BlizzCon: New content playable on Friday
Quote:That would be sad indeed. I'd rather him be the main bad guy of Warcraft IV.

/pines for Warcraft IV

Well, it's a simple matter (of following the tradition of expansion retcon), really.

You see, Frostmourne is a weapon of pure Light and wielding it has weakened Arthas over time. Although he used the sword in WC3, Arthas's dark heart has been infiltrated by the Light and he's no where near the strength he had when he lead the Scourge to invade Lordaeron and to fight Lich King Terenas Menethil II. In this expansion, we'll be able to join forces with the Lich King and bring his wrath to bear on the weakened Arthas.

In other (less facetious) news, a fellow has photographed a blizzcon banner through the glass windows using his iPhone. Here's a link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/62492410@N00/996783595/

And here's my transcription of the words I make out:
Quote:Some of the highlights you will lean more about at BlizzCon:
-The dark, necromantic Death Knight--the first new character class added to World of Warcraft since its launch
-Northrend, the harsh, icy continent where the Lich King holds sway--complete with new zones, quests, items, and monsters
-New level cap of 80--including access to mighty new powers and talents
-New Battleground(s) featuring epic siege warfare and destructible buildings
-Expanding character customization options, including new hairstyles & dances, the ability to change the hairstyles of existing characters, and new skin variants.

Edit: Curses, scooped by Pesmerga!
Quote:*The dark, necromatic Death Knight - the first new character class added to World of Warcraft since its launch.
*Northrend, the harsh, icy continent where the Lich King holds rule, complete with new zones, quests, items and monsters.
*New level cap of 80 providing access to mighty new powers and talents
*New battlegrounds featuring siege engine warfare and destructable buildings
*Expanding character customisation options including new hairstyles & dances, the ability to change the hairstyles of existing characters, and new skin color variants.

From http://www.mmo-champion.com/
I don't see how Death Knight as a playable class is going to fit into lore at all.

More pewpew starships, I suppose.
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune
Quote:I don't see how Death Knight as a playable class is going to fit into lore at all.

More pewpew starships, I suppose.

We don't even know how Death Knights are going to work yet, let's not bury Blizzard yet.
Quote:We don't even know how Death Knights are going to work yet, let's not bury Blizzard yet.

They gave most of the Death Knight abilities to Warlocks<_<
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Quote:They gave ONE of the Death Knight abilities to Warlocks<_<

Fixed. Only deathcoil.

The others were raising dead, unholy aura (move speed + health regen, IIRC), and killing your units for health.
Official site for the expansion is up. Find it here.
------------Terenas------------
Dagorthan – Level 85 Blood Knight
Turothan – Level 83 Blood Knight
Sarothan – Level 62 Blood Knight
Durambar – Level 82 Warrior
Strifemourne – Level 80 Death Knight
Quote:We don't even know how Death Knights are going to work yet, let's not bury Blizzard yet.
But... we do know how Death Knights work... go play WC2 or WC3 and you'll find out too.

Hence, the pewpew and the starships and the bastardization of more lore.
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Quote:But... we do know how Death Knights work... go play WC2 or WC3 and you'll find out too.

Hence, the pewpew and the starships and the bastardization of more lore.

Then would you care to explain to me how exactly they've already bastardized it?
Quote:Official site for the expansion is up. Find it here.
So Garrosh gets off his arse around the campfire and gets to kick some ass.

Maybe I should really get around to doing Thrall's Return before the expansion.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Quote:To say that "you can play new content at blizzcon" means that an xpac will be out soon is silly. I'd be suprised if it wasn't Zul'Aman.

Well I guess I owe 1/2 a retraction. I still think it was a jump to go from "playable content" to "xpac time", its just you jumped right this time. And I am suprised - suprised that anything will be playable the first time its announced.
Quote:Then would you care to explain to me how exactly they've already bastardized it?
The mere fact they're playable. In WC2 they were enslaved to demonic powers (the Burning Legion) and then in WC3 they were enslaved to the Lich King and by proxy, the Burning Legion. Warlocks use demonic powers; Death Knights are tools of demonic powers.

I'm sure they'll make some crap up to explain it all and further destroy my favorite video game story and one of my favorite stories period. I understand evolving story lines but when people can come up with better ideas (Worgen vs Draenei) and they're not even being paid to do it... I get a little peeved at Blizzard.
I'm not seeing the group role for a DK. The game already has a tank/DPS hybrid that wears plate and never goes OOM.
Quote:I'm not seeing the group role for a DK. The game already has a tank/DPS hybrid that wears plate and never goes OOM.

Maybe true, but hopefully this version won't make you want to punch yourself in the mouth trying to level it up^_^
"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

The Blizzcon Class Discussion:
Crowd: "Our qq's will blot out the sun"
Warlocks: "Then we will pewpew in the shade"
Quote:The others were raising dead, unholy aura (move speed + health regen, IIRC), and killing your units for health.

The last could be a fun move. Tank gets low on health. Suddenly three rogues fall over dead and the tank is back up at full health.

Rogues: "WTF?"

Tank: "sry guys low on life lol"

Anyway, it appears from the liveblog:

Quote:1:37pm: Rune resource system (for death knights). Three rune schools: Blood runes, frost, and unholy runes. All DK spells and abilities will use these different runes in some combo. DKs carve these runes into their weapon-- done anytime outside of combat.

You get up to 6 runes, you can choose which runes you use. The runes deactivate when used and reactivate over time. Kind of nifty. It's closest to energy, IMO, in how it will work.
Quote:The last could be a fun move. Tank gets low on health. Suddenly three rogues fall over dead and the tank is back up at full health.

Rogues: "WTF?"

Now that made me laugh :D
Moors ~ Blood Knight, Terenas
Sinomin ~ Rogue, Terenas

I stab!
Quote:Maybe true, but hopefully this version won't make you want to punch yourself in the mouth trying to level it up^_^

My Warrior felt fun to 60 and was one of my faster characters to reach that. Never played him outside HFP in outlands though.

*grins* at the dead rogues.

Quote:My Warrior felt fun to 60 and was one of my faster characters to reach that. Never played him outside HFP in outlands though.

*grins* at the dead rogues.

Wasn't talking about Warriors (which was my first 60 as well). Instead I was talking about that bane of sanity, the Pally;)
"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

The Blizzcon Class Discussion:
Crowd: "Our qq's will blot out the sun"
Warlocks: "Then we will pewpew in the shade"
Quote:Wasn't talking about Warriors (which was my first 60 as well). Instead I was talking about that bane of sanity, the Pally;)

Ah, got you. In which case, /signed.:)
Quote:Rogues: "WTF?"

Swirly:

I have seen the future.

It is murder.

-Jester
I was just wondering if we could sacrifice Swirly for this. it could be like a pre-fight good luck ritual.
Currently a PoE junkie. Wheeeeee