Anybody else watch "The War" on PBS?
I'm not exactly sure whether I do or don't like it
Quote:I'm not exactly sure whether I do or don't like it

Hi, Tris:

I watched and intend to continue, as I'm sure you will. My reaction was the same. I think that for an opening salvo, last night's episode was sort of blah. (Well as blah as a film with decpitated body can be. First one I ever saw - and ever aspire to see. One is enough!)

The U.S. entry into WWII was so sudden. Do you think the episode last night suffered from a lack of lead-up? Ken Burns had to just jump in and take us with him.

Guadalcanal ... man ... what a lesson! While I was not as engaged by last night's episode as I expected to be, I learned that I know NOTHING about the war in the Pacific. That alone will keep me coming back. I found it highly informative, but then I haven't your background in WWII history, being an Ancient Civs. girl myself.

There have been so many good documentaries on WWII, I'm interested to see how this will pan out. Ken Burns has an angle with the 4 towns, and I'm interested to see how he will develop that.

Critics, who have seen the whole film, are raving, so we should just hang in, I think. I have a lot of faith in Ken Burns, even though the start of this series was not riveting. (Well the decapitated body was.)

Let me know what you thought.
[Image: Sabra%20gold%20copy.jpg]

I blame Tal.

Sabramage Authenticated!
I thought it was excellent. I suppose it was a bit slow but I thought all the personal bits were interesting. Both my roommate and I kept saying "What? I didn't even know that happened!" and we are both knowledgeable (or so we thought) about military history. I learned a lot and will continue watching.
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune
I am watching it and think it is terrific. I particularly like the way it is told from the perspective of the privates and I suspect we will hear very little from the generals. I am pleased Burns was able to find articulate people who were able to remember and relate their experiences. Unlike the Civil War, American soldiers were not permitted to keep journals or diaries so all we have are their recollections.

I read a couple reviews on it that said it was informative, but boring. I don't know if I'll see it or not; I'm more into The Universe on the History Channel, although PBS did have a great series awhile back... darn, can't remember anything about it right now - forget it.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin