hireling screen
Background: A couple weeks ago I acquired a copy of Diablo II. I've been playing D1 for years, thought I would give this D2 thing a try. Mostly just playing about so far, have an Amazon in Act II.

Problem: I go through hirelings at a great rate. Why? because I can't heal them, or equip them with anything better. There is no hireling screen. I have read through some walkthrus, and surfed through the Lounge forums and I keep running across information that indicates you can actually give hirelings potions, armor, and weapons. I can't find any way of doing that to my hirelings. So they snuff it right quick just as things start getting interesting. Most annoying. My tactics have basically devolved into leading the poor slob into the fray, then pulling back and using ranged attacks for as long as he lasts. Sometimes I can rescue my merc with town portal and a visit to the Medics, but usually I'm too busy with my own troubles to keep close tabs on the poor guy.

What have I missed? Is there a key I have to press that isn't on my keyboard??

Krishta
asking the first in a seemingly endless series of stupid questions...
Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User
Quote:Background: A couple weeks ago I acquired a copy of Diablo II. I've been playing D1 for years, thought I would give this D2 thing a try. Mostly just playing about so far, have an Amazon in Act II.

Problem: I go through hirelings at a great rate. Why? because I can't heal them, or equip them with anything better. There is no hireling screen. I have read through some walkthrus, and surfed through the Lounge forums and I keep running across information that indicates you can actually give hirelings potions, armor, and weapons. I can't find any way of doing that to my hirelings. So they snuff it right quick just as things start getting interesting. Most annoying. My tactics have basically devolved into leading the poor slob into the fray, then pulling back and using ranged attacks for as long as he lasts. Sometimes I can rescue my merc with town portal and a visit to the Medics, but usually I'm too busy with my own troubles to keep close tabs on the poor guy.

Krishta

Are you playing D2 Classic? If you are, then you can't give them armor or weapons. It's only in the expansion that you can do that, unfortunately.

Quote:Are you playing D2 Classic? If you are, then you can't give them armor or weapons. It's only in the expansion that you can do that, unfortunately.

But you can still give them potions I believe by selecting a potion in your cursor (the hand) and "dropping-it" over your hirelings portrait.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:But you can still give them potions I believe by selecting a potion in your cursor (the hand) and "dropping-it" over your hirelings portrait.

Just tried it on my copy, and nope. The potion would not highlight the portrait, and it would just drop to the ground.
Quote:Background: A couple weeks ago I acquired a copy of Diablo II. I've been playing D1 for years, thought I would give this D2 thing a try. Mostly just playing about so far, have an Amazon in Act II.

Krishta

To give a potion to a merc, hold down the shift key and click the potion or press the hotkey for the potion.

The default hotkey for the merc equipment screen is "O".
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
Quote:To give a potion to a merc, hold down the shift key and click the potion or press the hotkey for the potion.

The default hotkey for the merc equipment screen is "O".

I've tried that in D2 Classic, and it's a no go. My guesses at this point are:

- krishta already read the various walkthroughs etc, but maybe some of the information doesn't clearly say the differences between D2: Lord of Destruction expansion and D2 Classic.

- I have a defective copy of the game. I kind of doubt that though, from my own memory and browsing some old previews and reviews of LoD, being able to give healing potions and gear to mercs seems to be a LoD only feature.

- krishta has a defective or malfunctioning version of LoD. Would be weird, but weirder things have happened I suppose. Patching it to the latest version and other standard boiler plate solution might help.
Quote: I kind of doubt that though, from my own memory and browsing some old previews and reviews of LoD, being able to give healing potions and gear to mercs seems to be a LoD only feature.

Sounds most probable to me. It's been forever and a day since I've fired up a non-LoD D2. I tend to assume people are running that since it's so darned cheap now.
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
Quote:Are you playing D2 Classic? If you are, then you can't give them armor or weapons. It's only in the expansion that you can do that, unfortunately.

Aha! That's it. The stuff I've been perusing was not clear on D2 Classic vs LOD. I was wondering if I had messed up the install or something dumb like that. No worries then. I'll just have to be more careful with my mercs.

Thanks!

Krishta
Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User