I Am Legend

Just saw this latest version with Will Smith, and it's not a bad popcorn movie. Before I ramble any further let's be clear about that. I'm more in the camp that most movies should be judged in their context and genre, and this one is a popcorn film (with very small bits of gourmet butter). And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

There are 2 very good things in this movie to me, and although Smith did not do a bad performance at all , he's not the main reason for it.

The 2 big stars in this movie for me and I'm serious, is the dog and the scenery.

There's a scene in the beginning where Neville is in what looks like Times Square with various movie billboards, and it's got something that looks like either a Batman vs Superman or Batman & Superman movie. It's just the batman logo with a smaller superman logo in the center, but it's just a nice little touch for a comic geek like me.

Unfortunately I agree with most of the review I read in regards to the 3rd act part of the flick. In the last 30 minutes or so of the film it switches into an almost generic actioner.

It tries to deal with the idea of faith, the crisis of it and other weighty things, but the execution of it is kind of clumsy. The actual idea and concept of it is not bad, but the movie is probably not going to be endlessly debated by film geeks and sci-fi heads like say, Blade Runner.

Another snag for me is Will Smith seems to be blessed by a perpetually youthful look, but in this context it's more of a hindrance. Despite some of the more excessive 70's cheese of Omega Man, Chuck Heston to me seemed more believable appearance wise because of his age at the time.

Smith's performance is again, not actually bad in my opinion, but there's always that only slightly creased face of his, I just can't easily buy that he's a top ranking military officer AND a high level scientist when he looks like a man of at most, late 20's to mid 30's. Even with the hint of greys in his stubble. It's not impossible of course, it's just a more difficult sell for me. Again, this is not something in Smith's control obviously, since his actual performance is believable enough for me.

But enough of that, there's only so much anyone can gripe about 'missed opportunities' before it sounds like they went into the wrong theatre.

Here's where I think the flick got it absolutely right.

- The dog. Did I mention the dog? The dog is great. The canine can probably teach acting lessons to some two legged actors.

- The Manhattan scenes, post humans. I'm not agoraphobic, but some of the scenes did give me a chill.

- The scenes where the mutants are shown only in glimpses in the darkened building\nest. Especially the 'huddle' shot where Neville was in the dark building.

- The vampiric mutants, while it could've been handled better in the 3rd act, the actual idea is pretty good and scary. They are 'dumb' and vicious enough to be at best, humanoid but not human. Neville mentions them being devolved of almost any human behaviour. But a good case can be made that the mutants does display signs of intelligence and a hierarchy group. And Neville wasn't working in the best type of condition to begin with anyway.

All in all, 3 'Aw hell naaaw!'s out of 5 'I've got to get me one of these!'
Quote: All in all, 3 'Aw hell naaaw!'s out of 5 'I've got to get me one of these!'

I saw it last night as well. Your review is spot on, Hammerskjold.

To echo a lot of your own comments: the best parts of the movie involved Will Smith and the German Shepard Sam; the entire huddle scene had my heart racing; the third act was a huge let down.

The psychological damage was portrayed well by Will Smith - those video store scenes mixed a good amount of humor and pity/empathy.

As for the last third of the movie, I won't even comment - the vast majority of my negative remarks about the film are about the end of the film.

All in all, I agree with a 3 out of 5 stars. Great potential, good movie, disappointing end (though not movie ruining).

Cheers,

Munk
So can you confirm this?
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Quote:So can you confirm this?

Hehe, well to the best of my recollection, he never said it. Speaking of Apple though, apparently Neville loves his Apple gear. His mental condition might have seen better days, but hardware wise, the last man on earth is set. DVDs on flat screen, underground lab with sleek looking Apple computers. Those who likes the original novel version will probably be upset and say this version completely misses the point of Neville's living condition.

