Aspects of America
Hello all!

I currently work as an English teacher at a upper secondary/high school, and we're about to do the chapter on US history. I was thinking that it would be an interesting idea to assign each student (16-17 year olds) one specific phrase or terminology that they investigate and write about. Ideally, these phrases should be unfamiliar to Norwegian students, and they should illustrate one (or more) aspect(s) of American society, history, culture and ideology.

I'm thinking of terms such as:
* Manifest Destiny (migration)
* Old Money (economic values)
* Rags-to-riches (culture)
* E pluribus unum (ideology)
* "No taxation without representation" (History)
* "...with liberty and justice for all." (Patriotism, religion)

The idea (however misguided it may be;)), is that students will choose freely from this list of subjects, brave the vast libraries of teh intarweb and write a short report explaining this term. As a collection, these reports will then illuminate important aspects of America that our text book may only cover superficially.

My question to you, dear Lurkers, is: Can you think of any other phrases or terms that would fit into this type of teaching strategy? I'm sure there are loads, and I'll have to be picky and only select the most important ones. Also, these are 16-17 year old Norwegians, so it can't be too technical or obscure.

Thanks for your help!
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Quote:Angel' date='Sep 29 2008, 04:14 AM' post='154338']
Hello all!

I currently work as an English teacher at a upper secondary/high school, and we're about to do the chapter on US history. I was thinking that it would be an interesting idea to assign each student (16-17 year olds) one specific phrase or terminology that they investigate and write about. Ideally, these phrases should be unfamiliar to Norwegian students, and they should illustrate one (or more) aspect(s) of American society, history, culture and ideology.

The idea (however misguided it may be;)), is that students will choose freely from this list of subjects, brave the vast libraries of teh intarweb and write a short report explaining this term. As a collection, these reports will then illuminate important aspects of America that our text book may only cover superficially.

My question to you, dear Lurkers, is: Can you think of any other phrases or terms that would fit into this type of teaching strategy? I'm sure there are loads, and I'll have to be picky and only select the most important ones. Also, these are 16-17 year old Norwegians, so it can't be too technical or obscure.

Thanks for your help!

54-40 or fight?
Remember the Alamo?
From my cold dead hands?
I regret that I have but one life to give for my country?
In God we trust?
Four score and seven years ago?
Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?
You're either with us or against us?
It's the economy, stupid?
I am not a crook?
Plastics?
I cannot tell a lie, I did it with my trusty axe?
The nattering nabobs of negativity?
I have a dream?

I'm sure there are only a zillion others, but those are the ones off the top of my head, some perhaps facetious, but all of which have at least some teachable value.

-Jester

One more, this one might actually be good: The customer can have any colour he wants, so long as it's black.

Okay, two more: These are the times that try men's souls.

I'm an addict now: Turn on, tune in, drop out.
My suggestion:
I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

Ok... really, not joking this time.

Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country

EDIT: I suggest this one, as one they may not know because I just recently found out that my sister-in-law, who was no slouch in school, had never heard this before, let alone knew what it meant. She is 20, so I would assume that a group of kids a little younger and from another country might not know much about this quote.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
No Taxation without Representation

Give them Tarleton's quarter

If we don't hang together, we'll all hang separately.

One if By Land, Two if By Sea

Don't shoot until you see the whites of their eyes.

When in doubt, let your horse figure it out.

America is a large, friendly dog in a very small room. Every time it wags its tail, it knocks over a chair.

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me: I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

A closed mouth gathers no boots.

Tippecanoe and Tyler Too

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.

Ask not what your country can do for you, but rather what you can do for your country.

I say to you today, my friends, so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream.

Not being a K.N. [Know-Nothing] I am left as a sort of waif on the political sea with symptoms of a mild sort towards Black Republicanism.

Castro couldn't even go to the bathroom unless the Soviet Union put the nickel in the toilet.

I'm glad I'm not Brezhnev. Being the Russian leader in the Kremlin. You never know if someone's tape recording what you say.

Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.

My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing begins in five minutes.

There is but one language which can be held to these people, and this is terror.

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all.

Yes, as through this world I've wandered I've seen lots of funny men; Some will rob you with a six-gun, and some with a fountain pen.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Give me liberty or give me death
Don't tread on me

My two cents
'Me not that kind of Orc' - lazy peon
"Lafayette, we are here."
"Retreat? Hell, we just got here."
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Some beauties from William Tecumsah Sherman:

"I am sick and tired of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.
War is hell."

"An Army is a collection of armed men obliged to obey one man. Every change in the rules which impairs the principle weakens the army"

"War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueler it is the sooner it will be over."

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want."

From John Paul Jones:

"I have not yet begun to fight."

"He who will not risk, cannot win."

Another American expression:

"Smile when you say that, mister."

