Gambling minimum level?
Is there a minimum level for gambling uniques?

I'm playing open lately with my wife, and her amazon is getting killed without enough leech. She tries gambling Hand of Broc every time she sees leather gloves in the gamble window. But at level 30, they don't even show up most of the time. And so far, no Broc (though she's found some decent, non-leech rares.)

I told her if she'd like, I'll get a level 1 barb, put on some music, and veg out and gamble leather gloves for a bit for her in a TCP/IP game. It'll take a little while, and some cash, but it sounds doable. It's way faster than trying to gamble them with her zon -- because with a lv1 character, I can gamble 100 leather gloves in 15 minutes for about 55k. (I timed it.)

My only concern is that there may be a cap that would prevent a level 1 character from gambling broc. Is there such a cap, that anyone knows about? If not, I think we've got a plan for (slowly) getting her some gloves. (And in the future, probably a Greyform, and maybe a Tarn if she doesn't find a Sol before then for a +1 hat.)
Yes and No. It doesn't prevent you from getting uniques specifically, but most uniques would be too high of a level to get from level 1.
http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/lofiver....php/t4131.html

After reading that link, you'll realize that gambling a unique is a very rare event.
You can determine the level of a unique from this link:
http://web.archive.org/web/20050324035146/...niq_gloves.html
So a level 1 can't gamble the Hand of Broc.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Hi AW (or anyone who cares to reply, for that matter...),

Quote:http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/lofiver....php/t4131.html
http://web.archive.org/web/20050324035146/...niq_gloves.html

The first page is dated last 2005. Are the numbers still valid?
The second page is dead. Apparently d2data.net is no longer....

TIA!
-D. (gorn),
"Show me your funky dope manoeuvre!"
There haven't been any major changes since 1.10 (2004?) except for a few runewords. They should be accurate still.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Thanks for the follow up, A_W! After reading what seems like everything ever written aboot gambling, I'm still a little unclear - probly the math, or my translation of the math to common parlance. :blush:I have 3 more questions (I'm playing Classic, if that matters):

1. As long as my character is sufficient level to spawn a base item in the gambling window, am I allowed to gamble the unique for it? I'm thinking of Tarns (skullcap) & Bloodfists (heavy gloves) with my L6 Necro. I'm attempting to do the same thing goldfish was doing, & AFAICT, the only limit is base item <= clvl+4 (ie: clvl 4 = Twitch, clvl 8 = Chance Guards, clvl 16 = Iceblink, etc.). If I'm correct, is there any advantage to waiting for a higher level, since I'm not interested in rares?

2. Can I gamble exceptionals? If I want a Cedar bow, do I gamble Long Bows with a clvl 31 or higher character and eventually some will turn out to be Cedars? Or do exceptionals in fact show up in the gambling window at some point? Cuz IIRC I haven't seen one yet, and I'd like to get a better bow. AFAICT, I think I'm gonna have to burn a bunch of imbues & cross my fingers one turns out worthwhile. :unsure:Any advice appreciated.

3. Exceptional/Elite Uniques do not exist in Classic, correct? What does that mean as far as ammys & rings go? It used to be there were only 3 of each (nagel, manald, soj; nokozan, etlich, curio). Is this still true? The Arreat Summit, despite GF's heroics, still has some gaps....

Thanks a ton in advance anyone!
-D. (gorn),
Just a wee bump. I know it's old news, but I haven't been able to answer these questions myself after pretty extensive reading.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
-D. (gorn),
Kinda depressing answering my own thread.:(

AFAICT, after multiple readings, the answers to my questions #1 & #2 are "yes". #3 remains unanswered.

I also wonder if keeping the 2 'lower' Unique rings force SoJ's like in the olden days (eg: I need a <span style="font-family:arialhelvetica"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><span style="font-family:arialhelvetica"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:#908858">Nokozan Relic <span style="color:#000000"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:#ffffff">to gamble an Eye of Etlich)?

Thanks in advance anyone.
:whistling:

<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--></span><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--></span><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
-D. (gorn),
Heiho,

I never was that big in theoretical stuff about gambling and suchlike ...

#3 ... the other unique rings/amulets are flagged as Expansion only, so they won't matter. They can't spawn at all, because those lines in respective *.txt files aren't evaluated in Classic environment at all.
So, if I understand the problem correctly, you don't need to assume they could theoretically be evaluated in the item-generating process, but would spawn as rares in a last step of generation.
If item-generation rolls an unique it will choose from valid uniques only.
Jewelry is not divided into normal/exc/elite, neither in D2C nor in LoD. The base item grade is evaluated before the magical grade is.

Quote:I also wonder if keeping the 2 'lower' Unique rings force SoJ's like in the olden days (eg: I need a [font=arialhelvetica][size=-1][font=arialhelvetica][size=-1][font=arialhelvetica][size=-1][color=#908858]Nokozan Relic [color=#000000][size=3][color=#ffffff]to gamble an Eye of Etlich)?

Which unique (if more than one of a given base item grade exist) will be generated depends as far as I know solely on rarity values in *.txt files, regardless of D2C or LoD. IIRC this is fact at least since 1.1x.
Only exception is given if an unique has already spawned in the very same game, then in last step of generation an again-spawned-unique would fail and result in a hidurare (3x durability compared to regular items; it _won't_ drop an other unique version of the same base item, if exist); this is not shown ingame on jewelry, but the technical processing is still the same.
so long ...
librarian

Check out some peanuts or the
Diablo II FAQtoids
current status: re-thinking about HoB
Thanks for the reply, librarian!

So, could you confirm for me that it is in fact possible to gamble exceptionals? I just gamble short war bows and eventually a Rune Bow will show up, providing I'm sufficient level for them to appear (IIRC L49)?

TIA!
-D. (gorn),
Heiho,

I've re-browsed some elderly references which led to
http://www.mannm.org/d2library/faqtoids/gamble_eng.html
but I haven't found anything truly D2C related. I _think_ the GambleUltra part is just not evaluated in D2C environment, but the GambleUber part is, so yes, you may gamble exceptionals in D2C.

Still I'm not sure, so don't quote me on that ;-)
so long ...
librarian

Check out some peanuts or the
Diablo II FAQtoids
current status: re-thinking about HoB
You, sir, are not only a gentleman & a scholar, but a penultimate 'bomb' as well.B)

I believe I have read that page in my many travels over this issue. Probly more than once. I'll re-peruse tho.

Thanks a ton, librarian.

PS: Oooh, oooh!! One last thing:
What is the equation for "GambleUber"?? (iLvl = cLvl + rnd[10] - 5)? I think that was where I got confused in the first place (eg: my "translated the math poorly" quote) TIA!

Attempt #3: Nevermind. I finally saw the wee box at the bottom right-hand side of the page. GambleUber = 90. Mebbe I need a CAT scan.... Sorry for the trouble!
-D. (gorn),