battle.net User Name Issue
Hrmm, phrmpf.

Has battle.net recently changed their character naming policy?? Arrgh.

I just tried to create an account for .Barnaby[WM] and was told that "Your user name contained one or more illegal characters" - I created a dummy char to do some testing and it seems that the problem is with the leading ".".

The first battle.net character I created - in '96 - was .Rena; I thought it was clever to combine their "battle" with my "rena" to create a battle arena (or battle 'rena). Consequently, every D1 char since has had a leading dot, as recently as within the last two years.

I read through the ToS for account creation, and visited www.battle.net, but no references to what characters are invalid. Ugh.

Back to DCC for me, I guess.

The allowed MP characters besides abc, 123 etc. (quoted from JG):

!@$(){}[]=+`~^-’.:;_|

Version 1.62. So there shouldn't be a problem - normally. Maybe it's just that the . at the beginning of the name has been declared to be illegal... for whatever reason. *goes testing*

[edit] Well... ".test" wasn't accepted - "t.est" was. Weird. [/edit]
Array
Let me elaborate on what Sheep said... it's called humour.[/quote]
Quote:The allowed MP characters besides abc, 123 etc. (quoted from JG):

On the other hand, I stoped updating the battle.net info parts of the Guide starting with earlier versions so any such information might be completely out of date, even at the time the Guide was released.

There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
E-mail to Blizzard Support:
Quote:Hello!

It seems that Blizzard has changed the policy regarding username characters. Since 1996 (maybe '97) I have created D1 characters with leading "."s (.Rena being the first, .Bailey[NM] being the most recent). As of this past weekend I was unable to create an account for my youngest character, .Barnaby[WM] as I used "one or more illegal characters in the username." I've posted on the Lurker Lounge about this, but wanted to ask that you reconsider this policy. Any character without a leading . is...well, just any other character.

If you know of a work-around for this I'd be most grateful.

Have a pleasant day,
.plaid

kend.support@blizzard.com's reply:
Quote:Hello,

Thank you for contacting Technical Support. Some characters that were previously allowed are no longer available for use in creating accounts. New Battle.net account names are now restricted to just letters (A through Z), numbers (0 through 9) and the symbols - _ . ( ) [ ].

We are reserving other symbols for exclusive use by Battle.net. In addition names cannot start with a punctuation mark (- _ . ( ) [ ]), nor can names have adjacent punctuation marks.

If you have any Technical Issues, feel free to give me an e-mail.

Best Regards,

Kenneth
Blizzard Entertainment
Technical Support
http://www.blizzard.com/support

Nuts. I guess it's dotBarnaby[WM] then...the whole interweb devolved a little today.
Quote:E-mail to Blizzard Support:
kend.support@blizzard.com's reply:
Nuts. I guess it's dotBarnaby[WM] then...the whole interweb devolved a little today.

This change is not particularly recent. It was made because people were creating names that used special characters excessively, such as ]{i||er|}]{ (loosely, KillerDK). Responding to such names, and in particular trying to kick/ban such names, was a nuisance.
Funny, the reply doesn't actually address why leading dot's are invalid, seeing as how the tech listed the dot as being a valid character. It reminds me of the time that I called customer service at 7 pm at night and (after several rings) got a prerecorded message saying that business hours were from 9 am to 9 pm, and that I should call during normal operating hours to speak to a representative...

Um, what?
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
Quote:Funny, the reply doesn't actually address why leading dot's are invalid, seeing as how the tech listed the dot as being a valid character.

Actually if you read the whole thing, it does state that you may not use leading or adjacent punctuation. It is probably a canned copy & paste response, but it does address the issue in so far as the issue will ever be addressed.