July News/Discussion
Quote:I've always thought that arenas should have predefined sets of equipment. If you want a purely skill-based affair, then give everyone the same gear and let talent spec and player skill be the rule of the day. Sure you remove a huge motivation to play arenas by taking away the gear rewards, but there are ways around that- titles, mounts, heck, maybe even free playtime.

I've long thought that's the way to do it, too. But then you have hordes of folks saying THAT isn't fun. Blizzard can't win here, with PvP. Basically...people want to kill other people easily, with no risk to themselves doing so in this game. You can't make it balanced, or fair, without upsetting a large chunk of your playerbase.

This is essentially the same argument those who like twinks are so fond of constantly repeating "I twink so that I can compete against other twinks!" but when you realize there are very few twinks out there, and they don't tend to like playing against each other, the argument kind of falls flat.
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Quote:This is essentially the same argument those who like twinks are so fond of constantly repeating "I twink so that I can compete against other twinks!" but when you realize there are very few twinks out there, and they don't tend to like playing against each other, the argument kind of falls flat.

Hm.

Overall, I get nothing out of WoW PvP. Just not my thing. But I had a great time when I was twinking. And not because we could win AB in under 10 minutes (EDIT: or was that 5 minutes? Long time since I've been in an AB) 2000-0 against undermanned pickups, but because we regularly organised games against other twink teams on our server and later in our battlegroup. Those games between almost evenly matched groups of dedicated players were among the best ecperiences in WoW for me. With so many annoying random factors removed, it really boiled down to skill/tactics/coordination.

I would have greatly welcomed the option to always play against such teams and not having to farm or buy all that silly twink gear. So while I realise that most players do in fact feel like you described (raids pwning single players running to instances, sheesh...), I would like to be noted as an exception:).

My name is Tarabulus and I enjoy fair* PvP combat. What's your game?

take care
Tarabulus

*as fair as possible
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
Quote:I've always thought that arenas should have predefined sets of equipment. If you want a purely skill-based affair, then give everyone the same gear and let talent spec and player skill be the rule of the day. Sure you remove a huge motivation to play arenas by taking away the gear rewards, but there are ways around that- titles, mounts, heck, maybe even free playtime.

I think that's what they're trying to accomplish with the Arena Tournament servers. Don't forget the prize of waving your e-peen in everyone's face; there'll always be that to win.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
I completely disagree. Part of the skill and effort involved is the itemization. This is just as valid as your spec. I spec differently for 2s than I do for 3s and 5s due to my team makeup. I was dead set against it when they stopped allowing you to change gear in arenas too. If you put the time and effort into different sets of gear that is just as much prep and effort as anything else you can do to boost your team's ability to win. IMO pvp is about putting your character/team against mine. If I've itemized my ducks in a row and you're just a welfare epic mess I SHOULD win.

The playing field can not be "leveled" because that just takes the fun out of it. If there is no progression, no preparation, no hard choices, and because of which no hard fought victories what is the point?
Removing the equipment factor from Arenas would suit a different style of game, WOW is big on slow, painstaking character growth. That said I do think low level twinks are a problem because the BGs should be fun for new players and being one-hit by someone you can't even touch isn't fun.

