling yourself into slavery than even an opening to the dream that we were chasing.

When I left the band to be a better family man, the band was looking at a 4th contract that was better than the previous 3, but still more of an indentured servitude plan than anything else.

The Music business is going to fall apart. Music and artists will eventually jump into league with places like Itunes, Rhapsody, or whatever else crops up like that, or they will independently release their music over the net.

Record Companies are trying to find anything they can to stay relevant without actually staying relevant.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright