The Hell 2 mod is now released
After all these years of development by TH team, it's finally available in released state as a playable mod.

Some core features:
1. Based on Hellfire, so it adds at least 50% more content than any other mod right now, right from the start. And before you ask, yes, it removes/corrects controversial decisions from Hellfire that David Brevik was displeased with.
2. 24 basic dungeon levels and even more special quest levels in Singleplayer mode.
3. New engine: full support for ultra HD, wide screen, window modes, borderless, fullscreen, switching them on the fly (Alt + Enter), higher framerates (up to 80fps).
4. Functioning multiplayer (through Hamachi / Zerotier + IPX wrapper).
5. ALL of the original Diablo bugs fixed. You can check DSF buglist here on LL.
6. A lot of content and modernized gameplay features: items, monsters, music, randomizations.
7. Darker atmosphere of the game. Even more diabolic than original.
8. 29 new and changed classes to play: Warriors, Archers, Sorcerers, Monks, Rogues and Savages. Some of them introduce unique gameplay style.
9. Rich options to configure: adjust the style of play to your own individual needs.
10. 4 game modes to choose from: Normal, Hardcore, Ironman and Nightmare.
11. 3 new item slots: gloves, boots, belts. 3 weapon slots to alternate between.
12. Expanded inventory. 10 x 7 instead of just 10 x 4 now.
13. New system of passive skills: Perks, which creates a unique build opportunities for each character. And perk types are specific for each class.
14. And more..

The main website for it here:
https://www.patreon.com/thmod
Since many people had complaints about hardcore features forced on them, we decided to add some new game modes. And one of them is called "Easy": features that were core element of The Hell mod are not present there. Battle lockdowns lifted, now it's allowed to leave battle through town portal and stairs, quest levels do not lock you either, overall monster and trap damage is reduced by 20% and it's allowed to save in battle.

In addition, for those who want challenge without permanent death, we added "Hard" mode. Monsters and traps do 20% more damage, and monster behavior is changed to be more aggressive.
Those sound like good game types, I think I'll check out TH2 properly. I think I made a hardcore character once, died and said, "well that was hard" but I'll give Easy mode a try, probably right up my alley.