The cultural model behind that last is worth one of your students discovering, since it is foreign to Europeans, who have become docile and tame.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:The cultural model behind that last is worth one of your students discovering, since it is foreign to Europeans, who have become docile and tame.

Occhi

Unlike Americans, who remain bellicose? :whistling:

/ducks

I just couldn't resist. One cheap shot deserves another, eh?
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Hi,

Quote:"Smile when you say that, mister."
From the only Western novel worth reading, The Virginian. The actual wording, I think, is "Smile when you call me that." And another life lesson from that great book -- always check that your weapon works:)

Obligatory on topic response: "What are they gonna do, send me to Vietnam?" :whistling:

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

"As American as apple pie."

Question, is apple pie really American? What is the significance behind identifying this particular fruit and pastry dessert with traditional American family values? Why not cake? Why not cookies? Why pie? Why!?
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Quote:"As American as apple pie."

Question, is apple pie really American? What is the significance behind identifying this particular fruit and pastry dessert with traditional American family values? Why not cake? Why not cookies? Why pie? Why!?

The origin of that phrase is clear as day. The domesticated apple has that most American of qualities: it was made in China. ;)

-Jester
How about the Truman Doctrine

Kennedy: I am Berliner

Red Scare
"The job of saving the lives of those who are sinking is the task of those who are sinking" - Ostap Bender
"Only a fool fights a battle he knows he can not win" - Ghengiz Khan
Home of Avro Arrow Replica
Tatar Community of Toronto
Quote:How about the Truman Doctrine

Kennedy: I am Berliner

Red Scare

"The Soviet Union and its satellites were invited to cooperate in the European recovery program. They rejected that invitation. More than that, they have declared their violent hostility to the program and are aggressively attempting to wreck it." -- Harry S. Truman special message to Congress

"Ich bin ein Berliner" would be the exact quote.

Better red than dead?

I'll add one too! :)

"Gore said foreigners are not worried about 'what the terrorist networks are going to do, but about what we're going to do.' Good. They should be worried. They hate us? We hate them. Americans don't want to make Islamic fanatics love us. We want to make them die. There's nothing like horrendous physical pain to quell anger. Japanese Kamikazes pilots hated us once, too. A couple of well-aimed nuclear weapons got their attention. Now they are gentle little lambs."
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Quote:Angel' date='Sep 29 2008, 06:14 AM' post='154338']
Hello all!

Thanks for your help!

I feel sorry for you you poor bastard. You couldn't pay me enough to deal with the little hellions that humanity produces. While I don't share the christian belief that all children are born evil because of satanic influence, I believe that all children are evil. As stated in the Dilbert cartoons... where's a flamthrower when you need one?

No taxation without rep... it's Called Washington, D.C. take a look at what their license plates used to say. Also called, Illinois pesonal income tax for non-residents.

With liberty and justice for... those with money, power, influence, "christian values", etc. For the rest of the people, well, burn in hell for all eternity. Justice is a funny concept... like the new "bail out" package that would reward people who bought up bad debt by paying the with government funds:P

Why study American ideas anyway? Sounds like dealing with Norway. In just about everyway imaginable they kick America's ass. Seriously: we're on the backwards slide to mediocrity driven by incessant demands for "morals," "values," and most importantly paying dues to "christ." Why study this, unless you want to know how to avoid it? We were once a great nation ... now we're a nation ... and probably soon to be just a notion.

Here's one "Only the little people pay taxes":)

Here's another "Everything the could be invented has been invented" Director of the U.S. Patent office circa 1890.

Quote:"Gore said foreigners are not worried about 'what the terrorist networks are going to do, but about what we're going to do.' Good. They should be worried. They hate us? We hate them. Americans don't want to make Islamic fanatics love us. We want to make them die. There's nothing like horrendous physical pain to quell anger. Japanese Kamikazes pilots hated us once, too. A couple of well-aimed nuclear weapons got their attention. Now they are gentle little lambs."

I thought he was teaching History, not Zoology.

-Jester
Quote:Why study American ideas anyway? Sounds like dealing with Norway. In just about everyway imaginable they kick America's ass. Seriously: we're on the backwards slide to mediocrity driven by incessant demands for "morals," "values," and most importantly paying dues to "christ." Why study this, unless you want to know how to avoid it? We were once a great nation ... now we're a nation ... and probably soon to be just a notion.

Here's one "Only the little people pay taxes":)

Here's another "Everything the could be invented has been invented" Director of the U.S. Patent office circa 1890.
Even if I were to agree with you, both the idea of America and America itself warrant study in my opinion. Also, for me, despite the portrayal of recent events in European media, I still have a highly romanticised, idealised notion of what the US *was*: Dilligence, equality, liberty. Although some people (both US and European) are highly critical of the US these days, I still love the idea of America.

