Crusader's new toy
Ahhh, after 4 years of grueling Orgrimmar/Ironforge/Shattrath lag, it has come. At last, I shall be able to play games that eluded me for so long, taunting me from the dark, unplayable on the p.o.c. pc I was enchained to. At last. My new life begins. And before Chistmas, too!

Lediez and gentlemen, I priesent too yoo...

ZHIE ANNIHALATOR!

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.00 GHZ (1333MHz, 4MBS775, Box)
Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT
2x DIMM PC667 DDR2 2048 MB RAM
2x Philips 19" 190SFS Silver LCD 4:3 (yes, dual monitor goodiness!)
And all that comes with it to complete the experience.

Ahhh.. the tear I pink away when I shove all of WoW's graphic settings to max and still get a 75 FPS (the max) when running through the most crowded area of Shattrath). The beauty I had to miss that is Oblivion... And so much more I never even considered, unconciously knowing my pc would crap itself if I even held the game's box near it....

I... am free!

Now only if The Christmas holiday would start. Darn work.

This shameless showoff was brought to you by Holy Light inc®
Former www.diablo2.com webmaster.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
Big congratulations. I remember running on my first laptop where I had to turn off sound to play at all for some raids. I also remember being told that my play had really improved (if going from crap to passable counts) using the new machine. It's kind of like in golf, where people are often said to have bought a better game, the equipment really dooes have an impact. Suddenly you can do things you never could pull off before. Have big time fun!
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Quote:2x Philips 19" 190SFS Silver LCD 4:3 (yes, dual monitor goodiness!)

Why did you get 4:3 monitors instead of widescreens? :blink:

Anyhow, grats with your new phat lewt and PICS PLZ!
Congrats!

If you want to put your machine to the test, pick up Crysis.:)It will probably be one of the very few games out there that will not run on maximum settings. (Yes, this is a dare!)

Happy Festivus!
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Quote:Why did you get 4:3 monitors instead of widescreens? :blink:

Anyhow, grats with your new phat lewt and PICS PLZ!

I got 4:3's because when you put two next to one another it's wide enough. Besides, if I watch video, I hate that black bar in fullscreen.

I'll see what I can do in the picture department once I get home. I'd have to clean the desk first. :rolleyes:

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Quote:Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.00 GHZ (1333MHz, 4MBS775, Box)
Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT
2x DIMM PC667 DDR2 2048 MB RAM
2x Philips 19" 190SFS Silver LCD 4:3 (yes, dual monitor goodiness!)
And all that comes with it to complete the experience.

That setup brings a tear to my eye. Congrats Crusader. Enjoy the 75fps for all those souls who do without:)

Cheers,

Munk
/drool

Big gratz from the 1.6GHz G5 playah. 3fps is me.

/greenwithenvy

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
Here it is!

[Image: P1000296_2.jpg]

(Yes, that's Warhammer; Mark of Chaos and WoW (Orgrimmar) running at the same time.)

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Quote:Here it is!

I have that same Logitech keyboard.
Quote:Angel' date='Dec 20 2007, 07:41 AM' post='141839']
Congrats!

If you want to put your machine to the test, pick up Crysis.:)It will probably be one of the very few games out there that will not run on maximum settings. (Yes, this is a dare!)

Happy Festivus!

I'll download the Crysis demo when I get home and will see if I can get the FPS to show.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Well I got around to getting the entire game.

And to go for the maximum killing effect: I ran it at 1280x1024, 8x anti-aliasing, (sick!) all settings to high. Normal applications (firewall, virusshield, etc) are running in the background so this isn't one of those maximum fps tests where they try to squeeze every 0.1 fps out of it. This is how it runs on my computer in normal conditions.

