Legion
What are people's thoughts on it? What are you excited for? What are you not? I've had this discussion on vent a couple of times. Here is my read so far on it.

Legion's return: Seems to be hit and miss. Some are not excited to see the legion again (me) feeling that it is yet more retread. I've definitely heard from some who are excited though.

Artifacts: These seem to be getting the most excitement from what I can tell. Somewhat depending on if you like the artifact you will end up with. A hunter may be super excited about the bow. A hunter may hate the gun (though we need more info before that can be said for sure). So some variance there, but in general I'm finding a lot of excitement in this.

PvP changes: I'm only hearing good here. Everyone seems to be looking forward to it.

Demon Hunters: Hit and miss again. Some people are super excited. Saying they will main them next expansion without question and have been wanting to play them forever. Others (me again.. I actually wanted wardens... the other side of the DH coin... the guards heh) are pretty meh about them. Saying they'll play the intro zone, but probably not bother beyond that. Right now I'm probably feeling there are more people meh than excited, but that could be my bias.

Class order halls: I know one person who is super excited for these. The rest seem interested. Everyone seems to be enjoying discussing where they will be and researching lore related to the classes. There are some good vibes here.

So where does everyone here stand on things? Where do you fall on all the pieces of the expansion we know about? I'm excited mostly due to Artifact weapons and PvP changes. The rest I'm not hating, but I'm not super excited for either.
Yawn.

Until they show they're realizing and reversing the core trends that have been hurting the game for multiple expansions now, it's hard for me to get excited.

They continue to make the game more single-player and lobby-driven;
They continue to invalidate their own content faster and faster, leaving less and less reason for people to stay subscribed long-term.

Will I keep playing? Yeah, probably, it's still the best game in the world. Will I be particularly excited? Not really unless I hear they're working to make this game actually multiplayer again and create a journey, not a destination.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
(08-18-2015, 08:12 PM)swirly Wrote: What are people's thoughts on it? What are you excited for? What are you not? I've had this discussion on vent a couple of times. Here is my read so far on it.

Legion's return: Seems to be hit and miss. Some are not excited to see the legion again (me) feeling that it is yet more retread. I've definitely heard from some who are excited though.

I'm one of the ones that isn't excited to return to It Only Burns When I Crusade™. There is so much more story in WoW but it seems like we are either fighting the orcs because of what the Demons did, or fighting the Undead because of what the Legion did, or fighting the demons. There are a lot of hints and lore that points towards the Old Gods being involved in pushing certain events (Arthas' downfall to the Lich King, Bolivar picking up the Helm of Domination) along with the whole Titans storylines that are pretty much unresolved and good wellsprings for story.

(08-18-2015, 08:12 PM)swirly Wrote: Artifacts: These seem to be getting the most excitement from what I can tell. Somewhat depending on if you like the artifact you will end up with. A hunter may be super excited about the bow. A hunter may hate the gun (though we need more info before that can be said for sure). So some variance there, but in general I'm finding a lot of excitement in this.

I've been using the same Steelforged Greataxe all expansion. And I have to admit - its been pretty nice to have it increase in power throughout the expansion without having to swap enchants, etc.

The downside is - I don't like the idea of Sharanna wielding Ashbringer. It will likely get transmogged as fast as I can manage.

I would like to see Blizz give a gladiator like stance for Paladins like they did for warriors. I love the idea of Sharanna playing more like a D3 paladin.

(08-18-2015, 08:12 PM)swirly Wrote: PvP changes: I'm only hearing good here. Everyone seems to be looking forward to it.

As someone who is constantly behind the PvP gearing curve (I always return to pvp late in the game) I love the concept of the changes. I just hope Blizzard can deliver on them.

(08-18-2015, 08:12 PM)swirly Wrote: Demon Hunters: Hit and miss again. Some people are super excited. Saying they will main them next expansion without question and have been wanting to play them forever. Others (me again.. I actually wanted wardens... the other side of the DH coin... the guards heh) are pretty meh about them. Saying they'll play the intro zone, but probably not bother beyond that. Right now I'm probably feeling there are more people meh than excited, but that could be my bias.

Not looking forward to seeing hundreds of xxIllidanxx demonhuntard clones.

(08-18-2015, 08:12 PM)swirly Wrote: Class order halls: I know one person who is super excited for these. The rest seem interested. Everyone seems to be enjoying discussing where they will be and researching lore related to the classes. There are some good vibes here.

Not crazy about my character being the "leader" of the order but I would love to see class related questlines that will lead you to joining one of the Orders.
(08-19-2015, 01:27 PM)Bolty Wrote: Yawn.

Until they show they're realizing and reversing the core trends that have been hurting the game for multiple expansions now, it's hard for me to get excited.

They continue to make the game more single-player and lobby-driven;
They continue to invalidate their own content faster and faster, leaving less and less reason for people to stay subscribed long-term.

Will I keep playing? Yeah, probably, it's still the best game in the world. Will I be particularly excited? Not really unless I hear they're working to make this game actually multiplayer again and create a journey, not a destination.

I would suggest that if you are looking for a game that depends on a group at end game to look at Wildstar, especially now that it's gone free to play. They released it early and have done a number of things to fix issues at end game. Considering Carbine where the guys that left Blizzard from the WoW team because they saw WoW becoming less party/group centric and lowering in the difficulty, they formed their own studio and produced Wildstar. So, if you looking for that nostalgia for having to have a group and have a harder game, you might want to give a closer look at Wildstar.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
At this point, it's so cliche to praise Blizzard's cinematic team that I don't even know what to say. Just...wow.

Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
(08-19-2015, 03:38 PM)Tal Wrote:
(08-18-2015, 08:12 PM)swirly Wrote: What are people's thoughts on it? What are you excited for? What are you not? I've had this discussion on vent a couple of times. Here is my read so far on it.

I'm one of the ones that isn't excited to return to It Only Burns When I Crusade™. There is so much more story in WoW but it seems like we are either fighting the orcs because of what the Demons did, or fighting the Undead because of what the Legion did, or fighting the demons. There are a lot of hints and lore that points towards the Old Gods being involved in pushing certain events (Arthas' downfall to the Lich King, Bolivar picking up the Helm of Domination) along with the whole Titans storylines that are pretty much unresolved and good wellsprings for story.
I guess I'm ok with the whole, good versus evil moral allegory. Where alliance and horde, are two competing forces on the mostly grey good side, and demons, forsaken, corrupted blood orcs comprise our ever present enemy.

Quote:
(08-18-2015, 08:12 PM)swirly Wrote: Artifacts: These seem to be getting the most excitement from what I can tell. Somewhat depending on if you like the artifact you will end up with. A hunter may be super excited about the bow. A hunter may hate the gun (though we need more info before that can be said for sure). So some variance there, but in general I'm finding a lot of excitement in this.

I've been using the same Steelforged Greataxe all expansion. And I have to admit - its been pretty nice to have it increase in power throughout the expansion without having to swap enchants, etc.

The downside is - I don't like the idea of Sharanna wielding Ashbringer. It will likely get transmogged as fast as I can manage.

I would like to see Blizz give a gladiator like stance for Paladins like they did for warriors. I love the idea of Sharanna playing more like a D3 paladin.
I've been following along some early alpha reviews on youtube/twitch. So far, it looks like their focus is some massive retooling of "play" to balance to be less reliant on both limited skills (one trick pony) and gauge watching timer cool down micro management.

Quote:
(08-18-2015, 08:12 PM)swirly Wrote: PvP changes: I'm only hearing good here. Everyone seems to be looking forward to it.

As someone who is constantly behind the PvP gearing curve (I always return to pvp late in the game) I love the concept of the changes. I just hope Blizzard can deliver on them.
I have yet to see anything concrete here, but I'm one who's agog on how the gear makes the man. Take off the super suit, and we're no longer heroes. I'd like to see more talent be attributed to skills, and levels. For example, if you give an elite samurai a broom handle they'd easily beat any untrained amateur using Kusanagi. It's not that way in WOW. The clothes make the {wo} man.

