Rights Violation or a Complete Jerk?
Quote:That's what she said, if "the earth moved for me" and "world shaker" are close enough to be the same. :lol:

Occhi
Yeah, I've been that sick before - that dizziness can make it feel like the earth moved! Don't worry, I'm sure you have other attractive qualities.;)
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Quote:Yeah, I've been that sick before - that dizziness can make it feel like the earth moved! Don't worry, I'm sure you have other attractive qualities.;)
Well, between Tums™ and Pepto Bismol, most of the dangerous vibrations are mitigated. After that, it's more like an organ recital. :lol:

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
I know I don't post very much, and not reading the blog means I have even less of a view on his situation, but here's how the situation is here.

1. Most stores have everything tagged, and tag-checking gates.
2. Before you leave, they run the object over a demagnetiser(or whatever), so that it wont trigger the alarm(computer stuff is usually separately held in another part of the store, so you bring the box and receipt there to claim it).
3. Sometimes, the demagnetiser messes up, and fails to clear the item.
4. A security guy, or one of the counter staff will usually then run over to the beeping gate, bring the offending item back to the counter, and attempt to demagnetise it again.
5. I've never seen it fail to demagnetise a second time.:P

Usually, if you're a legitimate customer, they'll just give you that "I'm so sorry the machine is being a dillweed today." look.

I do hate how it raises the overhead(and thus prices) in the store though.:(
Quote:I know I don't post very much, and not reading the blog means I have even less of a view on his situation, but here's how the situation is here.

2. Before you leave, they run the object over a demagnetiser(or whatever), so that it wont trigger the alarm(computer stuff is usually separately held in another part of the store, so you bring the box and receipt there to claim it).
4. A security guy, or one of the counter staff will usually then run over to the beeping gate, bring the offending item back to the counter, and attempt to demagnetise it again.
5. I've never seen it fail to demagnetise a second time. :P

Usually, if you're a legitimate customer, they'll just give you that "I'm so sorry the machine is being a dillweed today." look.

I do hate how it raises the overhead(and thus prices) in the store though. :(

Sounds the same as here. I used to make computer equipment for a living but since the company of which I was president went under, I am now working in a local library. We have materials tagged and use tag-checking gates. I am not sure they are effective. We allow patrons to desensitize their own materials and they don't always do it properly. Often the alarm is set off by people coming in with books from other libraries, or by staff who never remember to check out their own materials. The machines are sort of like car alarms, to which no one pays attention. And if someone did try to steal a DVD, the library has no security and the town has no police force.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Quote:I know I don't post very much, and not reading the blog means I have even less of a view on his situation, but here's how the situation is here.

5. I've never seen it fail to demagnetise a second time.:P

I do hate how it raises the overhead(and thus prices) in the store though.:(

What you described used to be the case almost everywhere. The security person standing by the alarms was there to respond to still magnetized items - both to help the honest customer, and dissuade would be thieves from running through the gate.

But the problem here is that some stores have taken an extra step. Rather than checking *only when the alarm goes off*, some stores check receipts *every* time. So even before you go through the gate, the security person will ask you for your receipt and look through your bag.

This kind of practice is what the man in the article took offense to.

Hope that helps clarify AtomicKitKat, as always its good to see you delurk every once in a while:)

Cheers,

Munk