Even if gear differentials were removed there will still be players with 'unfair' (ie. not based on skill) advantages over others. A more modern machine, a better connection to the server, even an appropriate interface - ever tried to heal in Arena using Grid and mouseover macros? I don't recommend it!
July 16 News

~~~
With Patch 2.4.3, came the Gigantique Bag, for a mere 1200g. Some would argue, that it's a steal that price, for the 22 slots it brings. Others would disagree, figuring that paying 1200g for 2 bag slots (as most folks have 20 slot bags by now) is a waste of money. In many places, this item has sparked some interesting debate. What do you feel you MUST carry with you at all times? As soon as it was live, I know some folks who rushed out and bought 4 of them. I also know (myself included) folks who aren't interested in them. It has gotten me intersted in what folks feel that they need to play though, what they like to have at their "fingertips" at all times. I won't post my list of "must carry" stuff to the front page, but will continue this discussion via the News Discussion thread.
So, what's in my bags? I carry, at all times...

-Netherdrake
-Winterspring Frostsaber
-Healing Potion Injector
-Mana Potion Injector
-1 stack of Purified Draenic Water
-Goblin Jumper Cables XL
-1 Stack of Heavy Netherweave Bandages
-Hydrocane
-Broken Longbow
-Lovely Purple Dress
-Blacksmith Hammer
-Mining Pick
-Arclight Spanner
-Pheonix Hatchling (I have a 'stable' of vanity pets and alternate them as the mood strikes me)
-Zapthrottle Mote Extractor
-Medallion of the Alliance (2m, non epic version)
-Agility Food
-Elixir of Major Agility
-Elixir of Major Mageblood
-2 Stacks of Smoked Talbuk Venison (Food for the bottomless pit)
-Hearthstone
-T5 gloves (I keep them to swap out with my T6 gloves for boss fights/times my pet takes a lot of damage)

That's it. After you take away the 24 slot quiver I have, and consider that I have 20 slots bags in every available slot, that leaves me with 53 "free" slots at any given time.

I used to carry the Repair Bot 110G, But I haven't had to use those in a long, long time, so it got banked.
Quote:So, what's in my bags? I carry, at all times...

-Netherdrake
-Winterspring Frostsaber
-Healing Potion Injector
-Mana Potion Injector
-1 stack of Purified Draenic Water
-Goblin Jumper Cables XL
-1 Stack of Heavy Netherweave Bandages
-Hydrocane
-Broken Longbow
-Lovely Purple Dress
-Blacksmith Hammer
-Mining Pick
-Arclight Spanner
-Pheonix Hatchling (I have a 'stable' of vanity pets and alternate them as the mood strikes me)
-Zapthrottle Mote Extractor
-Medallion of the Alliance (2m, non epic version)
-Agility Food
-Elixir of Major Agility
-Elixir of Major Mageblood
-2 Stacks of Smoked Talbuk Venison (Food for the bottomless pit)
-Hearthstone
-T5 gloves (I keep them to swap out with my T6 gloves for boss fights/times my pet takes a lot of damage)

That's it. After you take away the 24 slot quiver I have, and consider that I have 20 slots bags in every available slot, that leaves me with 53 "free" slots at any given time.

I used to carry the Repair Bot 110G, But I haven't had to use those in a long, long time, so it got banked.

I understand the lovely purple dress (we all need to feel pretty sometimes), but the Broken Longbow? That's 600g worth of space, right there!
Quote:I understand the lovely purple dress (we all need to feel pretty sometimes), but the Broken Longbow? That's 600g worth of space, right there!

I used to do a lot of pulling in raids, and rarely would I get healing. Back before Misdirection, a healer landing a big heal on a hunterpuller means the pull go awry.;)So I got the dress to save on armor repair costs (after one run where my repair bill ended up way, way over the tanks) and started doing things that way. Until I realized that you can' t pull without a bow, and mine was expensive to repair as well. So I went back to a lowbie area and got the broken longbow. I used the two together as a 'pulling' outfit, thus sending my cost of dying down from 3-4 gold/death to 2-3 silver/death.

When pulling was dying down, as it was better to have the tank do it, it became all the rage for anyone who didn't have Feign Death to drag whatever rampaging mob onto anyone who HAD FD'ed to "give them a repair bill too". So I ItemRacked a "death" outfit, which was my pulling outfit revisited.

I haven't had to use either in a long while, though I do occasionally still whip out the dress and do a little /dance while I'm waiting for a raid to start. Or if I'm helping lowbies, I may wear that, to give a mob a sort of a chance. Deadmines in a dress? Oh, yeah!;)
