Ladder Reset
Quote:June 9th, 2008

Diablo II Ladder Reset - Nebu
We will be performing a Diablo II ladder reset on June 17 beginning at approximately 9:00 a.m. PDT. The reset is anticipated to require approximately six hours of downtime to complete, and during that time all Diablo II Battle.net realms will be unavailable for play. When the reset occurs all existing ladder characters will be moved to non-ladder. This provides a fresh start and new competition for leveling supremacy on the ladder realm.

For more information on the Diablo II ladder please visit our Ladder FAQ.

IMO, Ladder resets were a great idea for players who have been playing for a very long time, and a great way to keep "softcore" fresh. However this game is now a very old game in terms of your typical video game lifespan, and the people who are playing it either just love the gameplay and can't find any better anywhere else (like me), or are simply taking a break from WoW. With the group of people they have left playing Diablo II, they run the risk of driving a great deal of them away permanently with each Ladder reset. And why should Hardcore reset anyways when there are people loosing their characters everyday? No, I don't think they should bother resetting the ladder so late in the game, nor do I feel they ever should have with Hardcore in general. But whatever, out with the old, in with the new I suppose. I really want to just finish some of my builds and they don't require any ladder specific gear so I guess I'll be playing non-ladder for a bit now.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
I always have two emotions when there is a Ladder-Reset: Regret at having to dump all the chars that have survived, plus their gear, and happiness that I can start out all over again. Ahh, the joy of finding a Pelta Lunata:w00t:

This time I'll stay focused and not start a lot of different chars. I'll start 4 chars with whom I want to defeat Hell-Baal: L/P-Zon, L/C-Zon, BF-Trapsin and a Summoner-Necro (I'll try out your advise about AmpDam being the only curse needed), plus 1 melee char, a Frostadin with a sideline in HolyShock, him I only want to get to the Countes in Hell.
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”
I understand where Meat is coming from. We have so many months before it ends, and if you don't have the gear you ain't gettin' it.

I've always been someone who plays at their own pace. Even though I sometimes play a lot.
I'm researching and writing a Diablo styled (inspired) book which gives me even less time to search for things. I hate the idea of being 'out of the loop' to, from other players as my character becomes non-ladder eventually.

However, as Bolty said in Crossroads (basically, don't quote me), in response to my post, with DII they don't really care what happens to our characters cause they already have our money. In WoW they get some every month and its just good business to ensure they are always happy and will come back.

BTW, how many (roughly) are still playing DII?

Quote:I always have two emotions when there is a Ladder-Reset: Regret at having to dump all the chars that have survived, plus their gear, and happiness that I can start out all over again. Ahh, the joy of finding a Pelta Lunata:w00t:

This time I'll stay focused and not start a lot of different chars. I'll start 4 chars with whom I want to defeat Hell-Baal: L/P-Zon, L/C-Zon, BF-Trapsin and a Summoner-Necro (I'll try out your advise about AmpDam being the only curse needed), plus 1 melee char, a Frostadin with a sideline in HolyShock, him I only want to get to the Countes in Hell.
I just gave away all the stuff on my mules and killed all but my three favorite characters to duels; I just can't seem to see these go out like that - it would break my heart. But then again, if I don't play them because I'm starting a new ladder season, then I'll probably end up deleting them, but at least that I could live with after feeling like I lost interest in them, but not now while they are still my most favorite.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Hi,

Quote:I just gave away all the stuff on my mules and killed all but my three favorite characters to duels; I just can't seem to see these go out like that - it would break my heart. But then again, if I don't play them because I'm starting a new ladder season, then I'll probably end up deleting them, but at least that I could live with after feeling like I lost interest in them, but not now while they are still my most favorite.
Know the feeling. If you can start new ladder characters in an existing account, why not do that? Then when your old characters are close to being dropped, simply log them onto b-net for a second or two. IIRC, you don't actually even need to get into a game, but check that out, my memory is pretty rusty.

I thought that one cycle's ladder items became normal drops on the next cycle. Is that true, or am I mis-remembering? If so, why start a new ladder? You'd most likely end up, again, where you are now. Just a thought, and probably based on an erroneous assumption anyway.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:I thought that one cycle's ladder items became normal drops on the next cycle. Is that true, or am I mis-remembering? If so, why start a new ladder? You'd most likely end up, again, where you are now. Just a thought, and probably based on an erroneous assumption anyway.

Because everyone I know, including my son, wife, co-worker, and about 5 friends met on battle.net are all switching over to the ladder and deleting their old characters, so if I didn't make the switch, I'd be all alone with nobody to play with. Let's be honest, Diablo II isn't the best game in the world, nor was it ever; it's the social aspect of the game that makes or breaks it, IMO.
Hi,

Quote:Because everyone I know, including my son, wife, co-worker, and about 5 friends met on battle.net are all switching over to the ladder and deleting their old characters, so if I didn't make the switch, I'd be all alone with nobody to play with. Let's be honest, Diablo II isn't the best game in the world, nor was it ever; it's the social aspect of the game that makes or breaks it, IMO.
Say no more, that's the best reason there is:)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

I used to think the idea of Ladder was good. After about a month or so of seeing some of the results, I changed my thinking.

Anyway, they now have a new patch.

http://www.battle.net/Diablo2exp/

1.12a, no more requirement for the CD in the drive to play.
Quote:I used to think the idea of Ladder was good. After about a month or so of seeing some of the results, I changed my thinking.

Anyway, they now have a new patch.

http://www.battle.net/Diablo2exp/

1.12a, no more requirement for the CD in the drive to play.

*AHEM*

Remember way back when the majority of us here at the LL said D2Loader was perfectly okay to use for Lurkers because all it did was allow you to play without your CD in the drive? Case-in-point. Now can somebody here please to god tell me why on Earth they did not do this years ago? Seriously, can anyone here please point me in the right direction, because I'm grasping at straws here?!?
Quote:*AHEM*

Remember way back when the majority of us here at the LL said D2Loader was perfectly okay to use for Lurkers because all it did was allow you to play without your CD in the drive? Case-in-point.

Who are you aheming to? :) Heh, I'm in the camp that believed players8 for solo offline \sp is fine, iirc some folks were not ok with it in the very early days, because bliz did not officially endorse it. Then it became a built in\activated thing. Same with graphical lag reduction mods. Though I obviously draw the line at things like MHack etc.

Quote: Now can somebody here please to god tell me why on Earth they did not do this years ago? Seriously, can anyone here please point me in the right direction, because I'm grasping at straws here?!?

Well it's possible this is just due to my setup, but on my computer you still need the actual CD to play. What doesn't happen is the spin up on the drive. I can only guess that there's still some sort of game disc verification check, but it no longer whirrs the cd drive when you start the game.

Your guess is as good as any at to why blizz didnt do this sooner. My take is it might be some copy protection kind of thinking. Which is a whole other discussion.

Ps. I thought I gave this thing a rest. I now have Zon in USWEST.
Anybody found a list of the new Runewords yet?
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”