Of executives and foolishness
One of the people that attneded the church I used to got promoted to the lower echelons of C-level executives with 5/3 bank. I some how find it frightening: Before he left for Cincy, I attended a presentation that he gave on some parts of the bible, and on the "proof" that the events happened. I wanted to see how this soon to be corporate big-wig thought. What I heard scared the hell out of me.

Here's a guy who firmly, 100% believes that half-angel-half-man and half-demon-half-man entities have walked the Earth. (And presumably still exist periodically in the form of "men of renown"). He went on to talk about the "evidence" that skeletons of 15 foot tall plus "humans" have been found, along with the accompanying "beds," etc. Funny, you would have thought that if such discoveries really happened, that the information would be on the front cover of Nature, Science, etc.

What I find scary is this. Here is a man who will soon be making important decisions for 5/3, and making a metric crap load of money doing it. Can 5/3, and its employees, and its customers, trust important decisions to a guy who thinks that the powers of the world are Nephilims? And, who takes revelations (perhaps the world's first LSD trip?:P... maybe some ergot from the rye/barley) seriously as a 100% accurate forecaster of what events will transpire in the world, and makes decisions accordingly? I wonder what would happen if somebody wanted to deposit $666 in a bank account;P

I guess it's not quite as scary as the beliefs found in our present administration, but still yeesh.
So, your position here is that banks should handle promotions on the basis of religious beliefs?
Quote:One of the people that attneded the church I used to got promoted to the lower echelons of C-level executives with 5/3 bank. I some how find it frightening: Before he left for Cincy, I attended a presentation that he gave on some parts of the bible, and on the "proof" that the events happened. I wanted to see how this soon to be corporate big-wig thought. What I heard scared the hell out of me.

Here's a guy who firmly, 100% believes that half-angel-half-man and half-demon-half-man entities have walked the Earth. (And presumably still exist periodically in the form of "men of renown"). He went on to talk about the "evidence" that skeletons of 15 foot tall plus "humans" have been found, along with the accompanying "beds," etc. Funny, you would have thought that if such discoveries really happened, that the information would be on the front cover of Nature, Science, etc.

What I find scary is this. Here is a man who will soon be making important decisions for 5/3, and making a metric crap load of money doing it. Can 5/3, and its employees, and its customers, trust important decisions to a guy who thinks that the powers of the world are Nephilims? And, who takes revelations (perhaps the world's first LSD trip?:P... maybe some ergot from the rye/barley) seriously as a 100% accurate forecaster of what events will transpire in the world, and makes decisions accordingly? I wonder what would happen if somebody wanted to deposit $666 in a bank account;P

I guess it's not quite as scary as the beliefs found in our present administration, but still yeesh.
There are many people in power who believe in weird stuff, but it doesn't mean that they believe that 5+3=7, which might have some issues in banking. A quick wiki of Nephilum reveals it is a common belief, and those who read the bible literally as truth would be susceptible of understanding the Nephilum to be the giants of Canaan. You probably historically might include all Jewish and Christians in the the groups who believe there was a people called Nephilim, but as you would read in the wiki, it might be for reasons other than size. Then again, the Icelandic saga's mention Norman King Rolv Ganger, (aka Rollo the Walker) who was too big to ride the horses of that day. Heard of Paul Bunyan? Maybe they are tall tales based on a grain of truth, and I'd expect the Old Testament to suffer the same type of embellishment, for those parts that were in oral tradition before being codified in the Hebrew bible.

As for the bones of giants... This is speculation, but Greek accounts reveal that while excavating some of their sites for cities they came across vast prehistoric bone beds with giant femurs and vertebrate. This may account for both the Greek and early Canaanite civilizations accounts of giants and other monsters. They really found dinosaur bone beds, and not having any clue about the creatures assumed they were either giant humans, or monsters.

Check out The First Fossil Hunters: Paleontology in Greek and Roman Times -- by Adrienne Mayor (link)

Also, regarding the biblical book of Revelations, it is one of the few apocalyptic texts which is included in the New Testament, but the impending apocalypse, and apocalyptic writing has also been an ancient Hebrew tradition. Most are also apocryphal ("being hidden away"), so people tend to focus on that one text. But, as for LSD trip, maybe for the people of the modern age, but I think back then it was akin to Dante's Divine Comedy. The problem with some Christians is their lack of scholarship and understanding of what is the truth, beyond the words. Consider the book of Job; who was present to witness the conversation between Satan and God?

Unfortunately, it is human nature to want to simplify things down to a black and white rule book, where you can readily discern who are the saints and the sinners. This was the very problem that the revolutionary Jesus attempted to change in his day. He challenged the status quo of the orthodoxy of the Jewish cleanliness laws, and the hypocrisies exhibited by the Jewish elite who believed that they were right with God by following the letter of the laws, even though in their hearts they were rife with corruption and sin. So, I guess in summation I would say that you should be careful not to scoff at what you may not understand.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:So, your position here is that banks should handle promotions on the basis of religious beliefs?

My position is this, after having listened to this guy ramble on and on about how the bible says the end of the world is coming, and coming ASAP, would you really want that mindset running your finances? After all, isn't getting ready for the rapture far more important than keeping people's money safe? It recalls to mind an article I read about some Mass. government leaders during the early days of America, when the Boston sky turned black and foreboding. Members of the body asked to adjourn so that they could go home to face the end of the world, until one finally had the common sense to say bring some candles.

*Edit*

Said person also appears to believe that all set backs, health, financial, etc. are rooted in sin. I can see the ready-made excuse now, well we made some mistake that cost our customers lots of money, but that's ok, because it's god's retribution for their sin. It wasn't the result of our actions, it was the customer's sin. You say our investment services lost your money through selling you junk securities or through internal get-rich quick schemes (UBS anybody, Wachovia anybody)? It's not us, it's god's righteous retribution for your unrighteousness and sinful nature. *Note very carefully, that all of these "sin" based arguments from people are not directed to the speakers alleged "sin" but to the audience's, which is usually the way such things work.*

*Edit 2*
There are businesses here in Naples that make hiring decisions based on religious beliefs, and no they aren't "church" related either. What, you don't tithe at least 10% of your income to a "church" well then, you can't work here.(encountered that one while looking for some part-time title work) You don't profess J.C. as your very own personal savior? Well, hit the road Jack, and don't come back. (got hit with that one while looking for some employment relating to IP matters).
Quote:... until one finally had the common sense to ...
That's the key. If this guy(or anyone really) lacks it, then he won't go very far.
Quote:...I can see the ready-made excuse now...
You are prejudging his behavior, but not on any facts of his past behavior. Again, you can be wary -- but I would reserve judgment until he actually does (or doesn't) do something.
Quote:There are businesses here in Naples that make hiring decisions based on religious beliefs...
Yup. Discrimination happens (all the time). There are laws to protect people from it, and yet in some areas the laws are more loosely enforced. Be glad that your religious beliefs are not as apparent as your skin color. I know of a very successful firm here in town that hires people on an interim basis(contract), and only after a year would they consider hiring them on full time payroll. I'm pretty sure that some of the factors considered are the persons "traditional" values and lifestyle. The owner of the company is very active in the community (and religious benevolence) in town, and I'm sure he only wants people to represent his firm that are like minded.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Can the man do his job at the bank, competently?

If so, then who is discriminating, here?
Sense and courtesy are never common
Don't try to have the last word. You might get it. - Lazarus Long