They have a good point. But I'd counterpoint that 'I've got to get me one of these!'

http://ph.answers.yahoo.com/question/index...15185759AAzeWPf

*If it was me, I'd probably won't go for an Ipod if I was the last man on earth. I'd scour hauntingly empty stores and houses for a player that has a more open system philosophy. Even I still have to have some sort of personal standards in a post apocalyptic world filled with mutant vampires. It's what separates me from the monsters!
While I thought the movie was entertaining on the whole, there were several parts that really caused my suspension of disbelief to falter and took me out of the movie. Just going to go sort of stream of consciousness here...

Hunting deer with an automatic weapon from a Mustang GT was just silly. No way New York is overgrown to that extent after only 3 years. How did Anna get her custom SUV onto the island if the military took all the bridges out? For that matter, how did the deer get on the island with the bridges out? What the hell are lions doing in North America? How are the lions surviving in the city if there's such a huge number of vampires, who apparently have no qualms about biting animals since they infected those dogs, running around at night? If Anna survived for 3 years on her own with vampires running around how does she not know to stay away from the house until the sun rises? The butterfly/God/faith thing at the end was pretty clumsy, although I didn't dislike the ending as much as it seems most people on the internet did.

Anyhoo, good popcorn movie. I may see it one more time when it comes out on DVD.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Quote:For that matter, how did the deer get on the island with the bridges out?

Deer do swim, quite well infact.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Quote:While I thought the movie was entertaining on the whole, there were several parts that really caused my suspension of disbelief to falter and took me out of the movie. Just going to go sort of stream of consciousness here...

Agreed.

Quote:Hunting deer with an automatic weapon from a Mustang GT was just silly. No way New York is overgrown to that extent after only 3 years. How did Anna get her custom SUV onto the island if the military took all the bridges out? For that matter, how did the deer get on the island with the bridges out? What the hell are lions doing in North America?

New York Zoo?

Quote:How are the lions surviving in the city if there's such a huge number of vampires, who apparently have no qualms about biting animals since they infected those dogs, running around at night? If Anna survived for 3 years on her own with vampires running around how does she not know to stay away from the house until the sun rises? The butterfly/God/faith thing at the end was pretty clumsy, although I didn't dislike the ending as much as it seems most people on the internet did.

Anyhoo, good popcorn movie. I may see it one more time when it comes out on DVD.

Agreed.

I enjoyed it, but thats because I like to jump. At one point, I actually did hit myself in the face with my hand from jumping at a surprising-scare point in the movie.
Oops. Double Post.
The movie deserves a plus for not being asinine, which every movie out there seems to be at the moment.

I'm not going to discuss the elements already mentioned, but what I *did* enjoy, was the small bits and pieces of psychology in Will Smith's character. Obviously, being a scientist and a top military guy, he's presented as an intelligent individual. The fact that he recognises and pre-empts the various stages of psychological isolation by infusing non-human life with human qualities (the dog, the mannequins), and thus makes his everyday life a bit easier to cope with, was laudible. Starving off impending insanity from being isolated and alone, by conversing with the dummies and the dog, and thus attributing them human characterstics, was a nice touch in my opinion.

Of course, it's open to debate whether he went a little mad *before* or *after* he started talking to the dummies...
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Quote:Angel' date='Dec 27 2007, 09:52 AM' post='141990']
The movie deserves a plus for not being asinine, which every movie out there seems to be at the moment.

I'm not going to discuss the elements already mentioned, but what I *did* enjoy, was the small bits and pieces of psychology in Will Smith's character. Obviously, being a scientist and a top military guy, he's presented as an intelligent individual. The fact that he recognises and pre-empts the various stages of psychological isolation by infusing non-human life with human qualities (the dog, the mannequins), and thus makes his everyday life a bit easier to cope with, was laudible. Starving off impending insanity from being isolated and alone, by conversing with the dummies and the dog, and thus attributing them human characterstics, was a nice touch in my opinion.

Of course, it's open to debate whether he went a little mad *before* or *after* he started talking to the dummies...

My favorite part of the movie was just Will Smith wandering around the city and seeing his daily routine.

On a side note, bring on the dystopian future. After seeing Mad Max, I Am Legend, Waterworld, etc. I feel I am ready to pwn.:shuriken:
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London