Broken Mirror
I've asked this question in a more technical place but one never knows what wisdom one might discover on the lounge:

I have a Windows NT 4.0 server with mirrored discs. As far as I can tell the system is running normally. However Disk Administrator shows the partitions as "Broken". How can I unbreak them?

The only available choice in the Fault Tolerance menu is "Break Mirror". I would like to restore the mirror or at least get one working disc out of it. I fear if I "break mirror" the system may not boot.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Is the OS installed on the mirror? It is strange to me that Disk Admin shows it as Broken, but offers you the option to break mirror. I do not know anything about Windows NT Server. I was curious about your problem and did a cursory search. The following links might provide some insight.

https://www.reddit.com/r/talesfromtechsu...oldschool/
https://www.experts-exchange.com/questio...blems.html

Try cloning one(or both) of the drives and booting it in a seperate system?
Typically when you see a mirror broken in disk admin means that one of the drives went bad. You're probably going to need to break it, then start checking to see if a drive is bad. You might even want to shut down the system and check things out with either the BIOS or run some disk utilities.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
When I was in IT back at the turn of the century we had software mirroring on an NT4 server. The mirror broke. Needless to say it required wiping and reinstalling (which I got to do) to truly fix and we went to a hardware RAID controller with multiple drives to do it right. Fortunately 2k server came out shortly afterward and I upgraded it to that.

Not to be negative, but your fears are valid and you should tread lightly as NT4 was extremely buggy about software mirroring. I also admit that it's been almost 19 years since I last did this, so my absolute recollections on the subject are hazy.
Way back when at work we had a system (my development system) with hardware mirroring on an (Asus) motherboard. The discs were fine but when the motherboard failed we lost everything on the discs. A replacement motherboard of the exact same model did not help.

Looking back through my system event log it's been over a year and a half since mirroring was working. Oops.
New power supply later, things are working again. I verified I could boot the system with either mirrored drive disconnected.

Thanks for the suggestions.
That's 7 seven years of bad luck.
(04-21-2019, 03:46 AM)DeeBye Wrote: That's 7 seven years of bad luck.

Since it broke over a year and a half ago that's only 5 plus more.
(04-21-2019, 03:46 AM)DeeBye Wrote: That's 7 seven years of bad luck.

Thanks for the chuckle.