Question Re: PvPGN and Diablo 1
I feel stupid for even having to ask this, but I'm setting something up in PvPGN and unsure of how to set/change the channel that the client requests when it logs in (First Join)? I've tried the channel.conf with no luck, maybe I'm missing something. Thought I'd ask before I start taking things apart...

Update:
I figured it out!
FINALLY! Big Grin

It's so easy too Blush

Just open up notepad and edit the part below in the "channel.conf" that says "CHANGE NAME HERE" to whatever you want your channel to be called. But DO NOT change the short name "Diablo Retail" or it wont work!!! - This was why it wasn't working for me. Dodgy
channel.conf
Code:
# ---special name---         -----short name-----     cltag bots- -ops- -log- ctry- realm max -mod-#
"CHANGE NAME HERE"                         "Diablo Retail"          DRTL  true  false false  NULL NULL -1   false

Rolleyes
Hmm, if you go on battle.net to the Europe gateway and visit the channel Diablo Deu-1, a friend of mine there I think used this app in the past; when we wanted to see how D1 PvP latency was on an independent server outside of bnet.

His bots names are Axis.Eu, and I believe PvP(Bot) is also his. He would almost certainly be able to help you with this.

BTW, I assume you are a fellow D1 PvP enthusiast? If so, maybe we can play a few rounds sometime - I still have all my chars and gear and play every so often. Love PvP on D1, pretty much what kept me playing the game for so many years :-)
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)
Thanks for the tip!

And, I've never done any D1 PvP before, only D2.
But I'd still be down to go a few rounds. You'll probably just end up with a stash full of my ears though ;P
Ah no worries mate.

Well, we could always duel on dlvl 16, where ears wont ever drop Smile Not that I keep ears anyway. But as I recall you are pretty new to D1. My chars are maxed out so dueling right now probably wouldn't be ideal for either of us, but I'd be more than happy to help learn about the games mechanics both PvM and PvP and maybe we can co-op sometime. The website in my sig is a great place to start, there is lots of useful information there. I also recommend Jarulf's Guide for learning about many of the games internal mechanics.

I would probably just focus on learning the basics for now before venturing into the crazy, insane realm that is PvP Smile

Sometimes, I log onto the aforementioned channel every so often, main accounts are FireIceTalon, Elessar, Ithron, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)
So I was able to get in touch with him, but he said he couldn't be of any help as it's been too long and he can't recall. So I think I'll have to grab the source, edit it, then recompile.
I still feel like it shouldn't be this hard and I'm just missing something..

And thanks, I think I seen that guide mentioned somewhere but haven't had a chance to look over it just yet. I've been trying to learn about the shrines mostly so I don't click on anything unwanted. Well maybe I'll see you online at some point and take you up on that offer to co-op Smile

For now, back to this dam problem.. *facepalm*
Wow, what a read that was!
Loads of useful information, and was very helpful in finding my hf mp save file which for some reason disappeared from the game after foolishly changing my computer name and not being able to remember what it was before. Though from what I've read, I shouldn't be having this issue with 1.09 so I'm a little confused.
For version 1.09 (and maybe 1.08) characters are stored in the Diablo folder and computer name is unimportant. For versions 1.07 and below, they are stored in windows and the computer name must be the same. Hellfire runs off of the 1.04 engine, so Hellfire characters will not show up if the computer name is changed.
(12-04-2015, 10:38 PM)Thenryb Wrote: For version 1.09 (and maybe 1.08) characters are stored in the Diablo folder and computer name is unimportant. For versions 1.07 and below, they are stored in windows and the computer name must be the same. Hellfire runs off of the 1.04 engine, so Hellfire characters will not show up if the computer name is changed.

Of course! I don't know why I didn't think of that *facepalm*
Thanks for clearing that up Thenryb Big Grin

P.S.
I updated the original post as I was able to figure out the answer to my original question.