Spore, release date announced
Hello,

The first news letter from Spore has just arrived in my mail box and it mentions Spore has finally gotten a release date:)

I have seen people mention Spore here previously, so I figured at least some of the Lurkers would be interested in seeing this news.

September 7, 2008.

I am personally looking forward to this one.

More information can be found here.
Any news on system requirements?
Quote:Any news on system requirements?

Not that I know of, unfortunately.
Does anybody else think that this is just going to be a huge disappointment?
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Quote:Does anybody else think that this is just going to be a huge disappointment?
I haven't been interested in this since the first announcement. Something about it just seems... meh. And it's not just down to my belief that Will Wright lost his golden touch after SimCity 2000.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Quote:Does anybody else think that this is just going to be a huge disappointment?

I set my expectations low for it so it will be hard to disappoint me on it. I also have only followed it very casually for that reason as well. I still like the concept still think there is potential and don't think all of that has been lost yet but we'll see. I don't think it will be as big as they will want to bill it though.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.

I don't trust Will Wright to deliver anymore, and I don't trust Maxis.

I do trust Soren Johnson. Even if the game isn't the "everything under the sun" that it was conceived as, it will have some redeeming gameplay.

-Jester
Hi,

Quote:I do trust Soren Johnson.
Me too, and I didn't know he was on the Spore team - thanks Jester. Now I will give the game a closer look. It may sound silly to do this simply because one specific man is working on it too, but he did so much right with CIV that for me this is reason enough.

-Kylearan
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider
Serious question: Has Will Wright made a fun game within the last 20 years?

As a caveat, The Sims does not count because that game is horrible and I immediately lose a moderate amount of respect for anyone who enjoys it.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Quote:Serious question: Has Will Wright made a fun game within the last 20 years?

As a caveat, The Sims does not count because that game is horrible and I immediately lose a moderate amount of respect for anyone who enjoys it.

I enjoyed it. (-respect!)

Simcity 2000 was good.

SimAnt was amusing, at least.

He kinda sorta helped make Sid Meier's SimGolf, which was good times, if somewhat shallow.

-Jester
Quote:I enjoyed it. (-respect!)

Okay, that came off as a little harsh:)

I played a little bit of a friend's copy and I don't know what it was about the game but it was one of the least fun hours of my life. It just completely rubbed me the wrong way.

SimCity 2000 came out in '95 for Windows:ph34r:
--Mith

Jack London
Quote:SimCity 2000 came out in '95 for Windows:ph34r:

New Math?

-Jester
Quote:New Math?

-Jester

I just realized I had 20 years written in my post instead of 10 years. Yay for typos.
--Mith

Jack London
Quote:I don't trust Will Wright to deliver anymore, and I don't trust Maxis.

I do trust Soren Johnson. Even if the game isn't the "everything under the sun" that it was conceived as, it will have some redeeming gameplay.

-Jester

Agreed. I planned to order Spore as soon as I saw that Soren was on the team. :wub:
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete

I will be picking this up solely based on my desire to have an updated version of the game EVO. I don't know if it will deliver but honestly this is the only PC game that I am, or have been, thinking about getting at all. Now if they announce a console release sometime before the PC release then i'll probably just pick up the console version.
Quote:I will be picking this up solely based on my desire to have an updated version of the game EVO. I don't know if it will deliver but honestly this is the only PC game that I am, or have been, thinking about getting at all. Now if they announce a console release sometime before the PC release then i'll probably just pick up the console version.

Great. Now I need to dig out the SNES and play EVO through again.
See you in Town,
-Z
Quote:Great. Now I need to dig out the SNES and play EVO through again.
Still trhere mon i want to set up a battle net game
Anyone got this game yet?

I've been playing it and it is fun and unique. I wish there were more options when creating your creatures but overall, I'd say the system is pretty rock solid: They should have made it so better eyes can see more of those hidden shiny objects on the floor, or have a higher chance to spot creatures in "stealth" mode before they attack you. Ears could have served the same function instead of just being cosmetic fillers for your creature. Also, I wish certain body parts would stack bonuses instead of only getting the highest bonus for your creature from one body part; it would be nice to add like 6 pair of legs and run extremely fast! The way Spore handles body parts makes it so your shoehorned into choosing specific body parts later on no so much for cosmetic appeal, but to get the highest ability levels.

And on such matter, does anybody know if you put two or more jaws on your creature, say, in the front where the face is, do ALL jaws attack doing 3x your BITE damage, or does only one bite attack take effect? If you also have, say, horns, do your horns also do damage, or do they only work if you charge?

As for the Tribe part of the game, the RTS features feels broken to me compared to the rest of the game, but that could be because I am unfamiliar with RTS type games. I have no idea what I'm doing and getting my tribe members to do anything is such a frustrating chore, it makes Spore loose it's appeal for me. I'll mess around with it a bit longer and see if I can't get the hang of it.

Overall thus far, I'd give this game a C.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:Anyone got this game yet?
Yes, gotten into space with 5 different races so far. The previous stages seem more like a combined tutorial to me. I only (near) maxed the first two races out on stats, Creature & Tribal stages become harder on replays as you encounter your previous monsters. Especially if they become Epicized.

Space has many toys to play with, especially once you learn which messages you can safely ignore. If you don't learn to ignore the unimportant messages (pirates is one), you'll quickly get frustrated from constantly running around fixing everyone elses problems instead of trying new stuff.

Remember to switch between social and combat modes before you do things in Tribal. And your chieftain has to be selected for social interactions.
Quote:Overall thus far, I'd give this game a C.
85-95/100 for me. Space really saves the game.

Mega Laser + Civilian population = Fun!

Messing around with the terrain of a hapless tribal world = Fun!

Tossing down a Monolith and then buying the resulting space age race out of their only system =:D
Hugs are good, but smashing is better! - Clarence<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
Quote:Also, I wish certain body parts would stack bonuses instead of only getting the highest bonus for your creature from one body part; it would be nice to add like 6 pair of legs and run extremely fast! The way Spore handles body parts makes it so your shoehorned into choosing specific body parts later on no so much for cosmetic appeal, but to get the highest ability levels.

Hello Meat,

I don't know if that's intended, but by the way you describe it, it sounds like those body parts are actually handled "correctly," from a Biology point of view. While certain functions are indeed scalable (such as, say, breathing, in which the efficiency of the respiratory function increases as you increase the exchange surface for CO2 and O2), others are essentially limited by the most efficient element of it.

Following your example about legs take, for example, the cockroach. This is a 6-legged insects (as all insects are), and the usual movement mode is to use the legs alternatively, keep two legs grounded on one side (front and rear), one on the other (the middle one), while moving the other three legs forward, then swap and repeat. If you make the cockroach run faster (by chasing it, I suppose, although it can be better seen in the lab with a tiny threadmill and a camera), it will use four legs, raising the front two, in a manner not dissimilar to a horse. Make it go even faster, and it will start running on TWO legs only (the rear ones). This, of course, is not universally applicable, as you look at bigger animals, other considerations such as body mass or the animal's habits must be taken into account. While the Cheetah is the fastest land animal in short sprints, with its four legs, ostriches can run as fast as 70 km/h when sprinting, and also sustain around 40-50 km/h for longer, giving other four-legged animals a run for their money (pun intended!).

Anyway, long story short, such a setup for the system to limit the "boost" to the best performing upgrade is not a bad idea, even though it may not necessarily correlate with how things could work 100% of the time:)