Thanks for all the tips, guys and gals!:)Will report back in 2 weeks time when my students have had their oral presentations.:)Several of my kids seemed pretty psyched when they got their topic. "Manifest Destiny... what the hell is that?" Some of them couldn't wait to find out what some of these terms and quotes meant.
Quote:Angel' date='Oct 2 2008, 10:47 PM' post='154620']
Even if I were to agree with you, both the idea of America and America itself warrant study in my opinion. Also, for me, despite the portrayal of recent events in European media, I still have a highly romanticised, idealised notion of what the US *was*: Dilligence, equality, liberty. Although some people (both US and European) are highly critical of the US these days, I still love the idea of America.

Hmm, me personally I like America, I have been there many times, met a lot of people of whom the majority were great, but I don't share you romantic view of what the US stands for.
Don't you in Norway have liberty, equality etc.? I think you do, you probably just have a different opinion on what is liberty. What the US does is creating an image of being 'the true democracy' and 'the land of the free' etc.etc. I think this disregards the fact that in many other countries things are at least as good only different. (this is of course all because of a historic facts; the religious outcasts that all moved there to be free).
Many Americans find it freedom that they have the right to carry a gun, I find it freedom that I can smoke a joint when I want, or drink a beer on the street. Who is right? Both, or both are wrong, it is just a difference of opinion. But I don't think it is right to think that the US would be more equal, diligent or free than Norway.
Quote:Hmm, me personally I like America, I have been there many times, met a lot of people of whom the majority were great, but I don't share you romantic view of what the US stands for.
Don't you in Norway have liberty, equality etc.? I think you do, you probably just have a different opinion on what is liberty. What the US does is creating an image of being 'the true democracy' and 'the land of the free' etc.etc. I think this disregards the fact that in many other countries things are at least as good only different. (this is of course all because of a historic facts; the religious outcasts that all moved there to be free).
Many Americans find it freedom that they have the right to carry a gun, I find it freedom that I can smoke a joint when I want, or drink a beer on the street. Who is right? Both, or both are wrong, it is just a difference of opinion. But I don't think it is right to think that the US would be more equal, diligent or free than Norway.
The idea of America, is that you may have the "right" to some things even if the government passes a law forbidding it. I do believe that I have the right to smoke cannabis whenever I would like, or take any drug I so desire. I believe that, even though many have chosen to try to legislate morality. I believe also that the federal government has overstepped its authority into many areas by misusing vague constitutional language, like the interstate commerce clause. The Commerce Clause, in pertinent part, provides that Congress has the authority "[t]o regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes." At the time of the writing of the Constitution commerce was understood to be the intercourse or exchange of one thing for another, the interchange of anything; trade; traffick. The misuse of this to regulate what citizens can grow or sell goes back to 1942, FDR's administration and Wickard v. Filburn.
Quote:In 1942, the Court considered the constitutionality of FDR’s Agricultural Adjustment Act. In Wickard v. Filburn, the Court was presented with the question of whether Congress could regulate a farmer’s growing of wheat intended solely for consumption on his farm. A local activity, lectured the Court, can "be reached by Congress if it exerts a substantial economic effect on interstate commerce." Although the 11.9 acres of wheat in question did not seem to affect interstate commerce, the Court reasoned that the farmer’s wheat, "taken together with that of many others similarly situated, is far from trivial." Because the growing of wheat for home consumption by hundreds or thousands of farmers could affect the demand and price of wheat, the acts of a solitary bucolic soul fall under Congress’ power to regulate commerce.
It is nonsense like this, where a man cannot grow wheat for his own consumption, that has rendered citizens more and more impotent in the face of growing federal tyranny.

Common Sense Americanism -- Wickard v. Filburn

I honestly don't really care who runs the country or care much about what the government does because it ultimately doesn't affect me a great deal. I don't have enough money that taxes (whether an increase or decrease in them) really matter much to me, and what someone's views on abortion or whatever are... why does that matter? Why is it the government's job to regulate that? Let the churches and other religious fanatics argue it till they're black in the face - it's not a big deal.

That said, I do believe that America is the best country to live in and be part of in the world (no offense to you Norwegians, of course:)) and that all these people running around and crying about tyranny and unfairness and whatever... just freaking leave and go to wherever you think the grass is greener. Once you're there for a few years, we'll talk again and see if you still feel the same way you did back then:P
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Quote:Don't you in Norway have liberty, equality etc.?
Yes, we do.

I'm not comparing the US to my country. I'm talking about my infatuation with the idea of "Old America", the nation that put liberty and freedom of religion and speech first. Norway ranks second when it comes to number of emigrants to the US (surpassed only by Ireland) compared to their original population. The reason for that was a very oppressive Norwegian class system back in the 1800s. The glory of The New World and all its potential faced by those few brave enough to risk the voyage and the great unknown plains of the Americas, is - to me at least - praiseworthy. The American Dream - sucess through dilligence, honesty and hard work - is an ideal that appeals a great deal to me personally.