Strange bug in Multiplayer: can't pick some items of loot
Hello to everyone, and first of all, I want to say that this website is awesome, I'm very glad to see other people that still enjoing with Diablo and Hellfire game and doing possible to continue playing.

I'm playing with the Hellfire v1.02.A4 by UDP and Hamachi with my cousin (he's the host). The game in general works great, but, sometimes, it happens a strange bug.

Sometimes I can see ítems in floor that he can't see, but I can't pick them, when I try it, the item keeps in floor and some seconds after it disappears. At the same time, happens that he can see items that I can't see too, but he can pick them without problems.

For more details, everytime I join his game I see the message "XXX is already in game" (where "XXX" is the name of his character) but the games continues and nothing happens. And often it appears too a message saying that has been detected a duplicated item.

An example of all this: when we pick the cow quest, after talk the Complete nut farmer, I see the bomb rune (to open the Nest) dropping, but I can't pick it, and it dissapear; my cousin doesn't see it. Then, if he talk to the farmer, he gets the rune bomb without problem (but I can't see it when it gets dropped).

Finally, when we find the Teodore bear, or the Brown suit, I can't pick them, if I click on the items nothing happens, and my cousin can; so, only him can complete the quest and get the award.

Does someone know this error? Is a known bug or maybe is just my problem?

Greetings and thanks for all your help and your attention, and sorry my mistakes while typing (I'm not english).
Although I can't speak to Hellfire specifically, what you are describing seems to be the normal, quirky nature of Diablo multiplayer. Diablo uses a peer to peer setup, where each computer has its own version of the game world's reality, which hopefully is pretty closely matched to the other players. But there isn't one dominant server demanding that everyone stay synced up with it at all costs. As a result the game usually runs super smooth... until one of these disagreements causes something bizarre to happen. When there is disagreement about whether the item you picked up actually exists, it seems to be decided in favor of the computer that hosted the game. That's why your cousin was able to pick up his version of the items but you weren't. Sometimes due to one player leaving the level you might both end up with the item which would lead to the duplicate item message later on.

We used to have all kinds of strange things happen as a result of desync, especially when one player was on Mac and the others on Windows. Somehow the Mac port actually had slightly different level generation than the Windows version, particularly in the catacombs levels. Not just items but disagreements on shrines and even the type of monsters on the level.
Nystul Wrote:Although I can't speak to Hellfire specifically, what you are describing seems to be the normal, quirky nature of Diablo multiplayer. Diablo uses a peer to peer setup, where each computer has its own version of the game world's reality, which hopefully is pretty closely matched to the other players. But there isn't one dominant server demanding that everyone stay synced up with it at all costs. As a result the game usually runs super smooth... until one of these disagreements causes something bizarre to happen. When there is disagreement about whether the item you picked up actually exists, it seems to be decided in favor of the computer that hosted the game. That's why your cousin was able to pick up his version of the items but you weren't. Sometimes due to one player leaving the level you might both end up with the item which would lead to the duplicate item message later on.

We used to have all kinds of strange things happen as a result of desync, especially when one player was on Mac and the others on Windows. Somehow the Mac port actually had slightly different level generation than the Windows version, particularly in the catacombs levels. Not just items but disagreements on shrines and even the type of monsters on the level.

Thanks for your answer. So, it's a sync bug, I supossed it.

Well, is not too much annoying, the game can be played perfectly, but I wanted to know more about the issue and know if it had solution.

Greetings and thanks again.
My Heaven, your Hell.