From memory, I'll figure out what I missed when I get home.

-Wizard oil x2
-Black whelpling
-Wolpertinger
-Mining pick
-Hearthstone
-Drums
-Bandages
-Super Rejuv pots
-Healing potion injector
-Mana potion injector
-+Dmg foodx2
-Kibler's bits
-Infernal stones
-Shadow power elixers
-Flasks
-Brewfest Keg
-Brewfest Ram
-War kodo
-Skeletal warhorse
-Netherdrake
-ZA bear
-Purple chocobo
-Black chocobo
-Spiteblade
-Band of Devastation
-Crimson felt hat
-OH fish
-SR gear x5 (cloak, bracers, boots, pants, belt)
-BT neck
-Black pantsuit
-Spell hit rings x3
-Riding crop
-Medallion of the horde
-Battlemaster trinket
-AR gear x3 (trinket, gloves, chest)
-T6 gloves
-summer festival space goat fire thing
-Stam gear x11 (hat, shoulders, cloak, bracers, belt, pants, boots, trinket, OH, wand, ring)
-MH and OH beer mugs
-Wicked Witch hat

62 slots used + 1 full bag of shards and some extras

During raids I add 3 healthstones, 2 stacks of food, and as many shards as I can jam in there. Last night I was running around with 3 or 4 open slots, if I had the motivation to farm cash I would probably buy the 22 slot bags.
Delgorasha of <The Basin> on Tichondrius Un-re-retired
Delcanan of <First File> on Runetotem
Quote:lotta stuff

Here are my bag items from memory:

- 1 stack of talbuk steaks for clearing trash in raids and instances.
- 1 stack of dps food (Spicy Talbuk)
- 1 stack of fisherman's feast or crawdad for bosses
- 1 stack of Fortification flasks
- 1 stack of Relentless Assault Flasks for loldps or when folks forget their flasks
- 4 stacks of greater stoneshield potions
- 1 stack of greater rage potions
- 1 health injector
- 1 stack bandaids for skinned knees
- 1 stack of agility elixirs
- 1 stack of fort elixirs
- 3 vanity pets (Sinister Squashling, Firefly, Blue Dragonhawk)
- Netherdrake and Gryphon mount
- Epic horse mount
- Epic sheep mount
- Back up shield (used to be my stamina set shield)
- Chest, legs and helm from the Destroyer set, bracers from VR, tank boots from Solarian for trash tanking in BT so I has rage
- ring and neck with dodge on them for a dodge set
- DPS kit (full set including sword from HMrT and throwing weapon)
- PVP kit (for HMrt - shares thrown, and boot slot with DPS kit)
- Knight's colors
- 4 pieces for fishing outfit + fishing pole and lures (5 spots)
Comparing bag contents? Well, here I go.

Main Backpack
- Hearthstone
- Bounty of the Harvest
Second Bag
- Skinning Knife
- Terrok's Quill, for some reason...
- Knothide Leather Scraps
- Knothide Leather
- Heavy Knothite Leather
- Cobra Scales
- 2xScrolls of Intellect
- 2xPotions of Waterwalking
- Righteous Weapon Coating
- Tuxedo Jacket
- Tuxedo Shirt
- Tuxedo Pants
Third Bag
- Fishing Pole
- Fishing Hat
- Two stacks of Clefthoof Ribs
- Two stacks of Filtered Draenic Water
- Four stacks of Naaru Rations
- 5xMajor Rejuvination Potions
- 5xSuper Health Potions
- 5xSuper Mana Potions
- Drums of Panic
- Drums of Battle
- Fishing lures (Hooks)
- Stack of Grilled Mudfish
Third Bag
- Horn of the Frostwolf Howler
- Reins of the Onyx Netherdrake
- Crown of the Fire Festival
- Vestment of Summer
- Mantle of the Fire Festival
- Sandals of Summer
- Brazier of Flames
- Worg Carrier
- Frostwolf Insignia Rank 6
- Riding Crop
- Crystalforged Trinket
- Charged Crystal Focus
- Spirit Shards
- Elixirs of Shadow
- Apexis Shards
- Osha'gun Crystal Powder Samples
- Badges of Justice (Only 7, which I've gathered from SSO dailies. I don't do heroics...)
- Netherweave Cloth

Pretty much all of that is essential, except maybe the themed sets. Still, one never knows when you might find yourself in a situation where it's appropriate to put on a tux. That, and I spent half an hour distracting the Alliance battleground joiners in Shattrath by doing the fire dance atop the nearby awning.

I really should finish up Adversarial Blood and the final Skettis quest.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Ahh, yes, bag space...

4 of almost every single slot not including what is currently being worn (ie. 4 helmets, 4 amulets, 8 rings, etc...) - PvP feral, Bear tank set, Cat dps set, Healing set, PvP resto (this one is only partial).

I love being a druid!

Add reagants, consumables, one flying mount, one ground mount, hearthstone, etc. and that overflows 4 20-slotters right there. My usual free space is 8 slots...

Extraneous cruft, alas, has to be swapped in and out of the bank as needed...
Onyxia:
Kichebo - 85 NE Druid

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
July 18 News

