Sorceress Help
Hello,

I recently re-installed DII after 1 year and started playing Classic. I started with a Sorceress and decided to make her a Lite sorc. I'm not to expericaned with sorcs, so thats why i posted this topic. I was told that 100 str, 0 dex, around 70-80 energy, and rest into vit is the way to go. I can understand the 100 str, to equip the exceptional armors, but im not to sure on the energy or vit.

For skills, i was thinking of maxing Chain lightning, lightning and lightning mastery. Atleast 10 into Charge bolt, 2-3 into Energy shiled, 2-3 into warmth, 1-2 into static field and 1 into teleport.

As i said before, im not a 'pro' on sorcs, so feedback is much apretiated.

Thanks.
[Image: diabloplayerps4.png]
Quote:Hello,

I recently re-installed DII after 1 year and started playing Classic. I started with a Sorceress and decided to make her a Lite sorc. I'm not to expericaned with sorcs, so thats why i posted this topic. I was told that 100 str, 0 dex, around 70-80 energy, and rest into vit is the way to go. I can understand the 100 str, to equip the exceptional armors, but im not to sure on the energy or vit.

For skills, i was thinking of maxing Chain lightning, lightning and lightning mastery. Atleast 10 into Charge bolt, 2-3 into Energy shiled, 2-3 into warmth, 1-2 into static field and 1 into teleport.

Thanks.
Although it's tempting to pump synergies, how are you going to deal with lightning immunes? Although you can fry anything that is merely resistant, Rakanishu will give you problems, not to mention the Cow King. So, it's usually better to sacrifice pure damage for versatility.
Quality over quantity.
- BruceGod -

Thanks.

If you played the expansion, I could help you out quite a bit, but I'm not familiar with Classic anymore.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin

Thanks.

I'm spending some time on Classic too, even though I have the Expansion. Maybe I'm the odd duck, but sometimes I want a break from some of the item inflation of LoD. And I kind of like Chaos runs over Baal run at times.

BruceGod basically nailed it. Unless you know you have some teammates that can provide you with different types of attacks, immunities will most likely stop single type builds.

There are some similarities between Classic and Expansion, but off the top of my head here's some important differences.

- Don't count on a Merc to be a tank, or give you a different attack type. (They can give you a different type of attack, but mercs in classic usually don't last long. You can't give them armor, weapons, or potions.) So no sorceress with a barb merc.

- No runes, and no runewords. So no Insight stick\polearm. Drinking some mana juice will be part of the game. Heck, I still drink blue juice in LoD.

- No Elite class items, no class only items. So no orbs.

- Act 4 is the end of the road.

- Static Field isn't capped the same way as in LoD.

- No jewels. So no cube recipes that requires runes or jewels.

This isn't necessarily for the OP, but a quick reminder for people who may be thinking of LoD when someone's asking about Classic. (I know the dilemma, I'm wondering what a Valk in classic gets when she reaches slvl 17, because there is no elite in classic. What I do get, is answers mostly relating to LoD that she gets a War Pike elite class spear.)

Anyway, on to sorc stuff in d2 classic. Re: 100 str, personally, most of my sorc has a max of 60 str. IMO, you can get by with less, depending on what you want to build. Same with Dex, as you mention. If I'm playing a sorc as a stereotypical magic user, I'm leaving Dex as base. (Edited addition) 75 Str would be the highest I go personally, if I want to wear a Tower Shield for blocking.

Energy vs Vit, I guess a bit of a toss up. In LoD, I can build a base energy sorc, and put all points after Str into Vit. But to be blunt, IMO what makes the base point energy sorc builds possible are mostly LoD only items and features. (My LoD bliz-meteor sorc no longer worries about mana much after her merc has an Insight weapon. With zero skill points in Warmth.)

It's possible with Classic, but your options will obviously be different from LoD. Having said that, I remember a long time ago when mana potions wasn't up for sale by vendors. So it's not all doom and gloom.

There's always the hope of finding\gambling some good Rares too. And a few thing still applies in both Classic and LoD. For PvM, Fire and Lightning resists are important.

Dual types builds of all classes are probably more common after 1.10. Unless, like previously said you know you have some teammates that can provide other types of attacks. But really, dual element can mean as little investment as 1 point in Static field for a Fire\Cold sorc for example. Or for another hypothetical Light sorc, say 20 in Frozen Orb.

That would mean cutting some points from some of your lightning synergies, but to echo Brucegod's excellent point. Synergies doesn't mean a lot against a monster that's immune to that particular element\type. And you can't always rely on items or other players to break immunities or provide another type of attack for you.

In anycase, hope my rambling helps somewhat. As usual, YMMV. (Any mistake on my part can be blamed on lack of sleep and nostalgia.)
HS,

Thanks a ton for the brief review! Trying to make up for like 5 patches & 5 years worth of forgetitude.... :blink:

Soon I'm off to the AB, RBD, etc., etc..... :wacko:
-D. (gorn),
"Show me your funky dope manoeuvre!"