[Help!] Strange Graphics Problem !
I've used D1 / Hellfire a great deal on Win7 in the past without issue, but just put together a new machine and have the oddest problem. Attached are the youtube links to what is happening. Sorry for the quality - Had to camera it as screencapture won't pick it up properly. It effects both d1 and Hellfire in the same manner. It doesn't seem to be the same color issue as the normal DirectDraw problem.

The links:
http://youtu.be/ocOeko6YKX0
http://youtu.be/AckVYy0No6U

Relevant System Info

Win 7 64 bit
Ati 7950 with CCC 13.9 and 13.152. 2D driver version 8.01

Things I've tried:

1. Explorer on / off before starting the program
2. Every compatibility option.
3. DirectDraw Compatibility Tool
4. Registry changes for Direct Draw
5. DD Hack http://sol.gfxile.net/ddhack/

Anyone run into this before? Just seems very strange.
My guess is that your gfx card doesn't support the mode they were using back then. If your motherboard has an onboard chip, try disabling the card and using that instead to see if it now works. If so, you can try finding different drivers for the ATI card.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
(10-19-2013, 07:46 PM)LennyLen Wrote: My guess is that your gfx card doesn't support the mode they were using back then. If your motherboard has an onboard chip, try disabling the card and using that instead to see if it now works. If so, you can try finding different drivers for the ATI card.

I've tried a few different ones versions - but haven't had much luck. I'll give onboard a try and see what happens.
No luck! Anyone ever seen anything quite like this before? Tried different monitors / cables refresh rates, alternate DVI modes. Still stumped.
Iruian, do you know about virtual machines?
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
(10-19-2013, 09:57 PM)Frag Wrote: Iruian, do you know about virtual machines?

Yep - A bunch. It runs fine in a XP VM and on my Linux box using playonlinux + tweaks. This is just annoying me - the challenge of it makes it fun.

Update- I did figure out that if I manually set my machine to 256 colors on any resolution I'm getting a full color inversion with exactly the same effect for the whole desktop. Just need to figure out if it is the card or the drivers at this point. I'll post what I find out for future reference.
Update- Figured it out! AMD ATI Graphics drivers the newest version 13.9 has a bug with some of the newer cards that causes a color inversioin only in 256 bit mode. You can test if you have this problem by going into "screen resolution" then advanced settings then " Adapter Tab. Hit List all modes and pick any of the 256 modes. The colors should change, but if you get a full color swap that is inverted you have the same issue I had. You need to downgrade your ATI drivers to 13.4 or earlier for it to work properly 13.9 doesn't work and neither do the new beta drivers. I hope they fix it in the new drivers. Hopefully this helps someone someday!
Thanks for this find. I wonder if it applies to Win 8 as well, I've met a few people lately that are having the color bug when trying to play D1 on that OS.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)
For what it's worth, I had a similar sort of graphical glitching in Windows 7 32-bit, and fixed it using compatibility settings.

1. Create shortcut to Diablo.exe, Hellfire.exe, HellfireFixed.exe, loader.exe or whatever game file you are running.

2. Right click the shortcut, Properties > Compatibility Tab

- Set compatibility mode to Windows XP (SP3)
- Tick box to run in 256 colors
- Tick box to run in 640 x 480
- Tick box to disable visual themes
- Tick box to disable desktop composition
- Tick box to run as administrator

3. Run the shortcut.

Your mileage may vary.
I hope I'm not too late! But recently I have discovered that newer graphics cards (including your card) can sometimes have driver issues with Diablo (as you've already figured out.

In order to circumvent this, instead of downgrading your drivers, I have developed a new compatibility solution (just today infact, while I was building a computer as a family members christmas present! I experienced this on an R9 280X)

As far as I can tell this also works with Hellfire, and probably works alright for mods as well:

Step1: download the "Diablo1 win vista/7" patch here: http://strangebytes.com/index.php?option...&Itemid=60

Its not really a patch, more of a wrapper, but in anycase it gets the job done.

the above patch also allows Diablo to be run in windowed mode, and in non-native resolutions! So if you ever wanted to multitask, or for whatever reason, run Diablo in higher resolutions, you can do that as well.

Just make sure to edit the diablopatch.ini, and to turn vsync off if you plan on running the game fullscreen, as it can make the menu's not display properly(though they are still functional)

you will alsohave to adjust the settings based on whether you want to run the game in windowed or fullscreen mode.

Alternatively, if you run the game in a widescreen resolution fullscreen, you will get alot of screen tearing, and in that case it may be in your best interests to turn on vsync and just deal with the messy menu's.

I recommend a hi-res 4:3 resolution, like 800x600, 1024x768, or the like. EDIT: Athough I suppose you could use 1920x1080 as your chosen resolution if you really wanted to - I've been doing so successfully for the last few hours with vsync turned on. from what i can tell about the menu's, sometimes they may flicker a little, and animations on them seem to slowdown/stop when you move the mouse (the cursor still moves however) so all of the menu's themselves are still functional. there was a little bit nastier flickering on my other computers which had driver issues though (but no crashes or anything) and it subsided when i left the menu's and got into the game anyways, and on those computers, the flickering seemed to be explicitly vsync related. however, its not like it damages the playability of the game however - infact this type of menu error is almost like a watered down version of the menu rendering error you get with linux after running wine with a direct draw hack - difference being the menu doesnt totally freeze until you move, and the menu always recovers when it flickers out, whereas on linux you pretty much have to alt tab out and back in.

Step2: Navigate to your Diablo directory, and create a new batch file, called "Diablo.bat"

edit your batch file, and place the following line of code into it:

Code:
start /affinity 1 Diablo.exe

or

start /affinity 1 Hellfire.exe

or

start /affinity 1 *name of mod executable*.exe

after which you may also add the following line just to keep the cmd prompt open, should you need to read an error or the like:

pause

in essence the entire file should look like the following example:

start /affinity 1 Diablo.exe
pause

The reason for this batch file is when modifying the resolution or draw surface of diablo, if you dont force the game to run on a single core(which you should anyways) it causes the game to crash very frequently, and otherwise be unstable.

You may want to make a desktop shortcut for this file as well for the sake of convenience.

Step3: Insert your DiabloCD, and run your batch file. Diablo should now play perfectly without any errors!

although as far as I could tell, I couldnt get this to work exactly right over battlenet, and I couldnt read the error pertaining to why. HOWEVER, the game runs perfectly 100% compatible over hamachi, tunngle, and even local LAN with vanilla unwrapped diablo (although this requires that you also put ipxwrapper in the directory.

-----------

I will test it more thoroughly tomorrow morning, but as of now this is a very good solution, possibly one of the best compatibility solutions yet. I am actually curious to see if it works with Windows8.

Once that is done, I will add it to the compatibility guide.

In anycase, I hope this was of some help to you!

EDIT: this solution seems to trigger a battlenet versions error. However, the strange thing is that it is completely compatible with the vanilla game in multiplayer. I suppose that is just one more additional reason to be making the shit to hamachi, tunngle and other such programs?

EDIT: also if you initially encounter an issue where your mouse wont show up at first after booting the game, all you really have to do is move it around alot and click in random places (or at least thats what i did) and it will reappear after a few seconds.

EDIT: also when alt+tabbing out of the game and then going back in, you may notice you get a black screen. this black screen is also recoverable - just simply press ESC or bring up a menu, and the screen automatically redraws itself and displays properly again.
Quote:
I can see what you see not
Vision milky, then eyes rot
When you turn they will be gone
Whispering their hidden song
Then you see what cannot be
Shadows move where light should be
Out of darkness, out of mind
Cast down into the halls of the blind