~~~
That's right. I've got the WotLK Beta Patch notes up, and there's a ton of them! A lot of stuff to chew over, ponder, dissect, and talk about. Head over here to check it out!
Guess I'll play the bagspace game, too. I'm still using two 16-slot bags and I just recently picked up two 18-slot bags. One of these days I'll get a 20-slot bag or two from Mag and similar areas; my luck with rolls has been terrible lately.

Main backpack:

- Naaru Ration x12
- Frost Grenades x10
- Frost Grenades x10
- Frost Grenades x10
- Arcane Bomb x7
- Super Sapper Charge x4
- Explosive Sheep x2
- Jaggal Clam Meat x10
- Archmage Vargoth's Staff
- Mallet of Zul'Farrak
- Fel Iron Casing x1
- Goblin Rocket Launcher

Imbued Netherweave Bag (1):

- Mote of Mana x8
- Mote of Earth x2
- Mote of Shadow x2
- Mote of Air x4
- Mote of Fire x3
- Mote of Life x1
- Mote of Water x3
- Vengeance of the Illidari
- Elemental Blasting Powder x5
- Lv.68 green breastplate, waiting to be disenchanted
- Dense Stone x11
- Solid Stone x4
- Black Vitriol x1

Imbued Netherweave Bag (2):

- Badge of Justice x14
- Warsong Gulch Mark of Honor x12
- Arathi Basin Mark of Honor x13
- Alterac Valley Mark of Honor x14
- Eye of the Storm Mark of Honor x40
- Healing Potion Injector x20
- Mana Potion Injector x20
- Major Rejuvenation Potion x2
- Swim Speed Potion x4
- Swiftness Potion x5
- Swiftness Potion x5
- Lesser Invisibility Potion x2
- Spirit Shard x2
- Bloodberry Elixir x2
- Zergling Leash
- Heavy Netherweave Bandage x20
- Heavy Netherweave Bandage x17
- Brilliant Wizard Oil (4/5 Charges)

Netherweave Bag (1):

- Crystalforged Sword
- Devilshark Cape
- Strength of the Untamed
- Vindicator's Hauberk
- Wrynn Dynasty Legguards
- Battlescar Boots
- Vambraces of Courage
- Tankatronic Goggles
- Justicar Handguards
- Symbol of Divinity x3
- Symbol of Kings x100
- Symbol of Kings x100
- Symbol of Kings x67

Netherweave Bag (2):

- Gouging Pick
- Zapthrottle Mote Extractor
- Blacksmith Hammer
- Gyromatic Micro-Adjustor
- Arclight Spanner
- Hearthstone
- Horn of the Black War Wolf
- Flying Machine Control
- Adamantite Ore x9
- Fel Iron Ore x1
- Elementium Ore x1
- Truesilver Ore x4
- Mithril Ore x4
- Thorium Ore x9
- Bottom Shard of the Arcatraz Key
- Second Key Fragment
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Quote:- Jaggal Clam Meat x10
- Mallet of Zul'Farrak
- Fel Iron Casing x1
- Mote of Mana x8
- Mote of Earth x2
- Mote of Shadow x2
- Mote of Air x4
- Mote of Fire x3
- Mote of Life x1
- Mote of Water x3
- Elemental Blasting Powder x5
- Lv.68 green breastplate, waiting to be disenchanted
- Dense Stone x11
- Solid Stone x4
- Black Vitriol x1
- Badge of Justice x14
- Warsong Gulch Mark of Honor x12
- Arathi Basin Mark of Honor x13
- Alterac Valley Mark of Honor x14
- Eye of the Storm Mark of Honor x40
- Spirit Shard x2
- Adamantite Ore x9
- Fel Iron Ore x1
- Elementium Ore x1
- Truesilver Ore x4
- Mithril Ore x4
- Thorium Ore x9
Poor use of your bank and bank alts IMO. :P

Mine:
[Image: bagtb3.jpg]
New bags rule!
July 22 News

~~~
Well, since the NDA has been lifted, WotLK info has been coming fast and furious. Tons of great stuff, so it's hard to keep up with it all. My beta invite seems to be delayed in the mail, so I'll have to make do watching other folks go at it

First off, the Official Talent Calculators are up and working.

Pets have finally come into their own, with each Family Tree having it's own special skill. Snatch, Pin, and Nether Shock all seem like very interesting abilities.

Blizzard has also announced it's Achievements system that will go live in WotLK. Some are looking at it as all the sudden having up to 500 or so "new mini quests" to do. It does look interesting, and reminds folks that Blizzard is/can tracking a LOT of info about your toon.

One of the neat additions is that Gathering Professions will now have benefits. A nice little perk for being a gatherer.

Finally, Nitefox spots some Custom Mounts that will be available in Northrend. I didn't know that they'd moved Orange County up there...
Quote:First off, the Official Talent Calculators are up and working.

Such fun. I love the speculation coming from people. I can't tell you how many bad Mutilate builds I've seen appear as people who were spoon-fed the Combat Swords spec try to figure something they've never practiced out for themselves.

Using Cold Blood to "sustain" Cut to the Chase, taking one poison talent but not the others (they're synergistic), ignoring Quick Recovery and Fleet Footed ... oh well, at least Vulajin's in the alpha/beta and has already put up good commentary on the official beta boards.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Quote:Such fun. I love the speculation coming from people. I can't tell you how many bad Mutilate builds I've seen appear as people who were spoon-fed the Combat Swords spec try to figure something they've never practiced out for themselves.

Using Cold Blood to "sustain" Cut to the Chase, taking one poison talent but not the others (they're synergistic), ignoring Quick Recovery and Fleet Footed ... oh well, at least Vulajin's in the alpha/beta and has already put up good commentary on the official beta boards.

It looks like Blizzard is also trying to kill a number of the cookie cutter raid builds to get people to try different things.

I noticed that Survival for Hunters has got some major buffs on the high end along with Marksman to try and pull people away from using Beast Mastery for raiding.

Demonic Sacrifice has been turned into a worthless talent for non-Demonology major and Destruction is being pushed to combine in some Affliction spells. Now non-Demonology Warlocks will put a maximum of 13 talent points into Demonology.

Shadow is really looking nice now and there are a ton really good powers.

Prot Paladins are also looking really interesting.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Quote:Demonic Sacrifice has been turned into a worthless talent for non-Demonology major and Destruction is being pushed to combine in some Affliction spells. Now non-Demonology Warlocks will put a maximum of 13 talent points into Demonology.

They said Demonic Sacrifice will go back in with some changes.

Quote:Prot Paladins are also looking really interesting.

Tanking right now is completely redone due to threat changes.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!