World of Warcraft Classic Stress Test
Good day, Lurkers,

Just dropping a note to remind everyone that this is a full day of Stress Testing the WoW Classic servers for anyone with an ongoing WoW subscription.

The test lasts through tomorrow at 2 p.m. PST.

It's still a good game - nostalgia aside.

~Frag
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
Besides I presume Frag, is anyone planning to play classic when it goes live next month?
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
There were a few of us Ohio lurkers who had considered it, but the last we saw, you had to have an active, paying, normal monthly subscription, which, means none of us are going to be joining in on the fun.
Shoju.
Used to play WoW on Terenas.
Played PoE for a while, Guild Leader of the Lurker guild there. Back to playing.
Lover of stringed instruments, and the beautiful music they make.
Hey ya'll - there's another stress test happening in about 30m through tomorrow evening. Still requires an active subscription to participate in.

Yes, I don't exactly know why, but I'm planning on playing. It only helps a little, but you can spend your ingame gold to buy tokens to play Classic 'for free' - I bought them early in the year when they were dirt cheap so I don't have to pay for a while to play Classic. Prices have gone up with the new raid that came out on BFA and people realizing they could cash in their time in Live to play Classic, but depending on your wealth you can still play for free.
(08-08-2019, 05:32 PM)Frag Wrote: Hey ya'll - there's another stress test happening in about 30m through tomorrow evening. Still requires an active subscription to participate in.

Yes, I don't exactly know why, but I'm planning on playing. It only helps a little, but you can spend your ingame gold to buy tokens to play Classic 'for free' - I bought them early in the year when they were dirt cheap so I don't have to pay for a while to play Classic. Prices have gone up with the new raid that came out on BFA and people realizing they could cash in their time in Live to play Classic, but depending on your wealth you can still play for free.

Now I'm confused (which is nothing new). Is the Classic subscription an additional charge to the regular WoW subscription?
(08-08-2019, 07:30 PM)LavCat Wrote:
(08-08-2019, 05:32 PM)Frag Wrote: Hey ya'll - there's another stress test happening in about 30m through tomorrow evening. Still requires an active subscription to participate in.

Now I'm confused (which is nothing new). Is the Classic subscription an additional charge to the regular WoW subscription?

Sorry for confusing you, a few expansions ago as a way to combat gold sellers (I think) Blizz introduced the 'WoW Token' model where someone could pay them $20.00 for this token, and then sell it on the AH for a bunch of gold and the player buying it could then use the token for a 'free' month of subscription cost.

So Blizz is making $5-8 more a month than if someone is subbing the regular way and the person buying the token gets tens of thousands of gold for it. Just like anything else in the commercial space, it has cost fluctuations. Lower when demand is down, higher when demand is up.

I bought mine when everyone was depressed about the state of BFA Smile
(08-08-2019, 08:40 PM)Frag Wrote:
(08-08-2019, 07:30 PM)LavCat Wrote:

Sorry for confusing you, a few expansions ago as a way to combat gold sellers (I think) Blizz introduced the 'WoW Token' model where someone could pay them $20.00 for this token, and then sell it on the AH for a bunch of gold and the player buying it could then use the token for a 'free' month of subscription cost.

So Blizz is making $5-8 more a month than if someone is subbing the regular way and the person buying the token gets tens of thousands of gold for it. Just like anything else in the commercial space, it has cost fluctuations. Lower when demand is down, higher when demand is up.

I bought mine when everyone was depressed about the state of BFA Smile

Thanks! I understand how tokens work. I even had to buy one once when I was too broke to pay for my subscription. But my question was do you have to pay extra for classic if you have a WoW subscription?
Is there a Lurkers guild forming for WoW Classic? I am strangely tempted by WoW Classic, mostly for nostalgia's sake, and playing with Lurkers would probably push me over the edge... Smile
(08-09-2019, 04:37 PM)RTM Wrote: Is there a Lurkers guild forming for WoW Classic? I am strangely tempted by WoW Classic, mostly for nostalgia's sake, and playing with Lurkers would probably push me over the edge... Smile

I'm in.
Nope, no extra payment for playing Classic Server, just a regular BFA WoW sub.

Additional stuff I've seen today: Here are the original classic realm names: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/...pes/246645 anda nice little website - https://www.avoidstreamers.com/ still pending most info, but very helpful I feel.

Yes, I am RTM and I hear Sabra is as well. Even if I was alone I'd be in a Lurkers guild just doing my thing.
(08-09-2019, 10:14 PM)Frag Wrote: Nope, no extra payment for playing Classic Server, just a regular BFA WoW sub.

Additional stuff I've seen today: Here are the original classic realm names: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/...pes/246645 anda nice little website - https://www.avoidstreamers.com/ still pending most info, but very helpful I feel.

Yes, I am RTM and I hear Sabra is as well. Even if I was alone I'd be in a Lurkers guild just doing my thing.

What realm should we choose? And which faction? At the start of WoW we joined up with the basin with Alliance PVE and Horde PVP. But it turned out this arrangement did not please everyone. Most lurkers on Tichondrius stopped playing. There was not enough of a community to venture out of a town without being killed over and over again, sometimes all night. And on at least one occasion killed over and over *in* town.

My preference would be Alliance, but I love my Horde characters (not sure about the undead ones). I wouldn't mind trying a RP server. And I've always been fond of the Bloodsail Buccaneers. And as I recall Sabra is pretty good at sounding like a pirate. Arr.

I have a Field Marshal, and I have no distaste for PVP as long as we have enough warm bodies to make it an even fight.

Anyone know if the basin has any plans? Maybe we could go in with them again?
I figure we can have people sound off to see what everyone is interested in - I'm mostly interested in playing with the fine people here more than anything else.

Also, good news: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/...day/247137

They're running the test through 9 a.m. PST on Monday.
I've been Horde since pre-TBC days so I would lean towards Alliance for a change of pace. RP sounds fun - never done it so I'm willing to give it a shot. I would vote for Alliance Bloodsail Buccaneers.

I've got a vacation coming up the week of 8/18-8/24 so I probably wouldn't be on until after that anyway.

As someone who is out of the loop with what the cool kids are doing with gaming these days, why would you want to avoid streamers? Do they tend to attract undesirables?

EDIT: haha I see WoW classic doesn't even start till 8/26 so disregard my vacation Smile
(08-10-2019, 05:20 PM)RTM Wrote: EDIT: haha I see WoW classic doesn't even start till 8/26 so disregard my vacation Smile

But remember we in North America choose our servers and character names on 8/12...two days from now!
(08-10-2019, 05:20 PM)RTM Wrote: As someone who is out of the loop with what the cool kids are doing with gaming these days, why would you want to avoid streamers? Do they tend to attract undesirables?

Undesirables are the main reason, though I have a personal issue with their gains from hero worship warping competitiveness. Specifically I'm talking about the stream communities of 10k, 20k, or 50k active viewers and not my friend that streams that has 80 people watching him.

RTM - It had not crossed my mind to try a RP server - I would be amenable to that.

Lav - as a PvPer, I don't think my current life supports leveling in a PvP server as I am not going to have a vacation to level up earlier, sorry. We'll have battlegrounds & duels to do PvP if that's ok with you. I also can say with some confidence that other Lurkers who are going to be playing in Classic WoW would revolt about being in a PvP server.
I don't really have an interest in playing Classic, but I figured I'd chime in to assist if you're looking to pick a server that does not have annoying popular mass-streamers on it. http://www.avoidstreamers.com.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Thank you Bolty.

Heard back from Swirly over on Terenas and Bonemage was inquiring, and the Keepers Swifty (not the streamer), Krag, Busby, and Jabber are planning on playing Classic. I posted in their Discord our tentative plans and seeing what they are thinking.
Hearing no dissent I'll plan to create Alliance characters on Bloodsail Buccaneers (RP-PvE).

If anyone objects to the faction/realm choice, please respond before 6:00 EDT today.
Hi everyone! I am planning on creating a couple characters. I’m not sure how much I will play, but I would certainly prefer to play with Good People than random folks. :-)

I’m fine with RP Alliance. I have never really played on a RP server, so it might be a fun change of pace.
-TheDragoon
One thing to consider: it looks like the Amazon Basin folks are converging on Mankrik for Alliance PvE. I’ve generally found Lurkers and Basin players to have similar values, so if people wanted to play on a server with other like-minded people, I thought I’d mention it.
-TheDragoon