Question(s) about SP and/or solo play
I didn't know if the Armory or the uh, other strategy forum were appropriate places for these questions, so I thought I'd just ask them here.

I have sometimes had my notebook and my LOD disk and not had net access, so I've started a couple SP characters.

First question -- In Classic D, you could pick, say, LAN Multiplayer character and you'd have a character that could possibly someday interact with the outer world. I didn't find a way to do that with D2.

So the characters I've created (only 2) so far are "Single Player" characters.

Second question -- Is there any way for items found by a Single Player to be given to other characters?? I'm a big packrat when it comes to items and my characters typically share items by default... so frequently I'll find an item that, for example, "would be great for a one-eyed reverse necromancer" but was found by a barefisted barbarian. (1st class is fictional, 2nd is not) I hate to toss this stuff, but AFAIK I can't xfer them, so they'll have to go, right??

-V

>First question -- In Classic D, you could pick, say, LAN Multiplayer character and you'd have a character that could possibly someday interact with the outer world. I didn't find a way to do that with D2.

>So the characters I've created (only 2) so far are "Single Player" characters.

To the best of my recollection, D2 SP chars can only interact with B.Net Open, or LAN or TCP\IP.

>Second question -- Is there any way for items found by a Single Player to be given to other characters?? I'm a big packrat when it comes to items and my characters typically share items by default... so frequently I'll find an item that, for example, "would be great for a one-eyed reverse necromancer" but was found by a barefisted barbarian. (1st class is fictional, 2nd is not) I hate to toss this stuff, but AFAIK I can't xfer them, so they'll have to go, right??

Again IIRC, you can transfer if you're doing multi like the above. There are item transfering programs I believe. I've never used it, but I do remember something called ATMA that seems to be popular with some SP\Solo folks.
Quote:I didn't know if the Armory or the uh, other strategy forum were appropriate places for these questions, so I thought I'd just ask them here.

I have sometimes had my notebook and my LOD disk and not had net access, so I've started a couple SP characters.

First question -- In Classic D, you could pick, say, LAN Multiplayer character and you'd have a character that could possibly someday interact with the outer world. I didn't find a way to do that with D2.

So the characters I've created (only 2) so far are "Single Player" characters.

Second question -- Is there any way for items found by a Single Player to be given to other characters?? I'm a big packrat when it comes to items and my characters typically share items by default... so frequently I'll find an item that, for example, "would be great for a one-eyed reverse necromancer" but was found by a barefisted barbarian. (1st class is fictional, 2nd is not) I hate to toss this stuff, but AFAIK I can't xfer them, so they'll have to go, right??

-V

I was in a similar situation for a while. I found PlugY to do the trick (you can find it or ATMA at the Phrozen Keep).

PlugY adds a 'shared' stash that any character can access in game. But be aware, by default PlugY adds other features like ladder-only rune words and allows you to redistribute skill/attribute points. The latest version allows you to disable these 'extra' features if they are not to your liking. PlugY remains separate as well, creating a separate executable Diablo.exe. This allows you to run D2 without uninstalling or losing/deleting your PlugY stash. All in all, the seamless integration and the shared stash make it worth you time to check out.

Cheers,

Munk
Single Player characters can play in any of the following games: Single Player, TCP/IP multiplayer, and Open Battle.net. So they can interact with anyone else's single player characters (including your own on a second computer), but can't interact with any characters on the closed Battle.net Realms.

Quote:Second question -- Is there any way for items found by a Single Player to be given to other characters??

Not with a single instance of D2 alone. There are two ways to transfer items between single player characters. One is to run a second copy of D2 on a second computer and join both characters into a TCP/IP network (you do not need a second cd key to do this.) The other is to use an external utility program. ATMA is the most commonly used program; it's hosted at http://atma.diabloii.net/ .
Vandiablo,
Open and network games use characters from single player; there is no differentiation between them. There's basically only two types of characters, "closed characters" for the realms and "open characters" for everywhere else.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Okay, I didn't realize that SP could just go on open b.net

Thanks to those of you helping me there.

Now for the follow-up question, since I've already made a thread. Because I've never played, til now, SP or open bnet since Classic Diablo, I don't know this very simple question:

Is there a limit for number of characters for D2X/LOD open/SP??

I remember in CD/D1 you could only have 10 chars at a time, and to have more chars you had to move files around...

TIA

-V
>Is there a limit for number of characters for D2X/LOD open/SP??

>I remember in CD/D1 you could only have 10 chars at a time, and to have more chars you had to move files around...

To the best of my knowledge, no limit for Open chars. I wouldn't be surprised if there is an actual limit (though I kind of doubt it) of 99 or 256, or 16500 or if you run out of hard drive space or something like that, but I know for sure I had more than 10 chars in my SP stable at one time.

edited: I just double checked, I have approximately 72 D2X SP chars at the moment. I did have more at one point, but I don't remember if I did break double digits or not. I'm fairly sure others can fill in on that area of knowledge.
Thank you.

and thanks again to all repliers.

-V
Quote:Thank you.

and thanks again to all repliers.

-V

I also mainly play SP and use ATMA for transferring items.

I also have a question.

I have never played o battlenet for more than one minut. I'm a kind of freek who does not like to play with people I don't know....especially after all the warnings about playerkills and itemsteals and all kinds of things I don't understand.:)

So is there still some server where many people from the lurkerlounge are playing? Just for some nice gaming without bots, dupes and hostile playing? And if so how can I find these and log on?
I mean it would be nice in my almost 7 years of playing D2 to only once see and beat this uberdiablo.

Eppie

>So is there still some server where many people from the lurkerlounge are playing? Just for some nice gaming without bots, dupes and hostile playing? And if so how can I find these and log on?
I mean it would be nice in my almost 7 years of playing D2 to only once see and beat this uberdiablo.

I might be wrong here, and I'd be happy if I was in this case. But you might have better luck if you go to the Amazon Basin for this. If you don't know the link already,

http://www.theamazonbasin.com/d2/

IIRC, some basiners are also lurkers, and vice versa etc.
Quote:>So is there still some server where many people from the lurkerlounge are playing? Just for some nice gaming without bots, dupes and hostile playing? And if so how can I find these and log on?
I might be wrong here, and I'd be happy if I was in this case. But you might have better luck if you go to the Amazon Basin for this. If you don't know the link already,

http://www.theamazonbasin.com/d2/

IIRC, some basiners are also lurkers, and vice versa etc.

FYI, there are only a select few basiners that play Ladder HC on USWest, and never at the times I do:(, but that should not matter for you since you play open and most likely softcore.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:FYI, there are only a select few basiners that play Ladder HC on USWest, and never at the times I do:(, but that should not matter for you since you play open and most likely softcore.

That's kind of a downer about the schedule then. Just to clarify however, when I do play online it's usually on Realms, and rarely on Open. Usually on USWEST. Though given my erratic schedule and frankly a bit of D2 fatigue in general, I rarely go online nowadays. As for SC\HC, I've played and enjoyed both.

But in my heart of hearts, I'm still more of a D1\Hellfire (Fixed) guy.
duplicate glitch post.
Quote:But in my heart of hearts, I'm still more of a D1\Hellfire (Fixed) guy.

That's funny, because by far my most favorite mod of all time was V&K's, even more than The Dark. I'm not sure what it is about their mod that was so fun, but it still holds fond memories for me.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin