Character Builds
I'm thinking of picking up Diablo II again. I would like to make a good build, something powerful but fun to play. Its been two years so I don't know whats changed. Does anyone know of some good sites by experienced DII players of how to spend my skill/attribute points wisely and effectivily?

This time around most interested in Assassin, Paladin and Druid. Though I'll probably end up with more. Thanks
Quote:I'm thinking of picking up Diablo II again. I would like to make a good build, something powerful but fun to play. Its been two years so I don't know whats changed. Does anyone know of some good sites by experienced DII players of how to spend my skill/attribute points wisely and effectivily?

This time around most interested in Assassin, Paladin and Druid. Though I'll probably end up with more. Thanks

For me, it was and still is, the Amazon Basin. Which build is fun is a matter of personal taste, but in terms of good info, the AB has a lot of it.

Since I don't know exactly which builds you find powerful but fun, I can only give you my take on it. YMMV and all that. I personally like builds that aren't too item dependant.

Assasin: Kickers and Trappers. Finding\crafting an end game boot for a kicker is relatively easier compared to other chars and their end game gear, in my own experience at least. (Simple kicker build I liked, max DTail, max Fade, max a Shadow minion of your choice, 1 point in Cloak of Shadow. Your choice of merc. Everything else is gravy.)

Paladin: Elemental (Shock and Frost) Zealots, and Blessed Hammerdins. The first is one of my personal favourite, the second are well known for good reasons.

Druid: There's a lot of possibilities with this one, but honestly Druids are not really my cup of tea. I did however, had a good time building an Edge bow werewolf, and a similar themed Rabid wolf, and a wind based druid caster.

addition: Since druids are not my particular favourite, I'm not really sure which one would qualify as 'powerful', so I listed the druid builds I found fun. If by powerful you mean able to solo an 8\Hell game, out of the chars listed I personally found the Assasin to be the most able to survive, give a decent smackdown, at an affordable price. But again, YMMV.

Quote:I'm thinking of picking up Diablo II again. I would like to make a good build, something powerful but fun to play. Its been two years so I don't know whats changed. Does anyone know of some good sites by experienced DII players of how to spend my skill/attribute points wisely and effectivily?

For just starting, Paladin's have got to be the best build all around; great defense, hit points, and damage. Get just about any type of weapon and your choice of auras and your good to go. Once you start getting some gear saved up, you can start other builds, imo.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin

HC or not? If you are playing HC there are basically three options if you want to take your first char all the way through Hell:

- SummonerNecro with maxed Skellies and using CE. Meat can fill you in, IIRC he'running one.

- Lightning/Poison Zon, fast and effective killer.

- A BF-Trapsin with maxed out Shadowmaster. I've got one level 76 at the moment. Best Minion in the whole game and Mindblast is the best 1 point skill ever.

All chars work best with a Might merc.

Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”
Thanks everyone! and by powerful I meant able to do Hell/bhaal by myself. I like to do my own runs sometimes cause people used to take all the goodies first. I know its first grab for some but i just wanted a character strong enough to do it.

Hear or somewhere i read that poisont zons are good to. And I learned if doing a zealer your better off not doing CS repeated runs or risk death by O.Knights I.M curse.

problem is time. To get back into things i need lots of it. i don't know if i have it.
Quote:Thanks everyone! and by powerful I meant able to do Hell/bhaal by myself. I like to do my own runs sometimes cause people used to take all the goodies first. I know its first grab for some but i just wanted a character strong enough to do it.

Hear or somewhere i read that poisont zons are good to. And I learned if doing a zealer your better off not doing CS repeated runs or risk death by O.Knights I.M curse.

problem is time. To get back into things i need lots of it. i don't know if i have it.