Quote:
(08-18-2015, 08:12 PM)swirly Wrote: Demon Hunters: Hit and miss again. Some people are super excited. Saying they will main them next expansion without question and have been wanting to play them forever. Others (me again.. I actually wanted wardens... the other side of the DH coin... the guards heh) are pretty meh about them. Saying they'll play the intro zone, but probably not bother beyond that. Right now I'm probably feeling there are more people meh than excited, but that could be my bias.

Not looking forward to seeing hundreds of xxIllidanxx demonhuntard clones.
They look fun to play from the previews I've seen. Double jump + fly = too cool. Not everyone will want to be a melee class (tank/dps). But, yes, like Pandas, DK's, and belly buttons... everybody's got one.

Quote:
(08-18-2015, 08:12 PM)swirly Wrote: Class order halls: I know one person who is super excited for these. The rest seem interested. Everyone seems to be enjoying discussing where they will be and researching lore related to the classes. There are some good vibes here.

Not crazy about my character being the "leader" of the order but I would love to see class related questlines that will lead you to joining one of the Orders.
They actually look like fun. Centered around quest lines for adding followers, and upgrading your Legendary weapon.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

(12-22-2015, 10:41 PM)kandrathe Wrote:
(08-19-2015, 03:38 PM)Tal Wrote:
Quote:[quote='swirly' pid='211778' dateline='1439928729']
PvP changes: I'm only hearing good here. Everyone seems to be looking forward to it.

I have yet to see anything concrete here, but I'm one who's agog on how the gear makes the man. Take off the super suit, and we're no longer heroes. I'd like to see more talent be attributed to skills, and levels. For example, if you give an elite samurai a broom handle they'd easily beat any untrained amateur using Kusanagi. It's not that way in WOW. The clothes make the {wo} man.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/19994381?page=1#1

Concrete stuff about it for you. Looks like you are getting what you want. Less clothes making the man and more skill.
(12-23-2015, 09:20 AM)swirly Wrote: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/19994381?page=1#1

Concrete stuff about it for you. Looks like you are getting what you want. Less clothes making the man and more skill.
Cool. I'd like it a little better if Prestige reset added at least a modifier (e.g. +2-5% to stats per prestige level). It would actually encourage PVPers to do the reset and regrind their prestige.

Then the stats for level 40-50 with 4-5 prestige resets may be better than a first time level 40-50 player.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Blizzard has just announced Legion's release date: August 30, 2016.

Yeah, I included the year there, just cause...well...yeah. :p
It's a little bit sad that the expansion won't be released until a full year after this thread was created to talk about it...

I guess the only good news is that the long delay means I will likely be able to finish the legendary rings on a few different characters, even after only focusing on one character for most of the expansion and getting a pretty late start on the questline with several characters. I do think that it will be nice to get onto something new once the summer is over. I bet a lot of school-aged kids are pretty unhappy with the timing of the release, but their parents are equally happy that they won't have to force their kids out of the house over the summer!
-TheDragoon
I was equally shocked/dismayed as they had acknowledged the big mistake of a 13 month content drought between SoO and WoD. The developer in me screams at their poor planning in not having a 6.3 and 6.4 in the pipeline while building Legion. Regular content releases are a part of the cost of a perpetual subscription system, and shouldn't be diverted into development of expansions. So, "a wag of the finger" at Blizzard money minders who are starving their cash cow.

That said, I've pre-ordered legion on my main account, and have kept somewhat apprised of the new content without spoiling it for myself. I'm cautiously excited for class halls, the new crafting model, building legendary weapons, and hopeful it isn't all too gated or inaccessible for us. I've noticed some of the best stuff drops from mythic raid bosses, so yeah, getting it all won't happen anytime soon.

(04-21-2016, 04:03 PM)kandrathe Wrote: I was equally shocked/dismayed as they had acknowledged the big mistake of a 13 month content drought between SoO and WoD. The developer in me screams at their poor planning in not having a 6.3 and 6.4 in the pipeline while building Legion. Regular content releases are a part of the cost of a perpetual subscription system, and shouldn't be diverted into development of expansions. So, "a wag of the finger" at Blizzard money minders who are starving their cash cow.

That said, I've pre-ordered legion on my main account, and have kept somewhat apprised of the new content without spoiling it for myself. I'm cautiously excited for class halls, the new crafting model, building legendary weapons, and hopeful it isn't all too gated or inaccessible for us. I've noticed some of the best stuff drops from mythic raid bosses, so yeah, getting it all won't happen anytime soon.

To be blunt, this has happened serveral times now (content droughts) and goes all the way back to Vanilla (AQ to Naxx, Hijaal to Black Temple and then on to Sunwell, Icecrown till launch of Cataclysm. It should be no surprise by now that Blizzard has been lacking on putting out major contents for a long time.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
(04-21-2016, 11:13 PM)Lissa Wrote: To be blunt, this has happened serveral times now (content droughts) and goes all the way back to Vanilla (AQ to Naxx, Hijaal to Black Temple and then on to Sunwell, Icecrown till launch of Cataclysm. It should be no surprise by now that Blizzard has been lacking on putting out major contents for a long time.
::nods vigorously::
I was not shocked, and on the brighter side, while desiring the moose mount from a heroic Archi kill, it will be ever more precious to me if I can do it without buying a carry. Blizzard is giving us (by us, I mean Avarice - we are 7/13H) the time to complete our progression through upper HFC (now 281 days after Methods world first).

(04-22-2016, 04:03 PM)kandrathe Wrote:
(04-21-2016, 11:13 PM)Lissa Wrote: To be blunt, this has happened serveral times now (content droughts) and goes all the way back to Vanilla (AQ to Naxx, Hijaal to Black Temple and then on to Sunwell, Icecrown till launch of Cataclysm. It should be no surprise by now that Blizzard has been lacking on putting out major contents for a long time.
::nods vigorously::
I was not shocked, and on the brighter side, while desiring the moose mount from a heroic Archi kill, it will be ever more precious to me if I can do it without buying a carry. Blizzard is giving us (by us, I mean Avarice - we are 7/13H) the time to complete our progression through upper HFC (now 281 days after Methods world first).
It probably helps that we're very casually raiding; I imagine if we had longer raid nights we'd already have Heroic Archi killed, and have done many of the achieves.
[Image: NewSig.png]
Release your inner dwarf. . .then get him some ale.
WoW Characters:
-Stormrage: Espy, Cafelam, RareCross, EspyLacopa
Legion has a hidden camera feature called "Action Camera" that doesn't appear in the default interface options.

Evidently there is supposed to be a big reveal on Friday. My first guess was, since the personalities are YouTube and streaming personalities, that WoW was going to have a streaming client.

But then I saw today's MMO post.

[Image: 6HiinMM.jpg]

And I think Bolty may have been on to something with his crazy ranting that Blizzard might lift the divide between the Alliance and the Horde.

But I think it will function like Mercenary mode and allow friends of opposite factions group up.
So everyone ready to go with Legion? After cleaning out my bags and bank space, I still need to work through it with the wife.

Have you stocked up on your beverage of choice, snacks, depends undergarments, and told your loved ones you love them very much?

We'll likely face long queue times for the next couple of weeks, use that time to get up and do some stretches - this will allow you to game for longer periods of times!

Good luck all and remember I am proud of you!
(08-29-2016, 04:02 PM)Tal Wrote: So everyone ready to go with Legion?

Yep! Not going to pull an all nighter or or take tomorrow off though. I can handle being one or two days behind on Artifact Knowledge. I doubt anyone is going to care that much in Avarice or elsewhere.

Hype!
~Frag
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
Goodbye, sweet garrison!

Also,

So, by far and away Blizzard's smoothest expansion launch ever. No lag, no crashes, no restarts, no queues on my high-pop server. Their shard technology that they've been implementing over the last few months has really come through for them. After the total meltdown disaster that was WoD's launch, they've clearly placed a lot of importance on getting it right this time.