Quick question.
Is there any way to play Hellfire in windowed mode?
There is no easy way to do it, no. You would have to hack a change to the mode Diablo (or Hellfire in this case) runs DirectX in. Either that, or emulate the whole Windows/Mac environment in a window.
I recognize that it's generally bad form to dredge up old-and-passed-by threads, but I felt that this was an exception to the...erm...generality.

Quote:There is no easy way to do it, no. You would have to hack a change to the mode Diablo (or Hellfire in this case) runs DirectX in. Either that, or emulate the whole Windows/Mac environment in a window.

With widescreen LCD monitors firmly planted (or hung) in front of keyboards, what are players' solutions? Do folks hang on to a CRT monitor for old gaming purposes?

Did someone develop an easier hack to DirectX? Is there a Windows emulator that runs on a Windows machine?

I've tried everything I can think of to get DI to display correctly on my monitor, but I'm forever missing pixels in all directions.

Any thoughts, other than "play WOW"? ;)

Best regards,
I looked around google for that because I am curious also. The only thing I found that looks semi promising is this http://www.tommti-systems.de/start.html. The 3d Analyzer. I have never used it or heard of it but if you are desperate it might work.
Quote:I recognize that it's generally bad form to dredge up old-and-passed-by threads, but I felt that this was an exception to the...erm...generality.
With widescreen LCD monitors firmly planted (or hung) in front of keyboards, what are players' solutions? Do folks hang on to a CRT monitor for old gaming purposes?

Did someone develop an easier hack to DirectX? Is there a Windows emulator that runs on a Windows machine?

I've tried everything I can think of to get DI to display correctly on my monitor, but I'm forever missing pixels in all directions.

Any thoughts, other than "play WOW"? ;)

Best regards,

Get a video card that isn't junk? The significant difference between LCD and CRT is that LCD monitors have a native resolution, and the video card is responsible for displaying the image appropriately when the system resolution doesn't match the monitor's. In those cases, my card has options to stretch to fit the screen, stretch to fit (and maintain aspect ratio), or not to stretch at all. If you keep the aspect ratio, there will be blank strips down either side of the screen since D1 doesn't run in a widescreen ratio.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
Well drat. My monitor offers 'fill' and 'standard' options but my vid card does not. Junk I guess it is.

Thanks for your input, Langolier.

Best regards,
You may be interested in DxWnd, a program by Skywing[vL] that can run DirectX applications in a non-fullscreen window.