As I mentioned above L/P-Zons are effective through Hell in Solo-Mode. They and Skelli-Necros are the two favourite chars when there has been a ladder-reset. I've got an Elemental Zealot with good Res in Act5/N, he's finding it difficult, Hell will be even worse. The best combo for a char is Ranged Attack/Strong Minion. (I view CE as a ranged attack)
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”
Quote:As I mentioned above L/P-Zons are effective through Hell in Solo-Mode. They and Skelli-Necros are the two favourite chars when there has been a ladder-reset. I've got an Elemental Zealot with good Res in Act5/N, he's finding it difficult, Hell will be even worse. The best combo for a char is Ranged Attack/Strong Minion. (I view CE as a ranged attack)

Yeah, I'm with Assur on this one. If you want to solo Hell on your first try, make a summoner Necromancer. However you will want to have somewhat decent gear for him first (perhaps a few runes?) which is why I suggest a paladin for Normal and Nightmare because they're built "Ford" tough;)and can get some nice starting gear for your Necromancer in no time. Just my opinion.

BTW, my Necromancer is now level 70 and doing extremely well in Hell. Let me just put it this way; I can solo in an 8ppl game! If your going Necro, then definitely play trade up to a Might merc as soon as possible, despite whatever logic your brain tells you to the contrary (you will kill stuff 2x faster and the skeletons already have so many HP, you hardly ever have to recast them anyways). Also, play Ladder and make an Insight A.S.A.P. in a 4-socket polearm for your merc. Believe it or not, if you have enough +1 skill items collected from your Paladin, then you will only ever need 1-point into Summon Resists, Revive, and Amplify Damage (and this is also the ONLY curse you need, despite what people might tell you to the contrary).

Well, have fun whichever you choose.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:Does anyone know of some good sites by experienced DII players of how to spend my skill/attribute points wisely and effectivily?

OMG, I have no idea how I missed this the first time. I have a virtual ton of links for you:

The Arreat Summit (get more info. here then you can shake your fist at)
Chippydip's Skill Planner (just like it sounds)
Weapon Speed Calculator (just like it sounds)
Diablo II Stragegy Compendium (strategy guides for all classes and all patches)

Oh yeah, list of LINKS at the Amazon Basin (a must see for Tools/Calculators).

Diablo II.net (the original, the best.)

Those are all the important ones. The other important ones are all for modding, but you sound more like you just want to play the game.

thanks I'm looking at making a L/P zon and a zealy pally. I need to make sure my attack rating is high on my pally cause on higher levels i couldnt connect as much as I'd like. A lot of the uniques I was interested in didn't offer any or enough A.R at least it seemed.

would like to make a Necro/skelly. I found them effective, i just had the problem against bosses like Bhaal. Is it revive that brings destroyed skellies back? How do I use a necro/skelly against bhaal on harder skill levels?

Any major changes in 1.10 to 1.11? they didn't change skills did they? 1.10 builds still good to use? thanks again

Quote:As I mentioned above L/P-Zons are effective through Hell in Solo-Mode. They and Skelli-Necros are the two favourite chars when there has been a ladder-reset. I've got an Elemental Zealot with good Res in Act5/N, he's finding it difficult, Hell will be even worse. The best combo for a char is Ranged Attack/Strong Minion. (I view CE as a ranged attack)
Quote:thanks I'm looking at making a L/P zon and a zealy pally. I need to make sure my attack rating is high on my pally cause on higher levels i couldnt connect as much as I'd like. A lot of the uniques I was interested in didn't offer any or enough A.R at least it seemed.

would like to make a Necro/skelly. I found them effective, i just had the problem against bosses like Bhaal. Is it revive that brings destroyed skellies back? How do I use a necro/skelly against bhaal on harder skill levels?

Any major changes in 1.10 to 1.11? they didn't change skills did they? 1.10 builds still good to use? thanks again

Revive animates monsters you've killed, it's a 1-point skill, let skill-adders take care of the rest. Max Skellies, max Skelly-Mastery, get a Might Merc and give him a weapomn which has "slow enemy" and you're set. BTW Act 2 Mercs can also equip javelins, some of the rare ones have very nice mods (especially the etheral ones).
Prophecy of Deimos