Maryland Storm Troopers kill Berwyn Heights Mayor's dogs in drug r
Quote:Hi,
Sigh, indeed. Sorry to hear that, it's always sad when we lose a friend, especially the devoted four footed type. Enjoy the time you have, and when it is time, do indeed do the Dr. Jack. Fortunately the law still lets us be kind to our animals, though it'll jail us for being kind to each other.

--Pete

Unless you live in Oregon, of course. :)

I am sorry to hear about your dog, Occhi. Our lab mix is 100 lbs. and in the neighborhood of 14-15 years old. His back legs have pretty much gone, so that we have to lift him up the two steps to get from the backyard to the house. But the rest of him, outside of his hearing, is as alert and chipper as ever that we can't bring ourselves to do the Dr. Jack just yet. He still seems to love life, if not standing so much anymore.

I hope that you are able to enjoy the time that you have with him, Occhi, and that you can recognize when the time has come.
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Quote:As a data point for you, three of the guys on the local SWAT team served in Iraq for multiple tours. I met them through a relative, who is a cop.

But were they national guard?
Quote:But were they national guard?
Two active duty, now out, one guard, still in.

Why does that matter?

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Because the implication was that guards would be less gungho and trigger happy then SWAT team members. If the people you are using as an example are regular active duty military, you would assume that on average they would be a least as gungho as SWAT types.

Quote:"The community is damaged by the continuous drug trafficking," department spokeswoman Sharon Taylor said. "This was not a failed operation, as part of our continuing investigation into drug trafficking."

They'd better change their tone soon, or they are going to be out of a job.
Quote:Because the implication was that guards would be less gungho and trigger happy then SWAT team members. If the people you are using as an example are regular active duty military, you would assume that on average they would be a least as gungho as SWAT types.
They'd better change their tone soon, or they are going to be out of a job.
You seem to have me confused with someone else. And no, the local SWAT guys are in no danger of losing their jobs, where I live. I won't dignify your assumption about what soldiers are, or are not, gung ho about once they are in other jobs, other than to point out that people tend to grow into their jobs.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Update: Federal officials have opened a civil rights investigation into a police narcotics raid on the home of a Maryland mayor in which police burst in without knocking and shot the mayor's two dogs to death.
Quote: In a statement released Friday, Prince George's County Police Chief Melvin High said he called Calvo on Thursday to tell him that in screening the case with the state's attorney's office, "it was concluded that Ms. Tomsic and the Calvo family were innocent victims of drug traffickers."

"I called him to express my sorrow and regret for that and for the loss of the family's beloved dogs," High said in the statement. A thorough review of the raid is being conducted, which is standard procedure in such cases, the department said.

The Prince George's County Police Department was in charge of the raid, and the sheriff's special operations team was assisting.
Feds investigating drug raid on small-town mayor's home

In other news, Melvin High announced his intent to retire effective August 31st. and I noticed in the PGC Police Department News that they don't advertise the successful July 29th commando raid on the mayor's house. Although, they do mention on August 8th, when they arrest two suspected drug traffickers. I enjoyed the part where they said, "it was concluded that Ms. Tomsic and the Calvo family were innocent victims of drug traffickers." -- Funny, I thought they were victims of the PGC police department.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Hi,

Quote:Funny, I thought they were victims of the PGC police department.
The power of words!

This country has declared "a war on drugs." So using military tactics in a civilian setting is right and collateral damage is acceptable. Given that they've also declared a war on poverty, I'm glad I'm middle class. :lol:

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?