Screenshot 1 is in a tunnel, at the beginning of the tank level. This is about as light as graphics get in Crysis. A nice, comfy, 48.5 fps is the result.
[Image: crysis1.jpg]

Image 2 shows an exploding tank. Lots of particles flying, the trees and bushes next to it responding to the shockwave, and lots of lighting effects. In other words, about as bad as it gets. 21.8 fps. Not bad, A bit slower then the refresh rate of the average movie (24 fps). I don't mind the difference, but some people have sensitive enough eyes to monitor this second or so of framerate drop.
[Image: crysis2.jpg]

And the last image, an exploding base from an airstrike in the distance. Multiple explosions, buildings getting torn apart, lots and lots of particles, and the rest of the scenery to boot. Surprisingly better then image 2, at 25.5 fps.
[Image: crysis3.jpg]

In other words, great performance all around.

And if you have the pc and like shooters, get crysis. It's a joyful experience just for the maddening graphics that get thrown at you. Never have I seen such a realistic set of graphics. Especially when you get to the 'second half'of the game your jaw really drops, but I intentionally made no screenshots of this to avoid spoiling the story.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
That does look purty. Suddenly I am reminded that I have yet to play through FarCry. If I am lucky I can get 25 FPS on that one.;)

I see these are max settings for DX9. Are you still using Windows XP then? 8xAA is overkill to me unless your graphics card is getting bored at lower settings.

Random digressive thought: How did we end up with 1280x1024 instead of a 1280x960 as a standard resolution? I can never figure that one out.
Quote:That does look purty. Suddenly I am reminded that I have yet to play through FarCry. If I am lucky I can get 25 FPS on that one.;)

I see these are max settings for DX9. Are you still using Windows XP then? 8xAA is overkill to me unless your graphics card is getting bored at lower settings.

Random digressive thought: How did we end up with 1280x1024 instead of a 1280x960 as a standard resolution? I can never figure that one out.

Of course I'm running Windows XP. Vista is bad for gamers. DX10 is a marketing stunt that in reality barely boosts performance, and said performance boost is outdone by the massive resource demand of Vista.

hmmm... 1280x1024 does seem a bit odd, because I have 4:3 monitors. Maybe I mistyped that. At work now, will check when I get home.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Quote:hmmm... 1280x1024 does seem a bit odd, because I have 4:3 monitors. Maybe I mistyped that. At work now, will check when I get home.

1280x1024 is indeed the correct native resolution for your monitors, meaning they are 5:4 and not 4:3. That's common for LCD monitors though - in fact LCD widescreen monitors are generally 16:10 (1440x900, 1680x1050, etc) and not 16:9 like you would think when you hear "widescreen".

Fun fact: searching Google for "Philips 19" 190SFS" returns this thread as the first result:)
Quote:1280x1024 is indeed the correct native resolution for your monitors, meaning they are 5:4 and not 4:3. That's common for LCD monitors though - in fact LCD widescreen monitors are generally 16:10 (1440x900, 1680x1050, etc) and not 16:9 like you would think when you hear "widescreen".

I got one of those 16:10 LCDs quite recently, but it was my 19" CRT that I was thinking about as I pondered this. Although there is no native resolution as such, it supposedly had an optimal resolution of 1280x1024. Meanwhile the max resolution was of course 1600x1200, and 4:3 was obviously standard for all the 2D games. Just one of those things that makes you wonder... what crack were they smoking? Not a big deal though.

... Too bad I don't have a digital camera to post pics of my current computer desk layout. It is a comedy of errors. The back of the desk is empty. In the middle of the desk is a 24" monitor. A little headphone amp is tucked under the right corner of monitor. Closely seated on either side of monitor are RP6 nearfield monitors, sitting on angled stacks of old textbooks, hanging over the sides of the desk quite a bit. A 61 key MIDI controller is in front of the speakers and monitor, with the front third of it hanging over the front of the desk onto the top rear of the 81 key digital piano in front of the desk. The front of the MIDI controller is supported by a couple 2 liter bottle caps under it's feet, sitting on the built in speakers of the DP. Behind the DP under the desk somewhere is buried an old metal full tower with an aging computer and a bunch of whirring fans. In front of the DP is my chair, and to the right of my chair are the two cardboard boxes that the nearfields came in, stacked to desk height, with the mouse pad on top. The computer keyboard... sits on the DP keyboard, supported by a plastic music stand. For piano playing, the mouse and keyboard have to be set aside. Hopefully I don't need to get stuff from the desk drawer very often.