WoW Account sold for $9,500 US
WoWInsider has the info. You should read the article, because there's an added twist to this escapade that will make you laugh.

A Rogue from <Method>, who possessed both of Illidan's Twin Blades of Azzinoth, sold his account for 7,000 EU (about $9,500 US). He re-rolled another Rogue and is playing in <Method> even still - I don't think anyone can fault a player for taking advantage of someone willing to pay THAT much cash for an account.

Items don't mean squat. A year from now, those twin blades will be as pointless as Atiesh is today, and this Rogue from <Method> will still be killing uberbosses with his buddies.

Wild stuff. Again, read the article to find out what happened to the buyer...

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
What an idiot. The buyer, not the seller.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
WTS 70 Druid $5000 USD. This month only you get four level 60's free! Bargain!

(The scary thing is that actually would be a bargain in terms of dollars per hour - I had a lot of /played...)

If you have that much money, you can afford to be stupid. That or you're going to be broke soon...
Currently a PoE junkie. Wheeeeee
Wow, I can't believe that out of game, someone would risk $10,000 buying an account like that (especially when the original account owner can always use their secret question, which cannot be changed, to reclaim the account).

And I also can't believe that in game, some guild was okay with one of the best geared rogues in the world just ditching all the guild's work that went into those twin blades and accessories. Although I guess if you can farm Illidan, what's one tier-6 geared rogue.:)
10k divided by 30 is 300$ per person for the raid group - I hope he's not keeping it all himself. I'd /gkick for sure if he is... he sure as heck didn't earn the swords himself, he shouldn't get all the rewards himself.

A high profile case like this I wouldn't be surprised to see Bliz ban the account.
Account was banned within 5 days.
See you in Town,
-Z
Quote:Account was banned within 5 days.

Shouldn't they technically ban the seller (who is playing under a new account) as well as the buyer?
Quote:Shouldn't they technically ban the seller (who is playing under a new account) as well as the buyer?

For what? Good measure? He'd just make a new account, roll another character, and be off to the races in another month.

-Jester
Quote:Shouldn't they technically ban the seller (who is playing under a new account) as well as the buyer?

Technically? They can't take any action against the person. All they can do is punish the account. Since he's no longer in possession of the account, I don't see how they could touch him.
See you in Town,
-Z
I'm missing the confirmation of the deal (eBay URL etc).
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
Quote:I'm missing the confirmation of the deal (eBay URL etc).

Generally speaking, you wouldn't want to use eBay for a transaction like that. It's too easily found, and I think eBay is cooperating with Blizzard by removing auctions for accounts and reporting the sellers to Blizzard, or something of that nature.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Quote:Generally speaking, you wouldn't want to use eBay for a transaction like that. It's too easily found, and I think eBay is cooperating with Blizzard by removing auctions for accounts and reporting the sellers to Blizzard, or something of that nature.
But where is the proof of that alleged $9,500 deal?;)
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
If you follow the link to the "brand new rogue" given in the article and look up that character's reputation, it starts to seem odd. I know that many of the top guilds do old world raid content for fun, but Brood of Nozdormu and Zandalar Tribe revered in a matter of weeks? And Argent Dawn revered requires a good deal of farming, which you don't do if you want to get to the new content asap. Also, the reputation for the Alliance factions does not fit with the increased reputation from quests since 2.0.

I get the feeling that we are looking at a pre-BC character that got pulled out of retirement.

Anyway, strange story with even stranger protagonists.
"Ignoring is also a kind of understanding." - Christian Mai
The "brand new" rogue also hasn't been online since September 4th.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
Quote:I get the feeling that we are looking at a pre-BC character that got pulled out of retirement.
You're probably right -> evidence (thanks to warcraftrealms.com)

Quote:Anyway, strange story with even stranger protagonists.

You can say that aloud.
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm!