Greetings to all loungin' lurkers from an old lurking' lounger!
- wait, which way is it? Big Grin

I'm happy to see this forum still up, props to everyone putting in the good work!  I haven't posted in a long time, much less played any D1, until recently.  I moved to Linux a few years ago and just recently discovered DevilutionX, so there I go again!  I had kept my old character save files for years on backup drives, but deleted them at some point.  It's fun starting them anew in any case.

I have to say I really appreciate the quality of life tweaks, foremost being the shared stash and the ability to hold the mouse button to attack instead of clicking frantically.  "Running" in town and fullscreen / multi-resolution are good as well.

Feel free to skip the below mixture of reminiscing & new ramblings, unless you also are a hopeless D1 addict.  Wink

I'm mainly playing Rogue, my overall favorite character, though I enjoy the other two as well.  I just like how the Rogue basically doesn't suck at anything.  It wasn't too big a deal to have lost my old save files for the characters themselves.  I never much bothered leveling a character far past clvl 40 honestly, preferring to start new ones.  I think all three were in the low-ish 40ies though, with the Rogue leading at clvl 44 or 45.  But they did have some sweet gear that will be harder to replace.

I can probably equal or best the armors I had with a bit of shopping at Gris, the better ones having been APoPrecision for my warrior and SPoSorcery for my rogue, though they had high base armor 73-75 IIRC and high respective %.  I've always wanted APoStars for either my rogue or warrior, but never found one.  So far, I have an awesome FPM of nothing 150% with average base armor as well as a Saintly FPM of Giants with decent stats.  I have been offered countless dream affix high-stats combos, though on lowly AC ~40-45 plates.

I already have a KSoH - short sword though, but still rocks!.  I have two KSoV bastards, one 98% to hit and the other not too shabby, both with average %damage.  Oh and a KSoGore bastard too, 1-2% away from perfect.

I've managed to build a decent bow collection though, the better ones so far being: heavy LWB of Swiftness (still holding out for that Massive!), Obsidian SWB of Heavens (high-ish stats), Jade LWB of Swiftness, Massive LWB of Heavens (mid-hi stats).  My new Rogue only being in the low 30ies, it still makes sense to use enhanced damage bows.  She used a savage LWB of shock for a while, but most of the former damage bows beat it either per shot or over time, though it is fun to shoot elemental arrows. Wink   IIRC my old rogue was mainly using a high-stats Obs/Heavens SWB and possibly keeping a WF for item recovery.

I found a RC and SS after a bit of Laz-running, always useful items to have.  I do like my rogue's awesome helm of the lion 142% / 15 / +56 though, so I sent the RC to my mage.  While I have almost always played my rogues with Mana-Shield and as high a mana pool as I could, I'm trying to stay with +life items and use healing with this one.  IIRC Godly Helm of the Whale is possible from Wirt, so that'd be right up her alley if I bother shopping the little brat.

The jewelry is obviously the harder to replace since it cannot be shopped for.  I have never had a single Obs/Zod, even low-stats.  And not for the lack of playing.  There have been many Zods, several +20, but hardly any with a prefix, let alone a useful one.  Maybe one with high lightning resist (pfff!) and possibly a low Drake's, though I might mis-remember.  I had some good Obs/Heaven, Drag-Drake/Heaven, Drag-Drake/Wiz-Sorc and Drag-Drake/Mammals though.  I have yet to find anything of note so far, though some that are quite usable never mind you, but it'll come.

I think I've likely managed to bore even the long-time fans by now, so will stop here.
A bit of playing and shopping have netted me a few nice items.

Saintly / Stars FPM, not the Awesome I've always wanted, but getting there.  Low base armor though, 61, a high-base Blessed could beat this one.  +11 all OTOH.  Still useful AC for a high level Rogue or mid-AC warrior setup.  Found in Hell, I forget off of whom.  Currently my Rogue's armor when going hi-AC.  I switch her setup a lot.

Saintly FPM of Ages.  Not that useful a suffix, but 74 AC + 125% make it a solid choice.  Actually yields same total AC & one less as the two vanilla Awesome FPM's I have so far.  My warrior is wearing this one at the moment.  The Saintly / Giants in the first post is on my mage, so everyone is decently outfitted if going hi-AC.  In fact, I should just sell the two Awesome FPM's.

As I was typing this post and loading characters to check gear stats, I naturally stopped to check Griswold and came across an Awesome / Ages FPM, base 71 +132%.  Always nice to get suffixed Awesome FPM's but the Saintly above beats it by 2AC.  The base AC often weighs more than the multiplier and relative nomenclature - it's important to do the math and not merely be awestruck by the name.

Several near-perfect Obsidian Sorc / Prec / Stars mails & plates.  These are fairly easy to come by.  Great for Rogues and LAW.

Godly / Mammoth GrHelm, 12 AC / +178% / +80hp.  Yields the exact same AC as my previous base 15 Awesome / Lion, but a bit more hp's.  From Wirt.

Ruby / Whale studded leather armor.  +100hp.  From Wirt.  I can get over 500hp on my rogue with the Mammoth helm and an Obs/Tiger ring and two +mana/life jewels.  Damage is not the highest, but enough to stun and I often use Swiftness bows to make up in DPS.  Forget about slinging spells though, Magic score is low in this setup, but mana is sufficient for healing & teleporting.  She also has an Obs/Tiger +50hp helm if needed, for not many fewer hp's but better overall resists.  The Ruby/Whale armor is great for dlvl 16.  Would rock for a high-level LAW as well.

Emerald / Tiger shield +45% ra / +47hp.  Excellent LAW shield, even a bit of a holy grail IMO.  It's a damn buckler though, so 16dur.  Will have to hunt for Hidden shrines or go back for repairs often.  My warrior is still outfitted with high AC for now though.  I don't have good enough jewels to trade-off the AC and go LAW.

Awesome / Tiger Gothic Shield, 18 AC +143% +42%, used by my warrior for now.

Crimson Zod ring, +20 all.  Probably the most useful prefix on a Zod I've had yet.

Several +15 heavens +16 zodiac jewels, but un-preffixed for the most part...  I could use a few decent Drake/Dragon or Jade/Obs Heavens if not Zod.

Truly had better luck with armor over weapons.  I got a Master / Haste broad sword and Master / Heavens bastard - will likely gather dust in the shared stash, though I could see the former used by my rogue to power-level in a mini-mage & melee setup in Hell / Cats.  The CC will likely be better for my mage to shatter stoned triple immunes.

I've also managed to buy my all-time favourite item of questionable value: Lightning Bastard sword of Vampires.

- Pros: cool name, elemental damage looks neat and who doesn't want mana steal?
    - Cons: I really can't find any... why isn't everyone wielding these?

As for unique items, at least useful ones, I have a Wizardspike for my mage, still holding out for DF of course.  Found a TC and have yet to up its 1AC, but I'm playing mid-hi AC on my mage for now, so no hurrry.  Got a CC as well but haven't used much yet; I like it best on Rogue.  Found an Eaglehorn - a good bow though far from the best or most useful - but still love it.  I have the Gotter / Nightscape combo, might do some stealthy runs for kicks.  I found the Holy Defender, which I've always liked for a high-level melee Rogue setup, more so than SS, with a relative -6dfe stat.
I would assume the lightning vampires is simply too slow of speed in the hands on a non-warrior class. If I’m playing melee Rogue, I just stick with either CC or good ol KSOH. A Warrior can’t really use it once he gets into nightmare or hell difficulty since there is no to-hit bonus on it.

DevX is absolutely incredible though. It’s really what vanilla should have always been.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)
Yeah, other than subjective coolness, the LSOV isn't good for much.  My warrior had a bit of fun with it in late Caves on normal, but that was over quickly enough.

I've moslty played Speed/Haste swords on Warriors before and though I've had KSOV in the past, I am really enjoying it right now and giving it more time.  His damage has got high enough that telekill on Soulburners in nightmare can be done almost potion-free including some healing.  It's a Bastard with 98% to hit.  He's still rockin' that King / Haste short sword for mages.

Also got him a Saintly / Giant FPM 75 +126% +20 STR, not too shabby!